A Question Pertaining to Discs and Rigids- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A Question Pertaining to Discs and Rigids

Hello there. I recently purchased a Salsa Cromoto 26" rigid fork locally. I am wondering whether mounting a 180mm disc rotor would be fine for the fork? There is a fear of breaking/bending the fork as a result of improper disc size

While we are on it, anyone know the max rotor length for these forks? The Salsa site states nothing of the sort.

Here is the link to my fork: https://salsacycles.com/index.php/co...omoto_26_disc/

Last question to those who have tried the fork: So how awesome(or monstrous) exactly is the fork?

Thanks!

Expert Crasher
    First off - the Salsa fork you bought is one of the best off-the-shelf rigids you can get. NO worries there. Secondly - it's rigid. If you think or ride like you've got a suspension fork, you'll be let down. New thought, new skills need to come with the new fork.

Regarding brakes - 180 will be fine. My theory is you can get away with a little less rotor on the rigid fork than with a suspension fork b/c weight transfer forces the tires to absorb and dig harder than when a susp. fork absorbs the weight. But again -that's just my theory.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    You'll be fine. I'm pretty sure your front tire would break free before you bent a steel tube.

And I have the 29er version (with a 180 disc.) It rides like a rigid fork. Enjoy
    read KNOBBY MEATS or be sadly ignorant of the mediocrity that is allowed to exist in the interwebs

mtbr member
    This sounds really good. I cant wait to try them out! Mounting 180mm Ashima Airotors(ARO-8) with a set of bb7s. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I ran a 203 on my Cromoto for a bit. I was way over kill but no one got hurt. I just use the 160mm on that fork now.

Members who have read this thread: 0