question about chain that keeps popping off.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

question about chain that keeps popping off.

OK, first off this is the second SS I've had, but the first with a horizontal drop out. I had a chain tensioner on my last one so I'm a little new to world of horizontal drop outs.

My chain fell off the first day I took my new SS out with the horizontal drop out. I noticed my chain was a little loose so I tightened up the fasteners to move my whole rear wheel back to tighten the chain. I made the chain a little on the tighter side knowing the chain will eventually loosen over time. Sooo... it worked at first, but when I seem to go up hill and put lots of pressure into peddling my chain pops off.

My chain never pops off when I'm just riding along on bumpy trails so I'm thinking that my rear cog is not aligned with my front chain ring. I looked and the alignment is close. I made the straight alignment of the chain better between the cog and chain ring. Hopefully this works for my next ride.

Is the "close" but not "perfect" straight alignment causing the problem?

Any other suggestions on why it's coming off?

Also, what is the BEST way to make sure they are perfectly aligned. Just by eye?

Mahalo.

Robbie

mtbr member
    hey, Im also new to the single speed world and had the same problem..im gussing the " close but not pefect" is your problem. i had to buy 3 different spacer sets just to get it lined up..i reccomend getting one with tons of differnt sized spacers..and i think the best way to get it aligned is just by trial and error..line it up by eye...then pop on the back wheel.and try it out. you dont need to tighten the lock nut on the back wheel to save time just finger tighten it...hope this helped
    My Ride - 2009 Norco Rival - Single speed

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It can be chainline. One thing to check is to make sure that the axle isn't slipping. Perhaps get some axle tensioners like the Tuggnut or check out the thread with the custom ones. To check the chainline without measuring spin the cranks. Stop it. Now look at where the chain is resting on the rear cog and front chainring. If it's pressed against the side on one and pressed against the other side on the other it is too far off. It is centered on one and against the side of the other it's ok. Center-center is best. This works the best with 1/8" chain on a 3/32 drivertrain. I try to keep my chainline within 2mm of being off with 1/8" chain. Less on shorter chainstay bikes, like those with 26" wheels or track bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0