Questions on New Build- Mtbr.com
    Ahhh the pain....

Questions on New Build

After some research, going to build a Niner Sir 9 SS. A few questions about components though... BTW, I'm 5'9", about 165 lbs.
    Wheels - my first thought is a set of Mavic TN719's with XT hubs from BWW. About $250. Planning on using spacers on rear hub to give me the flexibility to convert back to 1x9 or 2x9 later (is that a good idea ?). Also, I'd like run tubeless (ghetto with tape if possible; worked well for me on a 26er FS). Is there a better "bang for the buck" 29er wheelset out there ?
    Cranks - LX cranks with a 32 tooth chainring. Should I go with the surly ring (steel) or get an aluminum one ? Also, figuring on the 175mm.

Those are probably the big ticket items...
    thx in advance...

mtbr member
    buy a less expensive frame like vassago jabberwocky, and put more money into your wheels. i just got a great wheels from orion_cycles for a great price. the wheels are rock solid too. the wheels and the jabberwocky will be less then the sir9 and shitty wheels

mtbr member
    I can't speak on the Mavic Rim but if you can source the XT/Velocity Blunt/DT Swiss Champs; I picked a set up a few months back for my G-Friends NINER one9. They are pretty solid for $220 w/Free Shipping.

At your size I think you will prolly be fine on that wheeset. I might spend a little more (check google/e-Bay) but I would definitely get the SIR9. No question. You might save a few bucks buying a SS specific Crank Set online. I would have to agree with Captain America 1976 regarding Orion Cycles. Neil is currently building my 2nd set from them:

(F/Salsa Gordo 36h. w/Hope Pro 2 (Blk.)& DT Swiss Comps, R/Salsa Semi 36h., Hope Pro 2 SS Hub (Blk.) & DT Comps.)

He does GREAT work!

PF

P.S.> Use BB7's/Speed Dial Levers, Cane Creek S3 HS etc. to have a quality build and still have money to complete it this year. Quality functional parts that aren't too "blingy" (ridiculous).

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

Ahhh the pain....
    Thanks for the feedback guys... btw, how can I find Orion Cycles ? I must be blind or something since I can't seem to locate them....thx.

Members who have read this thread: 0