Question about Gears- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Question about Gears

I have a question about my gears that I currently have. Right now I'm using a 32T up front with a 18T out back. I was thinking since I already have a 24T and another cog is cheap why not buy a 13t out back and have a 24t 13t setup. Am I thinking right here? I could drop weight, keep pretty much the same ratio and take more out of the chain to lighten it up as well?

Certified Creep
    Feb 2009
    The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

I have 32x19 and haven't run into any of the problems this guy talks about, but give it a shot. How much mass you figure it'll drop?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thesickfits View Post
    The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

I have 32x19 and haven't run into any of the problems this guy talks about, but give it a shot. How much mass you figure it'll drop?
    To be honest I am not sure how much it will drop. I would suspect an amount worth the switch over. I read that write up and some good points were made, so it makes me cautions. I will see if someone responds that has done a similar change. Thanks for responding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Micro drive like 24/13 would totally suck with respect to chain tension and wear.

Your bike will ride better and handle chain tension issues better with bigger cog/ring combos. Anything smaller then around 16 in the back is going to be really touchy with respect to chain tension. The best combos are when you run something big in the back because with more teeth on the chain you get better engagement and the drive train performs better at lower tension with less resistance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Keep your current set up. Change will net you maybe 10 grams along with problems like febikes mentioned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the input gents. I will stay where I am then. The last thing I need is issues 10mi from the car!

Members who have read this thread: 0