Quality SS Cranks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quality SS Cranks?

Ran a couple of searches and didn't find much information.

I'm looking for some high quality, relatively lightweight SS cranks. Budget about $200 w/BB. I weigh 225 and ride hard so I need a durable set and would prefer to stay away from square taper. Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mattbryant2; 04-25-2008 at 10:58 PM.

mtbr member
    you know what I'd say...ENO cranks.
    $180 & $40 chainring ...these are square taper though.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 04-25-2008 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Middleburn Unos

mtbr member
    you can get a set of eno's form speedgoat for about 200
    cranks arms = 150
    chain ring = 30
    shimano un54 bottom bracket = 24
    $204 + shipping

http://www.speedgoat.com/

i spent a lot of time looking for the best deal on eno's and speedgoat has the best i have seen.

You know, for kids
    fan of TruVativ here

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i just bought an FSA with 32T and bashguard included. it doesn't strike me as being particularly light though. retail is about $150
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    +1 on the middleburns if you can find them for a reasonable price

i run the geared ones with a 5 bolt spider but run them ss...extremely light and stiff as a board

ebay happened to be good to me or I would have gone with the eno's

Space Ghost
    Picked up a set of Truvativ's Stylo 175mm, 32T, bashguard, and bottom bracket for $110 from Price Point. Seem plenty stiff, and better, more hardcore riders than myself report trouble free use. If they don't last, I will be springing for ENO's and Phil Wood BB, but not yet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    don't use LX's.

mine folded up under me this arfternoon.

Sure is one way gauge if you have been doing enough interval work
    Attached Images Attached Images

local trails rider
    I've been running LX for a year now, and doing fine. My chainring looks more substantial, though, and the bashring probably helps spread the loads too.

Get single ring Saint cranks, if you want bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeah, these cranks are about a year old.

I'll check out the saints, although the stylo's at pricepoint look pretty good

~~~~~~~
    middleburn

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    ask yourself some questions -

a. is a bash guard needed for your trails? some SS-specific cranks don't allow for one.

b. are you looking for 180 mm?

c. is ready availability of rings in any number of teeth important to you? i've found that some of the proprietary (i.e. spiderless) rings can sometimes be a pain to find in the size you want.

d. are you accustomed to the stiffness of an external BB setup on your other bikes? i've found that my race face square taper setup feels a bit flexy in comparison. i haven't done a directt comparison with, say, a middleburn setup.

Since you've already indicated you'd prefer to be around $200, if you answer Yes to the above questions then XT 770 cranks from chainreactioncycles, at $169, plus the ring (and bash guard) of your choice (and there are countless choices of rings and guards for 4 bolt cranks) would be the way to go.

EDIT to add: I have the 2006 stylo 1.1 cranks on my other SS, and they work fine as a cheaper choice. MOst places will pricematch to about $110, which is great since that includes a SS ring and guard. The published weights suggest they're only about an ounce heavier than the XT's but based on actual weight I think the difference is more like 80 g. I have noticed that the retaining bolt on the truvativs, even when correctly torqued, can loosen up a bit after many miles of SS cranking, so keep an eye on that. Then again the same thing can happen on XT's. YMMV.

mtbr member

im suprised more people are not shouting out for Profile cranks, espially the heavier guys that need serious durability, or the long legged dudes that want more than 180mm.

oh crap...
    I vote for the XT's...haven't had the left crank arm come loose on me yet on my fixed gear 26er...my XTR's on my SS 29er are solid as well.

I ran Truvativ Stylos on the 26er before that and the crank arm bolt was always coming loose.

Shimano's are trouble free in my mind and I think the XT's will work in your budget. Put a bashguard of choice if you like and run a Salsa chainring and your in like flinn.
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am a White Ind UNO fan, they just look the part. And work too.

Tho my favs were the old XTRs with a Jericho ring... what ever happened to Jericho?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This guy was great to me. Super nice and ships fast.

http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Industries...2em118Q2el1247

mtbr member
    To address the above issue with the LX crank: I've been running the LX crank with a Salsa chainring and Race Face bash guard for nigh on 2 years now with no issues (i.e., no bent chainring as seen above in the photos). Not that it's a single-speed specific crank, but it works just fine with the non-ramped Salsa ring and it's light, stiff, and reasonably priced. And it's outboard-bearing.

That said, if I you want a single-speed specific crank, I'd say buy the ENO. It is square-taper, but it's nice.

LB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I upgraded a cheap bmx crankset to 180 mm FSA v-drive with external bearings and I can't believe the difference. We'll see about the isis interface I've always rocked a squaretaper BB.

Members who have read this thread: 0