Questions on Monocog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Questions on Monocog?

Hi guys,

I have just bought a Monocog 26 (way overdue, should've bought one 1.5 year ago lol), and I have got a few questions.

1.) the bike came with chain tensiors on each side of the dropouts. Is it necessary to keep them on?? (I am actually not thinking of taking them off, just wondering how much they would help with keeping the chain tension.)

2.) How tight do I need to tighten the chain tensioners?? i'm afraid tightening them too much would put too much stress on the dropouts.

3.) I tried to remove the ridiculous fugly bash guard (personal taste of course haha), and found the chainring bolts are too long. Should I go to LBS and get some shorter bolts (any specific term for them?) or do i need to get spacers for the bolts?? I see heaps of people here not running bashguard and it looks heaps better i think.

4.) when I put the rear wheel on. it looks like it's sitting center when I look from behind. however, when i look at the rear wheel from the front, it looks mal-aligned . I had a fixie and now have a SS commute but I never get this problem. So how do you guys know if the wheel is sitting in the center?

Thanks for your help.

Rey

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    1. Yes

2. Snug plus a pinch. They aren't really load bearing so you don't need to reef on them.

3. Go get some shorter bolts, it's only a couple of $$.

4. I always centered it from the back looking at the seat tube. Snugged it up, gave it a quick spin, adjusted if required.

I loved the 'cog. Frame and fork are currently hanging in the garage but will get built up again at some point in the future.

DB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    thanks! I was most concerned with question 4.

I did it from the back looking at the seat tube and it's pretty much what i do with my other bikes. So when you look at it from the front, does it look mis-aligned?

I will doublecheck again tomorrow see if I can "fine-tune" it

Apr 2007
    #1 - You really just need one of the drive side.

Regarding #4, just center it to the seat/chain stay (easier than seat tube).

Also, if you're getting rid of that bash guard, let me know if you want to sell it. Wife's bike needs one. And not for rocks and trees, but for her pants. I can send you some short SS bolts in return.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    =) i will get shorter chainring bolts tomorrow and don't think I want to keep it.

I'm in Sydney though, where about are you located??

Apr 2007
    In the US, so nevermind.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    #1 - You really just need one of the drive side.

Regarding #4, just center it to the seat/chain stay (easier than seat tube).
    My bad, yes chainstays. I was on my iTouch and multi-tasking with setting up a conference call when I posted

Ovaries on the Outside
    Wow, everything covered. I only use drive side for the tugnut meself.

Anywho, cogs are fantastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    p nut: haha no worries

thanks everyone

got my bike up and running and it's so nice =D.. now just gotta take it offroad and dirty it

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Drive side only here too. Except taking of the non-drive side I realized that they are not as heavy as they look, so there is really no reason to take one or both of them off.
    Yes, I do have a 29er. And yes, I still ride my 26er

Members who have read this thread: 0