Quality SS aluminum chainring bolts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Quality SS aluminum chainring bolts?

I've just killed an entire set of BMX aluminum chainring bolts. First they loosened up on me, then, when I tried to tighten them down, they all either stripped or sheered. So where can I buy some quality SS aluminum chainring bolts from?

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I've just killed an entire set of BMX aluminum chainring bolts. First they loosened up on me, then, when I tried to tighten them down, they all either stripped or sheered. So where can I buy some quality SS aluminum chainring bolts from?
    They shouldn't loosen up if you are using a little blue loc-tite.............

mtbr member
    The chainring bolts I am currently using were purchased here. I have used these with no issues and no loc-titie. Don't overtighten and if you don't already have one, invest five bucks in a chainring nut tool like the Park CNW-2 to get them snug.

conjoinicorned
    to not answer your questions...i've killed many sets of aluminum chainring bolts and i think you should be looking for steel

to answer your question the best luck i've had has been (oddly enough) with these cheapies
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm not a fan of Loctite on chainring bolts, as it's a recipe for stripping the heads or needing to drill them out. A little oil or antiseize is what I use. I believe the loosening problem was caused by a very loose interface of the bolt and nuts threads.

Already have a chainring nut tool.

I've never had issue with aluminum ones until now, and it stemmed from their being cheap, not from being aluminum.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    the shimano ones from the xtr m960 seem pretty effin strong, as far as aluminum goes. Not sure if you can still get them though.

mtbr member
    I use these from KCNC - no problems so far.
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-chain...ed-p-2515.html

Or, if you are concerned with the strength of Al bolts, you can try these:
    http://www.suginoltd.co.jp/english/p...er_english.htm
    They're supposed to be stronger than the typical Al bolts...

mtbr member
    Steel are the best quality aluminum bolts.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    Steel are the best quality aluminum bolts.
    Personally I would offer similar advice but not being a fan of unsolicited advice, I thought I wouldn't offer any. Besides, I've seen products consistently fail for one rider while another rider enjoys years of trouble free service. Go figure.

There's no harm in asking. These forums are great for that. I learn stuff all the time. Bet I'm not the only one.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    A set of Stronglight steel chainring bolts, from ebay, did the trick for me. I've never had a problem with ally for the full height bolts used on multi-ring setups but two different sets of half height bolts needed for SS were useless.

As I'm a saddo I even weighed them. 4 ally bolts totalled 7 grams, 4 steel totalled 16.

Members who have read this thread: 0