Question on Nashbar (aka On-One, Novatec) SS Disc cassette hub- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zanq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    427

    Question on Nashbar (aka On-One, Novatec) SS Disc cassette hub

    This may seem like a silly question, but aren't the 6 holes for the brake rotor supposed to be tapped to accept the mounting bolts? I got my Nashbar hub in today and the 6 bolt holes are smooth, no threads!

    I have Hope Disc hubs on my gearie and don't remember the bolts being self tapping. I'm wondering if this got past quality control.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    This may seem like a silly question, but aren't the 6 holes for the brake rotor supposed to be tapped to accept the mounting bolts? I got my Nashbar hub in today and the 6 bolt holes are smooth, no threads!

    I have Hope Disc hubs on my gearie and don't remember the bolts being self tapping. I'm wondering if this got past quality control.

    Thanks
    I knew there was a reason ours cost a little more :-)

  3. #3
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354
    I have one waiting for my next wheel build... mine has threaded holes.

    Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    This may seem like a silly question, but aren't the 6 holes for the brake rotor supposed to be tapped to accept the mounting bolts? I got my Nashbar hub in today and the 6 bolt holes are smooth, no threads!

    I have Hope Disc hubs on my gearie and don't remember the bolts being self tapping. I'm wondering if this got past quality control.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zanq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I knew there was a reason ours cost a little more :-)
    Yeah, sometimes a good deal isn't as good as it appears! Lesson learned for next time!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the Inbred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,471
    yeah for nashbar. they're good about refunds, though. call 'em up.

  6. #6
    Derailleurs owned: 0
    Reputation: c0jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    354
    $39.96 for a singlespeed cassette disc hub was a great deal for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    Yeah, sometimes a good deal isn't as good as it appears! Lesson learned for next time!

  7. #7
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by c0jones
    $39.96 for a singlespeed cassette disc hub was a great deal for me.
    I got one a couple of days ago. $31.45, and the holes are properly threaded
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zanq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I got one a couple of days ago. $31.45, and the holes are properly threaded
    I got the same deal (on sale plus 10% off code). Fortunately this isn't a pending build but it's still a hassle to send it back when something this obvious should have been caught. I must have got the hub body that was in the CNC machine when the tap broke.

    Not a big deal in the long run.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    This may seem like a silly question, but aren't the 6 holes for the brake rotor supposed to be tapped to accept the mounting bolts? I got my Nashbar hub in today and the 6 bolt holes are smooth, no threads!

    I have Hope Disc hubs on my gearie and don't remember the bolts being self tapping. I'm wondering if this got past quality control.

    Thanks
    Are the holes the right size to thread? If they are you can save the trouble of shipping it back if you have a tap.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zanq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    Are the holes the right size to thread? If they are you can save the trouble of shipping it back if you have a tap.
    I thought about that but I don't have a press of any kind to anchor the hub and keep a tap straight.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 05:48 AM
  2. King ss disc hub question
    By TheRedMantra in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 11:09 PM
  3. Phil Wood ss disc hub question
    By JJT in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 01:44 PM
  4. Novatec SS cassette hub?
    By EvelMtber in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
  5. American classic disc hub question
    By mtb_biker in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.