Question about Slicks?- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

Question about Slicks?

Hi

I have a Bianchi SASS and I'd like to throw slicks on it for commuting around town in the winter. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a brand/size as I have NO experience with such a product. I'm looking at either 26x1.0 or 26x1.5. Thoughts on the difference? Is my bike just going to spin out too easily at the current gear ration?

Also, was wondering about how waterproof my bike is. I'll put the link down below, but how worried do I need to be about rust, damaging my bike with water, etc? I'm always so careful and I'm wondering if that's necessary. Anything I could do to make it better in the water. Basically, I'd like to use this bike to get to school and around town without care for rain and still keeping it in great shape. Thanks for reading!

https://www.bianchiusa.com/05-bicycl...n/05-sass.html

Ovaries on the Outside
    Ok, dawg. This is what I would do- get to 70 gear inches, spray the inside of your frame with rust preventative, get Schwalbe commuter tires around 26x1.5 and larger.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Thanks! 70 gear inches? So what's that in the front and back? How about WTB Slickasaurus? These any good?

one chain loop
    Weak. Go for 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms, toughest commuter tires I've used. Quick and grips on tight corners even on high speed. Adds extra cush too if you are running rigid.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    Weak. Go for 2.5 Maxxis Hookworms, toughest commuter tires I've used. Quick and grips on tight corners even on high speed. Adds extra cush too if you are running rigid.
    Cheaper than the Schwalbe, which is over 35. I guess if your commute is flat they'd be great.

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Ok, I understand what 70 gear inches means. Sorry, I'm catching up with the technical lingo. With slicks and 70" will the SASS run fine on a flat commute with little-to-no hills? Thanks y'all!

Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009
    Also, where (and what) front chain ring would I buy to be compatible with my crank? i assume if I bought a 38T chainring, I could buy a bashguard that is also 38T? Thanks for the help

Ovaries on the Outside
    It is ok about the lingo. You should be fine around 70 gear inches. Go low if you have to. You can either change out the rear cog, the chainring, or both. 38x15 would be pretty decent. If you need a new chainring, you probably need 104bcd. I've never had a bashguard, so...?

mtbr member
    I ride Michelin tires. 1.75 Country Rocks. 75lb tire pressure, smooth and fast with good wet traction.

P.S. they dont look like tiny little slickss that in my opinion look like crap!

Members who have read this thread: 0