Quiet hubs? I want it all...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Quiet hubs? I want it all...

Okay...I know I am going to get some flak on this but here it goes...
    I want a quiet hub also read(NOT EXPENSIVE)..SS hub. I don't care if it is a cassette hub or SS specific... I just want quiet and inexpensive. I don't want to pay more than 200.00 for the pair of hubs. Just trying to build an inexpensive ride that I can enjoy and not break the budget.
    Thanks Chris

mtbr member
    The quietest hubs are the fixed ones, also cheap.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Shimano XT. Good quality, quiet. Well less than $200.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will look into the Shimano XT's. Thanks

I also forgot to mention (This also in the "I want it all portion") I don't really want skewers.
    I would rather have the regular way of just a tightening nut as I am useing a Surly 1X1 frame, I don't trust skewers in slideing dropouts.

Can you convert a skewered hub to the other way?
    Chris

Yo.
    Most hubs that use cup-and-cone bearings (Shimano hubs included) can be converted with a solid axle and nuts for relatively little cost. Hubs that have sealed bearings may have a proprietary axle that may not be easily had in a solid, threaded version.

As far as quiet, non-fixed hubs go, you could try and find an older Shimano roller-clutch freehub; IIRC, LX and maybe STX-RC hubs from the mid-90s had this feature as an option.

A more modern version is the True Precision Stealth hub, but it's a little more than you have budgeted.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Surly hub + ACS freewheel = quiet and cheap

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The Joytech single speed specific rear hub which came stock on my Raleigh XXIX is ridiculously quiet were talking silent. I know its not the best quality but Ive had no troubles and it is running strong. I also have a bike with a Shimano XT hub its much louder.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I have a shimano silent clutch hub, that should be pretty quiet.

Birthday Collector
    I'll second the "cheapo" Joytech hubs - mine are 3+ years old, not one problem and tons of hilly miles and some rough terrain and conditions. One of the things I like so much about my bike is the near-silence while riding it.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's funny is I want the opposite, The trail I ride the most has tons of blind corners and is really popular with walkers, A loud freewheel would be awesome give them a warning when Im coming down the trail. Wanna Trade?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgtlbliss
    Surly hub + ACS freewheel = quiet and cheap
    I second this.
    True North custom chromoly SS Rigid 29er. FUN+

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an old lx silent clutch on my bike (just converted it from geared to singlespeed).

Its dead quiet freewheels really easily and has quite a lot of engagement points (for a shimano hub).

It is really heavy though and has no provision for disc brakes (not sure if they ever made a disc brake version), and the engagement is a little spongey, it not too bad but you can tell the difference between it and a pawl type.

The axle is easy peasy to change out for a solid 10mm axle as well.

If you hunt around you'll find some bike shops which still have then new, and cheap.

Most shimano hubs are pretty quiet anyway (if not a bit of oil in the freewheel helps) you'll notice the tyre noise more than the freewheel noise.

Members who have read this thread: 0