Q/R rear?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Q/R rear?

mtbr member

Q/R rear?

Is there a such a thing as a rear hub with quick release for SS? I want to race on my SS, but cant figure out what to do in csae of a rear flat. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?

"Mr. Britannica"

not Bueller, but

Quote Originally Posted by El Juano
    Is there a such a thing as a rear hub with quick release for SS? I want to race on my SS, but cant figure out what to do in csae of a rear flat. Anyone? Bueller, Bueller?
    Surly New, or any number of others with the solid axle replaced with a hollow one.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job!

Yes there is. I have a Paul Word rear hub set up with a Salsa skewer. I just purchased a set of Paul Disc Hubs so I'm going to sell this wheel if you interested...Mavic X517 Rim, 14/15 ga spokes, 14 ga alloy nipples, 870 grams including skewer and rim tape. Less than 75 miles, clean, strong, and true.
    I also think DT Swiss new rear single speed hub (with Shimano's "rotor-lock") and Chris King rear hubs can be ordered with QR's. Of these three the Paul Hubs are least the expensive and are just as good.
    I sure there are more companies can do this, especially with the increase in popularity of disc brakes and eccentric bottom brackets.

mtbr member

Or you can solve it with this:

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/tuggnut_pop.html

"Ever stomp on the pedals just to have your rear wheel slide forward in the dropouts and throw your chain? We have....using all kinds of hubs in all kinds of frames. There are lots of BMX-style tensioners out there, but few of them fit in our dropouts without some serious grinding. So, we decided to design a chain tensioner that will keep that rear wheel static in our dropouts...and most other kinds of rear-facing horizontal dropouts. Plus, ours will open up a bottle o' brew. The body of the Tuggnut is investment cast in stainless steel for durability. It features a thumbscrew, for tool-free adjustments, and 2 axle holes for a wide range of fore/aft wheel positions. The Tuggnut comes with an aluminum adapter that reduces the axle hole from 10mm to 6mm, so you can use it with quick-release axles, in addition to nutted axles. We sell it as a single, because you really only need one...on the drive side. But, if you absolutely need one on the non-drive side of your rig, to achieve balance in your life, you are in luck...the bottle opener works either way."
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

or just use a standard cassette hub and spacers

the gusset 1-er is a good kit for that. looks very clean and works well.

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Hmmmm....

My fifteen MM wrench is in my pack right next to the spare tube....

Doesn't take THAT much longer for me to just use the wrench as opposed to a QR.

Thirty seconds per flat...perhaps??? I can still change a flat and be on the way in under four minutes, as I proved to meself at last weekends Whiskey Race up here. Good enough for me! (that's using a mini pump.....CO2's were on the roadie bike....)

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Eccentric Bottom Bracket anyone?
    Quick Release Nirvana

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Hmmmm....

My fifteen MM wrench is in my pack right next to the spare tube....

Doesn't take THAT much longer for me to just use the wrench as opposed to a QR.

Thirty seconds per flat...perhaps??? I can still change a flat and be on the way in under four minutes, as I proved to meself at last weekends Whiskey Race up here. Good enough for me! (that's using a mini pump.....CO2's were on the roadie bike....)
    15mm???? Holy socket head bolt Batman!

semi-evolved simian
    Woodman make a quick release SS cassette hub, the Bill Single QR. I think it's a straight copy of the Planet-X hub that [email protected] designed - therefore also the same as the Novatec hub but with QR.

http://www.woodmancomponents.com/pro..._singleqr.html

Looks like that website has some issues right now but it was working last week. I found it sold online somewhere for about $90 I think.

Cheers,
    Ian.