Question about my Unit...- Mtbr.com
    Hardtail forever.

New question here. Question about my Unit...

Long story short, I picked up a Kona Unit a couple weeks ago, primarily because I wanted a good steel frame as my 3rd bike. Overall I love it, and I am having a great time doing the SS thing. However, I have found that it would be nice to have shifting occasionally. My two other bikes are far far away, and the Unit is my primary ride everywhere (read: no car). I am thinking of making it interchangable between SS and 1 X 9.
    Is this possible? Do any other true SS'ers do this?
    I know I need a rear wheel with cassette, shifter and der., but what about the cranks?
    Basically, I am looking for opinions on the easiest way to make it interchangable. I've got a budget of around $150.
    Any and all ideas appreciated. Please don't kill me for wanting to change it up a bit....
    Thanks in advance ideas.

mb
    It's better to be lost, than to know where you are and not like it.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    If you have the 2004 (grey, slidey dropout model) you can get an Explosif der. hanger and some stick on cable guides, run full housing and you'd be good to go. If you're going to ride it offroad in 1x9 mode, you might need an N-Gear Jumpstop. No need for new cranks.

hot like a box of fire
    Quote Originally Posted by bungyfish
    Long story short, I picked up a Kona Unit a couple weeks ago, primarily because I wanted a good steel frame as my 3rd bike. Overall I love it, and I am having a great time doing the SS thing. However, I have found that it would be nice to have shifting occasionally. My two other bikes are far far away, and the Unit is my primary ride everywhere (read: no car). I am thinking of making it interchangable between SS and 1 X 9.
    Is this possible? Do any other true SS'ers do this?
    I know I need a rear wheel with cassette, shifter and der., but what about the cranks?
    Basically, I am looking for opinions on the easiest way to make it interchangable. I've got a budget of around $150.
    Any and all ideas appreciated. Please don't kill me for wanting to change it up a bit....
    Thanks in advance ideas.

mb
    Well your biggest issue is that the unit doesn't have a derailleur hanger. But we'll overlook that for now. If you want to revert, get a cheap cassette rear wheel (lx-rhynolite?) and throw on a road cassette/short cage derailleur. you can probably take up enough slack that way to not loose your chain unless you're riding quite roughly off-road. But have you considered perhaps a flipflop hub w/ two freewheels? or a cassette hub, and running/carrying multiple cogs?

Hardtail forever.

biggest issue accounted for....

I ordered the der hangar when I bought the bike, it should be waiting for me at the bike shop, so that problem is taken care of. I was thinking the LX/rhynolite wheelset also, but had never considered a flipflop. My biggest concern is with the chain and cranks. The chain thats on there now looks real beefy. I know I will need a new chain because the one I have is real short. As long as I don't need rings on the crank I think I have it down. The sticky cable holders where one thing I didn't think of. Thanks guys.
    Anyone else have 2 cents?

mb
    It's better to be lost, than to know where you are and not like it.

Derailleurs owned: 0

internally geared hub?

some are not durable enough for serious off-road abuse...
    some are: a r0hl0ff (14-)speedhub is.

and maybe the new shiman0 nexus 8-speed...

or an old 3/4-speed from [email protected] or shiman0.

C Jones