Quick headset ? for Bianchi SASS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Quick headset ? for Bianchi SASS

Picked up a SASS frame from a buddy who's looking for more SSers to ride with and am building it up on the cheap. The headset is shot and I was looking for information about what style I need to get (once I know that I can bargin hunt and go cheapish). I am overly confused about how to choose the type of headset, and no only a little more about road bikes.

So, what size and type would I be looking for? I'll be using the stock rigid fork that came with it. Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by dmabraham
    Picked up a SASS frame from a buddy who's looking for more SSers to ride with and am building it up on the cheap. The headset is shot and I was looking for information about what style I need to get (once I know that I can bargin hunt and go cheapish). I am overly confused about how to choose the type of headset, and no only a little more about road bikes.

So, what size and type would I be looking for? I'll be using the stock rigid fork that came with it. Any help is appreciated.

Dan

since most frames are designed to use a 1 1/8 inch headset then that should be your size , maybe ask AKA Brad since he has a SASS for the correct size. Cane Creek makes a pretty reliable and relatively cheap thread-less headset:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...3+Headset.aspx
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

openwound
    I've got a SASS -- it's just a 1-1/8 inch headset. Nuck's got good advice, cane creek makes some good, inexpensive headsets.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i've had an aheadset that's been on my bike since at least 2006, and i think i even got it used. I've had cane creek headsets as well with no issues, however, my buddy has had a bunch of problems with the cane creek that came on his Ibis, although that is an integrated headset, which your bike does not use.

Retro Grouch
    The SASS takes a standard 1 1/8 threadless headset and indeed the Cane Creek S3 is the best bang for the buck. The SASS comes with your basic sts Aheadset that you can find for around $20; the main difference being the S3 has sealed bearings. I ended up with a Crank Bros Cobalt which is lighter, more expensive and really not any better; BTW the S3 in still one of the lightest headsets around. I'm curious, if you really want to stay on the cheap, you can usually just replace the caged bearing on your old set for $3-4.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks so much, now just waiting on wheels to show up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    since most frames are designed to use a 1 1/8 inch headset then that should be your size , maybe ask AKA Brad since he has a SASS for the correct size. Cane Creek makes a pretty reliable and relatively cheap thread-less headset:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...3+Headset.aspx
    pricepoint is better. but any 1 1/8 headset will do. i have a muss. a lot better looking than all that chrome.
    Ride & Smile

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    pricepoint is better. but any 1 1/8 headset will do. i have a muss. a lot better looking than all that chrome.
    ill have to disagree, Jenson has better customer service and better descriptions of the products
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    The SASS takes a standard 1 1/8 threadless headset and indeed the Cane Creek S3 is the best bang for the buck. The SASS comes with your basic sts Aheadset that you can find for around $20; the main difference being the S3 has sealed bearings. I ended up with a Crank Bros Cobalt which is lighter, more expensive and really not any better; BTW the S3 in still one of the lightest headsets around. I'm curious, if you really want to stay on the cheap, you can usually just replace the caged bearing on your old set for $3-4.
    I thought about that, but the cups in the headtubes look oddly worn out. There were more than a few balls missing from both the upper and lower so I figured it was worth getting a new one. At this point the frame and fork was a hand me down, and picked up a set of Juicy 3's on ebay for $79, and I bought a WTB singlespeed laserdic wheel and nashbar cheapo front for $159. Everything else is pulled from the spare parts bin in the garage. So I'll splurge for a new headset. Also, I feel a strange obligation to clean up the bike and make it look nice since my buddy pretty much handed it over to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Grabbed an FSA orbit extreme from nashbar for $25.

Members who have read this thread: 0