Questions for DT Swiss 240s owners- Mtbr.com
    mnt bike laws of physics

Questions for DT Swiss 240s owners

I am considering the DT Swiss 240s bolt-on hub and am unsure of a few things.

There appears to be threads on the cassette body. Can a regular cassette lock ring be used(one that screws into the inside of the cassette body)?

Can a cog be used where the threads on the cassette body are?

Ther dropouts on my bike are larger than most(10mm exactly). Can I use the bolt-on model?

Thanks for any info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

looks like a CK SS

type lockring not a standard lockring like what is used for a 9 speed hub. I would assume that the proper lockring comes with the hub. The threads you see are for the lockring and NOT a threaded on cog. Get a wide base cog like the CK, Kickass or there are others that you can find if you do a search here.

Essam
    Feb 2006

240s ss

I have a 240 ss hub in my hand, It does not have any threading on the outside of the cassette carrier. It features 4 spacers and a standard lockring. It is possible to use more than a single cog. The Axel is sized for a standard dropout but the bolt on is very secure. I wonder what version the pictures hub is?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by switchback27
    I have a 240 ss hub in my hand, It does not have any threading on the outside of the cassette carrier. It features 4 spacers and a standard lockring. It is possible to use more than a single cog. The Axel is sized for a standard dropout but the bolt on is very secure. I wonder what version the pictures hub is?
    This is a picture from their website so the one you have may be an earlier model.
    The reason I would like to have one like yours is so I have the ability to use more than a single cog. Mabey I can locate one somewhere.
    How many cogs can you fit on yours with 9-speed spacers?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a 240s singlespeed hub, QR version, bought summer of 06. The freehub body was recently replaced under warranty. Both had totally smooth splines and used a standard cassette lockring. I have a specially modified cassette on carriers that allows me to fit 6 cogs. Using individual cogs I could only get 4 on there with almost room for 5. Be careful of individual cogs on that aluminum freehub body though as they might tear up the body.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I am considering the DT Swiss 240s bolt-on hub and am unsure of a few things.

There appears to be threads on the cassette body. Can a regular cassette lock ring be used(one that screws into the inside of the cassette body)?

Can a cog be used where the threads on the cassette body are?

Ther dropouts on my bike are larger than most(10mm exactly). Can I use the bolt-on model?

Thanks for any info.
    Standard rear axles/dropouts are 10mm.

Even if the body is externally threaded you can mount more than one cog.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by slowridemo
    I have a 240s singlespeed hub, QR version, bought summer of 06. The freehub body was recently replaced under warranty. Both had totally smooth splines and used a standard cassette lockring. I have a specially modified cassette on carriers that allows me to fit 6 cogs. Using individual cogs I could only get 4 on there with almost room for 5. Be careful of individual cogs on that aluminum freehub body though as they might tear up the body.
    Please tell me about your modified cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

simple modification really

Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Please tell me about your modified cassette.
    You need a cassette with as many cogs as possible mounted on carriers which will allow for modification and protect the aluminum freehub body. I found two that had 6 cogs mounted on carriers with the gear range I wanted: xtr and a sr suntour. I bought the suntour because it was way cheaper. I milled down most of the back of the carrier for the large cogs and the front integrated spacer for the small cog carrier. In the smallest 16t position it makes some noise if you use the chainring in the middle position (at least with a 32 fr ring), but never caused any problems. It was an experiment from last winter, but now it just sits in a box full of other bike parts. It shifted fine, not to shimano level, but fine; however I really just prefer singlespeed. Right now I'm experimenting with a shimano nexus rear hub.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by slowridemo
    You need a cassette with as many cogs as possible mounted on carriers which will allow for modification and protect the aluminum freehub body. I found two that had 6 cogs mounted on carriers with the gear range I wanted: xtr and a sr suntour. I bought the suntour because it was way cheaper. I milled down most of the back of the carrier for the large cogs and the front integrated spacer for the small cog carrier. In the smallest 16t position it makes some noise if you use the chainring in the middle position (at least with a 32 fr ring), but never caused any problems. It was an experiment from last winter, but now it just sits in a box full of other bike parts. It shifted fine, not to shimano level, but fine; however I really just prefer singlespeed. Right now I'm experimenting with a shimano nexus rear hub.
    Thanks Slowmo, It looks like the 32t cog must be very close to the spokes. You did an awesome job of milling. Send me a message if you are interested in selling it - if you don't plan on using it that is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

240S single speed hub - threads

The current 240s SS hubs use standard (and included) lock rings. Spacers are also included - a selection which allows the use of either narrow or wide based cogs. Wide based are better for aluminium cassette bodies. Some of the early 240S SS hubs had both outer and inner lock ring threads as pictured.

Members who have read this thread: 0