Quick Questions about cogs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick Questions about cogs

I'm building up my first singlespeed so help me out please.

Will the rear cogs with the wide base, 4 to 5mm, work with an aluminum free hub body without gouging it?

If I get a hub with a steel free hub can I use the inexpensive steel stamped cogs without damage?

I'm using a LX crank that I have already, do I need a single speed chainring?

Thank you

Chronic 1st-timer
    1: Click the FAQs link on the upper right of the page
    2: Read vast amounts of info regarding SSs
    3: ??
    4: Profit
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Get a good hub. If aluminum, the steel cogs like chris king will be fine. The majority of all cassetts are steel and don't do damage. Good gogs fit better then stamped cheap ones. Poor fit does do some damage. Your existing middle ring will be fine, but will take some wear. A bash guard will help, but doesn't look as cool as going without.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    I'm building up my first singlespeed so help me out please.

Will the rear cogs with the wide base, 4 to 5mm, work with an aluminum free hub body without gouging it?

If I get a hub with a steel free hub can I use the inexpensive steel stamped cogs without damage?

I'm using a LX crank that I have already, do I need a single speed chainring?

Thank you
    yes to the first two questions. There are plenty of hubs ranging from decent to great that have steel freehubs. Many people end up getting wide based cogs anyway though because all the nice cogs have wide bases. I wish I could still use those stamped cogs because it makes it so cheap to have lots of gearing options, but alas my new hub has an aluminum freehub

AZ
    banned
    You do not need a single speed chainring . A single speed chainring does however have teeth with a higher profile which engages the chain better .

Members who have read this thread: 0