question about a EBB...- Mtbr.com
    beware the grammar police

question about a EBB...

just built a access xcl 9r and i am running it SS and rigid.....took the inaugural ride today and really enjoyed it....... except for the fact i am having to run a ultegra shorty derailleur for a tensioner because i cannot figure out the "magic gear".... so anyway i have been reading a bit and see they make 68mm EBBs and i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.....

OR if anyone has knowledge of the "magic gear" for a access frame that would be appreciated....

i have tried 32/17/18/19 and 33/17/18/19........

running 33/17 now with the derailleur.....

thanks!!
    owner and founder of www.moto-rush.com motorcycling community

mtbr member
    Standard Ebb will not work with your frame as the shell diameter is different. Phil Wood makes one that will work and I have read good reports on the Forward Components EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Lets_Ride
    Standard Ebb will not work with your frame as the shell diameter is different. Phil Wood makes one that will work and I have read good reports on the Forward Components EBB.
    thank you!!

the phil wood one is the only on made to fit in a standard frame i take it...... anyone here ever used one??

creaking?? quality??

Apr 2007
    Use the MG calculator

http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

I personally wouldn't spend money on FC EBB. I'd just go magic gear or use a tensioner.

nothing to see here
    I looked up the chainstay length for that bike (455mm) and there's very few useable options for it.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

All 26.5" all the time!
    I can vouch for the Forward Components EBB. I've had mine since November and it's working well so far.

Here's the link: http://www.forwardcycle.com/

Out spokin'
    Personally if I used standard length cranks I would totally jump at the FC EBB. I don't like anyone or anything (like the length of my frame's chainstays for instance) telling me what ratio I have to run. I also think not having the ability to tension my chain when chain stretch inevitably happens is lame. So I'll personally never own a "magic gear" SS. No such thing as magic.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Magic Johnson

Kareem, Ab, Dule, Jabbar, All time super super super star....

Red Hot Chili Peppers

mtbr member
    also a German Ebb like the Forward Components and Phil Wood ones.

You could also use a White Industries Eno Hub.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    also a German Ebb like the Forward Components and Phil Wood ones.

You could also use a White Industries Eno Hub.
    I've used the Trickstuff Excentiker on one of my bikes for about three years with no problems - at the time that I bought it, the FC one wasn't available.
    If I was buying now though, I reckon that I'd choose the FC version (and it costs less).

Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    I looked up the chainstay length for that bike (455mm) and there's very few useable options for it.
    that chart is slightly confusing to me..... it says that 33/17 should work??

but i tried 33/17 and it did "fit" but the chain was unacceptably tight *(and the chain is used)...

and damn those things are expensive..... wow...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Use the MG calculator

http://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

I personally wouldn't spend money on FC EBB. I'd just go magic gear or use a tensioner.
    And I'd do exactly the opposite - not waste my time faffing around with so-called "magic gears" and I'd put the money that I'd otherwise spend on a tensioner towards a FC EBB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Another vote for the FC EBB. In my opinion, it's the best tensioning system there is, bar none.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I have Niner SIR9 with Niner EBB

Not the best setup ( horizontal dropouts are the best ) but I love the bike and EBB works great. My Access XCL 29er w/ Forte tensioner works just as great. A spare tensioner was $ 12 on sale if I need it. I hope I'm at home when I need it. Rode today on my XCL and It is almost as quiet as EBB.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolie
    Not the best setup ( horizontal dropouts are the best ) but I love the bike and EBB works great. My Access XCL 29er w/ Forte tensioner works just as great. A spare tensioner was $ 12 on sale if I need it. I hope I'm at home when I need it. Rode today on my XCL and It is almost as quiet as EBB.
    can ya send me a link for the tensioner?

i had a origin8 tensioner and it broke... i was unimpressed with its function and quality of build........

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I don't think Forte (Performance economy brand) is any better

That's why I have spare -yikes! Some of the longer term single speed guys could suggest the higher quality tensioners. I am not sure I would take my XCL on a road trip or epic back country ride-it's a winter bike so as not to trash my Niner s.s. or GT full suspension. Tensioner is working great though. Performance Bicycles .com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is also the white industries eccentric hub, which I would take over any of these aftermarket ebb's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    There is also the white industries eccentric hub, which I would take over any of these aftermarket ebb's.
    I've used the White Eno for a long time, and still run it on my FS SS. However, if it works with your frame and cranks, the FC EBB is definitely superior.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paco664
    just built a access xcl 9r and i am running it SS and rigid.....took the inaugural ride today and really enjoyed it....... except for the fact i am having to run a ultegra shorty derailleur for a tensioner because i cannot figure out the "magic gear".... so anyway i have been reading a bit and see they make 68mm EBBs and i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.....

OR if anyone has knowledge of the "magic gear" for a access frame that would be appreciated....

i have tried 32/17/18/19 and 33/17/18/19........

running 33/17 now with the derailleur.....

thanks!!
    Not sure exactly what your chainstay is, but there are two magic gears on my (18" medium) Sette Razzo that I've found....

32/19 --- trails with quick/steep climbs

36/19 --- trails with more flat and more predictable climbs

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33
    Not sure exactly what your chainstay is, but there are two magic gears on my (18" medium) Sette Razzo that I've found....

32/19 --- trails with quick/steep climbs

36/19 --- trails with more flat and more predictable climbs
    on my other frame i was running 32/17 and 32/19 both were "magic".... the 32/19 was i little too "low" with me spinning out while climbing due to over torque...

32/18 was perfect for me with the right amount of spinning while on the trail head and grunt when i was climbing... 32/17 was pretty good to me also....

now i am 33/17 but running a ultegra shorty road derailleur for tensioning.........

i really appreciate everyones help in this... but my wife will gut me if i spend 150-275$ for a EBB......

i will search ebay and a couple of the LBS's have a great used part section......

thanks again..

Members who have read this thread: 0