Q-Square taper BB (SS related)- Mtbr.com
    Expert Pushing SSer

New question here. Q-Square taper BB (SS related)

First off, the search is wicked slow on my ISDN. My square taper Sheshmano LX BB is creaking with every pedal stroke. Even on the flat land. It has like 4 or 5 rides on it. Not the seat, not the pedals, and I don't believe it is the chain ring bolts. So what do you guys run? This one has a the plastic shell (?) on the non drive side, mounted to a steel frame with a Race Face crankset. What gives? Grease the tapers? Most will probably say nay. Pack the whole frame in the BB are with grease? Are there BBs that can be rebuilt? Not looking to throw 100 bucks (or more) on a ti unit; more like 40-50 bucks for me.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

ali'i hua
    ok, is it bad if i'm having the same issue with my sh!tmano XTR octalink?

oh- older XTR (01?) with a jericho suffe'ring for the details. the BB is one of the sealed XTR style. take it out, regrease the threds? merely tighten the cranks arm bolts?

it creaks like a wooden ship, but only when Im spinning on the flats. when I put pressure on it life is nice a quiet (just like a SS should be, right?)

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    My square taper Sheshmano LX BB is creaking with every pedal stroke. Mike
    Mike,

You've GOT to get this resolved before Barbie Camp!!!

I have a dozen bikes or so -- all have [silent] square taper BB spindles with the exception of the splined Bullseye cranks on my commuter (yes, 202mm Bullseye cranks!). Anyway, here is my silent BB secret -- Shimano UN72 BBs. They're like $17 at SuperGo, or at least they were last time I checked. They have metal cups. You know how I hammer my sleds and these things flat hold up.

Check your crank instructions for torque values. If you don't have them, your LBS probably will. I think you'll find they should be torqued to around 32 ft/lb, although frankly I never use a torque wrench on my production cranks. (Short story: I have a couple pair of 195mm Caramba Double Barrel cranks that came with a warning to never exceed 20 ft/lb of torque! You're dang right I went right out and bought a torque wrench!) Anyway, production cranks like Shimano or Specialized can take a lot more cranking down. FWIW I've never greased my spindles but there are those who always do and can even cite mfg'r recommendations to do so. So what have you got to lose in trying? Just don't overtorque if you do this.

Good luck. See you in less than two weeks.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Expert Pushing SSer

Mine is all noise all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    it creaks like a wooden ship, but only when Im spinning on the flats. when I put pressure on it life is nice a quiet (just like a SS should be, right?)
    Wooden ship, funny guy.
    Wish mine made noise only part of the time. More like metal creaking than wood. Oh, forgot to mention the rig is fully rigid, including the rider, doh!

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    WTB grease guard BB. I've had one for about three silent years. I bought an extra a few months back for $30 at the bike store but I'm running profiles now. If you want to buy it PM me.

Expert Pushing SSer

Ditch the plastic cup!

Your a touch heavier than I am. So bravo to you for not having creaking. I WILL have this issue resolved by BC come he!! or high water; or we will have "music" on the ride. Torque specs will be checked.

Out,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

Expert Pushing SSer

68x113?

Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    WTB grease guard BB. I've had one for about three silent years. I bought an extra a few months back for $30 at the bike store but I'm running profiles now. If you want to buy it PM me.
    You going to be at BC? What would you ask? We could take this off the board. e me at:
    [email protected]

Thanks,

Mike
    Tuff Schist

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    first off, greasing the spindles is only a quick-fix. you need to get to the heart of the problem.

i got a perfect second-hand Trulativ from work and once i put it on to one of my bikes i would every so aften get a creeking noise and throught my cheap pedals had finaly gone, but on a fever look a relised that not all square taper BB's are the same size in diamater and the Trulativ crank might of seemed tight on, it was ever so slightly to big. changed it back, and no creeking what so ever

No relation

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    ok, is it bad if i'm having the same issue with my sh!tmano XTR octalink?

oh- older XTR (01?) with a jericho suffe'ring for the details. the BB is one of the sealed XTR style. take it out, regrease the threds? merely tighten the cranks arm bolts?

My XTR cranks have been creaking since about six months after I got them (about, oh, a long time ago). This weekend I stuck on the suffering, and the creak is gone. I suspect what I needed to do before, and didn't do, was tighten the nut holding on the rings. You know, that funny looking thing that's got the c clip on it and uses the BB wrench. I'd suggest you try that. Of course, you probably already have...
    As to the main question, I have the same BB as Sparticus on another bike, and it's silent and stealthy like a silent stealthy thing. Let's say silent as a shadow. Yeah. A shadow cast by a particularly stealthy fox that has a PhD in stealth from the Sorbonne. Like that.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

with creaking, grease is always the answer

doubt it's the taper-crank arm interface, unless your arms are stretched and toast.
    most likely, cups creaking in BB shell. is your frame aluminum? even more likely.
    second spot to grease: between the cups and the cartridge body, pull the cups off and slather on grease, then reinstall cups. slather grease on BB threads and cup threads, reinstall. I say don't grease the tapers at all.