mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Q's about first 29er ss

So I have been looking at a couple bikes and I don't really have that much experience with 29er's and I have only been riding a converted SS for a year. The people I know that have 29er's love them though. So I have been looking at the MC flight, kona unit and KHS solo se. Any thoughts on any of these or maybe another bike around the same price range?
    I am going to do my best to try and find a place where I can test ride but I was looking for some comparison opinions. There are obviously a lot of posts about the monocog but not too many about the other 2. Thanks for any help

Welcome to the Gem...
    no experience with any... the opinions on this board have lots of good things to say about the monocogs. kona seems to make nice things.

i've heard good things about the on-one inbreds... /shrug. i think you can pick up an '06 for like $600.

just go with the flight. be done with it and get riding! i should probably take my own advice... VVVV waiting for this Jabber to get in the mail... /sigh
    Ibis Tranny 29

Mtbr

Haro Mary, GF Rig?

I would suggest the Haro Mary for about $850, and if you want they can be pretty light. If you want suspension what about a new Gary Fisher Rig for about $1000 with a Hydroformed frame and a Fox fork?

Here are some pics of my two:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    Also have a look at the Raleigh XXIX, it is in the same class as the other bikes listed.

mtbr member
    Fixed,

I have the XXIX. Let me know if you want more info or pics of it. Like it alot for the price, I bet your LBS will sell you a 2007 for $475 making it the best deal going.

MC
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Old, stale, negative
    I ride a 4K Blingstacyle and if I had to start over I'd go for the XXIX. P.S. with a brooks B17 and a smile for many a thousands a mile. Good luck with your search, I always feel a little empty after the choice has been made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

thanks

I will check out the Mary and XXIX as well. I checked for dealers around where I live and I might have to drive a ways to find a shop that keeps them in stock.
    I also was wondering about certain drop outs and pro's and cons with them. I think I have heard that horizontal (track) drop outs can be troublesome. Any suggestions on what kind of dropouts I should look for?

I also have heard that EBB's can be a bit more troublesome, even though it seems like more of an opinion. Still I would like to stay away from them.

You know, for kids
    horizontal dropouts can be troublesome if you don't have chain tensioners. My Vassago came with chain tensioners built into the frame. They're easy to work with.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    I always feel a little empty after the choice has been made.
    I suffer from that too, no matter it $10 grips or new frames or wheels. I hate that.

Welcome to the Gem...
    the reason you feel that way is normal... it's a man thing.

it's not about the kill, but the hunt.

goes for sooooo many things in a man's life...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm sure I will feel the same, I have felt that way about most of my bikes. I think I have narrowed it down to the Kona and flight. mostly because I have a xmas gift card for this shop that carries those 2. I think they are pretty comparable, just different geometries.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I recently purchased a Monocog 29, it is the bomb! Awesome handling for such an inexpensive bike. Kinda' heavy, but not when compared to a geared bike.

If you have the cash, the Monocog Flight is a nicer bike, BB5, better frame material, nice wheels. I compared the two in side by side test rides and found the Monocog to be quicker turning and to have a better geometry for my build. Before you buy, definitely test ride.

BTW, you don't need a suspension fork, it's just extra weight, drop the tire pressure, slow down, enjoy the simplicity, measure success by how much you can get done with less

At this point, I see no reason to go back to gears. I figure that if I need gears, I can just go for a hike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm not too worried about suspension right now. I have been riding a rigid 26 ss most of the summer and I don't feel to much worse for the wear. I have only ever had front suspension anyways never FS.
    I wasn't aware until you said anything that there was a geometry difference between the flight and MC. On their website they are showing a couple degrees difference in some of the angles, good to know I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0