Question on Wheel upgrade for a Monocog- Mtbr.com
    Kneel Before Your Master

New question here. Question on Wheel upgrade for a Monocog

I recently picked up a 2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS. Right after I got it a great deal came up locally for a Sun/Ringle Disc O Flea wheelset so I jumped on them. The wheels have the dirty flea 9 speed hub. Will these fit on my Monocog? I didn't realize that they might not until after I got them. One guy at a local bike shop said that they are only 5mm wider than stock. Anyone have experience with this?
    Last edited by mbogosia; 12-16-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: title

mtbr member
    I would have thought they were just the standard mtb wheel hub width 135mm. So it should just fit. It is 9 speed hub so to use as a single speed you will need spacers for the cassette to adjust the chain line of the rear cog.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 12-17-2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Kneel Before Your Master
    I have the spacers ordered, but I was told the Monocog is not 135mm wide. I can't measure because my bike is in the shop right now getting the bottom bracket overhauled.

mtbr member
    Did you bike come with standard wheels on it? If it did then your spacing is 135mm. I just measured mine to double check (2010 model)

taken from another forum
    My understanding is that the newer (2006) Monocogs have 135mm spacing, while anything older has 110. My 2004 monocog is 110.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Kneel Before Your Master
    They are the stock wheels that came on it. The Alex Dh19's. This is my first SS so after the bike shop guy told me that I just figured that the ss hub was not as wide as a 9speed.

mtbr member
    some info from Sheldon

I think you will be fine and the wheels should fit.

Stock bottom brackets seem to be a problem with Monocogs ( I think mine makes a noise at times after only 2000 miles). Also the standard headsets often need to be replaced also.
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 12-17-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Kneel Before Your Master
    Cool. I'll have my answer tomorrow when I try to put the new wheels on. The shop called me and said the BB had really old looking and not enough grease. He said the creaking was gone after the rebuild.

Ovaries on the Outside
    This thread is disorienting. I think you'll be fine. Even if there is a 5mm difference, it is a steel frame. Stretch it owt!

Kneel Before Your Master
    Well the only thing I could find is that pre 2006 Monocog's had a 110mm hub. Maybe he thought that was what I had. Oh well. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Sounds like I will be fine.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    They will fit fine, it has a 135mm back end.

I have "afternarket" wheels on mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0