Question(s) about building/pricing Vassago Jabberwocky- Mtbr.com
    pk3
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Question(s) about building/pricing Vassago Jabberwocky

Okay, so I'm going to check out this frame this weekend. (Along with the Jamis Exile, Q-Ball, Redline, etc... and whatever else I can find locally). But I am leaning towards the Jabberwocky. In the end I'm going to buy the one that feels the best.. but with each frame.. could someone provide a typical budget for a decent buildup with front suspension included? Just a rough ballpark estimate as I'm trying to see how much overtime I need to work. Thanks so much and happy holidays.

pk3

Welcome to the Gem...
    i'm building a jabber... i'm building mine rigid, and i couldn't keep it under $1500. understand though... if you want do something right, you have to do it yourself, so some of the components are a little more expensive than they really have to be.

with any of them though, honestly, expect to spend at least $1500
    Ibis Tranny 29

You know, for kids
    yes, custom building is pricey most of the time because most people want to use higher end parts. on top of that, most of the middle range of components that come on most complete bikes are all bought with a huge wholesale discount for buying hundreds or thousands of sets of those components at once. So that cost savings can be transferred to the retail cost of the complete. It's not as easy to spec a bike comparable to a brand name complete for the same price. On the positive side, though, it's spec'd to your liking.

here's my spec sheet without a squishy fork...

-20" Vassago Jabberwocky w/ rigid fork - $530
    -36H Velocity Blunt rims with Profile Racing disc hubs - $400+
    -Panaracer Rampage front & rear - $60
    -FSA Pig DH Pro headset - $30
    -Truvativ Hussefelt 175mm cranks - $70
    -Truvativ Howitzer XR bottom bracket - $30
    -Izumi 3/32 black chain - $15
    -Profile 17T rear cog - $20
    -Avid Juicy 5 185mm front brake - $80
    -Avid Juicy 5 160mm rear brake - $80
    -Easton Vice seatpost - $40
    -Easton Vice AM 100mm stem - $40
    -Easton EA50 mid-rise bar - $30
    -Truvativ Holzfeller pedals - $65
    -Zion seatpost clamp - $10
    -Selle Italia C2 - $45
    -ESI Chunky grips - $16

TOTAL - $1,561

ouch, that was the first time I totalled it up. I'm riding a $1,500 rigid singlespeed, yikes!
    Last edited by madcap; 12-21-2007 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm really suprised the S&M guys haven't sued them for using the name Pitchfork.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I'm really suprised the S&M guys haven't sued them for using the name Pitchfork.

nah, they didn't even ask them to change it. I don't believe it's copyrighted. Vassago has decided on their own to rename the Pitchfork and I believe the new name is the Odis fork, not 100% sure

mtbr member
    Another option would be to find a complete bike that has the components that you like. Take off what you want and sell what is left.

You might fine you can get all of the parts you want, cheaper with the frame attached.

Welcome to the Gem...
    i hear ya, madcap. when mine all done, it's gonna be awfully close to 2k. i'm going with a carbon fork and some pricier hubs / cranks. it adds up quick, eh? i've been trying to see if i can't get the price down, but i just don't want to skimp anywhere. i think the brooks grips and seat are going to have to come later though... /sigh.

pk3... you might have luck with a new gary fisher rig. the new G2 geometry seems to be getting some praise. it would definitely save you some cash.
    Ibis Tranny 29

pk3
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quick update...

For now I converted my old hardtail using the forte single speed conversion kit. For $19.99 it was too good of a deal to pass up. I think a few months on this will give me a better idea of what I want.

On a side note. This was the first time I've actually worked on my bike. I went out and bought all the necessary tools and did the conversion myself. I know thats not a big deal to most of you but I'm happy. In fact, I was so pleased I HAD to test ride it last night. Which at 1 AM, with the temps in the low 20's.. brrrr! Haha.. I didnt even notice.

Welcome to the Gem...
    single speeding is pretty nostalgic at first, huh? it never really goes away... i have to tell you. have fun with it! it only gets better!
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    TOTAL - $1,561

ouch, that was the first time I totalled it up. I'm riding a $1,500 rigid singlespeed, yikes!
    Yeah, I've got a price list sitting here on my desk for a $2,000 ridged Jabberwocky. Spending a little more on some of the parts, plus a good bit more on the wheel set. Painful but I really want it.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Congrats on jumping in to the DIY wrenching. It's satisfying, eh?
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pk3
    Quick update...

For now I converted my old hardtail using the forte single speed conversion kit. For $19.99 it was too good of a deal to pass up. I think a few months on this will give me a better idea of what I want.

On a side note. This was the first time I've actually worked on my bike. I went out and bought all the necessary tools and did the conversion myself. I know thats not a big deal to most of you but I'm happy. In fact, I was so pleased I HAD to test ride it last night. Which at 1 AM, with the temps in the low 20's.. brrrr! Haha.. I didnt even notice.

mtbr member
    Don't be scared by these $1500 plus builds.

You can do it for a lot less than that and still have a ton of fun on a 29er single speed.

pk3
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    Congrats on jumping in to the DIY wrenching. It's satisfying, eh?
    - Joe
    Definitely. So much in fact that I am going to build a Single Speed in a few months rather than go to a shop to have one built!

~pk3

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have spent over 1400 on parts for my ss already and i dont even have a frame yet. LOL...

Ony the wheels cost 800 bucks!

But you need to think that you have a bike that is unique and is so mutch more good looking then most of the bikes around you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jabber- Rig

I picked up an 06 Rig last Feb. (still on showroom floor) for a little under $1000, then bought the jabberwocky frame and swapped everything over. Then I turned around and sold the Rig frame for 250-300. Total cost ended up around 1200 after the sale. I love it... a great ride!
    The parts spec on the Rigs are pretty nice. Not super - high end by any stretch, but it has worked great.

Members who have read this thread: 0