Q for the bar freaks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Q for the bar freaks

Fellas,

I know Mary's and Dirt Drops,Jones,et al., are all the rage on this board, but I saw on another post down the list (which nobody replied to. Way to make a brotha feel welcome ) a guy with a couple of way small Bonties with massive amounts of post hanging out and big riser bars.

Anyway, what I was considering is a way small frame and putting some big arse - even maybe BMX style - bars on it. Kinda like a big BMX, but one you could actually pedal for more than 30 seconds.

The smaller frame would have excellent standover, great vertical compliance, and well, just be 'different'. Heck, if Chester can make those dumb bikes with thin tires and road bars, surely I can be equally as dumb.

It's either that or I'm making an dedicated steel URT singlespeed and going totally Heretic.

A penny for your 2 cents?
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

Reviewer/Tester
    Hmmm... something like the old cruiser perhaps? A bigger BMX style of frame. I rode one for a while years ago.

It was heavy, but a handy machine, and pretty much unbreakable. Big riser bars, too.

I think mine ended up at the bottom of the river when one of my mates [?] rode it off a bridge..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Fellas,

I know Mary's and Dirt Drops,Jones,et al., are all the rage on this board, but I saw on another post down the list (which nobody replied to. Way to make a brotha feel welcome ) a guy with a couple of way small Bonties with massive amounts of post hanging out and big riser bars.

Anyway, what I was considering is a way small frame and putting some big arse - even maybe BMX style - bars on it. Kinda like a big BMX, but one you could actually pedal for more than 30 seconds.

The smaller frame would have excellent standover, great vertical compliance, and well, just be 'different'. Heck, if Chester can make those dumb bikes with thin tires and road bars, surely I can be equally as dumb.

It's either that or I'm making an dedicated steel URT singlespeed and going totally Heretic.

Sure. Why not?

Build tall stems for the frames so mtb bars could be used and for more knee clearance.

I had a frame build modeled after the Ibis mt trials bike. 26" front wheel, 24" rear. Short head tube, seat tube was 12" c-c and 17" c-t, 13" BB, 15.8" chainstays, rigid fork (this was 1987-8). Used 4" riser bars. It was a very fun bike.

A SS URT could be fun, too. with the current stable platform shocks a low pivot URT could work.

Even more fun would be a low profile SS URT.

I am having fun with this right now (not SS):

Details here: https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/i-am-big-shot-now-update-2-a-119850.html
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

artistic...
    how does a low center of gravity will give vertical compliance? unless it has some kind of string/ coil working to make it compliant!
    are you planing a small wheel, short wheelbase bike? interesting.. just when everybody is shooting for 43/ 44 in wheelbase..
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    how does a low center of gravity will give vertical compliance? unless it has some kind of string/ coil working to make it compliant!
    are you planing a small wheel, short wheelbase bike? interesting.. just when everybody is shooting for 43/ 44 in wheelbase..
    It is not the low CG. It is the low profile of the frame.

It is easier to flex a 2x4 laid flat than it is to flex a 4x4. the low CG is a result of the low profile frame.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Sure. Why not?

Build tall stems for the frames so mtb bars could be used and for more knee clearance.

I had a frame build modeled after the Ibis mt trials bike. 26" front wheel, 24" rear. Short head tube, seat tube was 12" c-c and 17" c-t, 13" BB, 15.8" chainstays, rigid fork (this was 1987-8). Used 4" riser bars. It was a very fun bike.

A SS URT could be fun, too. with the current stable platform shocks a low pivot URT could work.

Even more fun would be a low profile SS URT.

I am having fun with this right now (not SS):
    (Pic of Slingshot)
    I used to rock a Slingshot back-in-the-day. Boy, when that bit of reject snow ski wore out, you had one hell of a weird flexy-flier on your hands. Up to that point, it was a singletrack eater.

You know, call me retrograde, but I never understood why URTs fell out of fashion. In my mind, they're the perfect privateer XC race bike, albeit compromised due to their lack of compliance out-of-the-saddle. BUT, for a singlespeed where you're compromised anyway and rely largely on grunt to get you up hills, URTs do make some sense.

Especially when you're racing and totally shagged to the point where actually getting up off the saddle seems like an impossibility. (ie: Me at the 2003 Aussie SS champs)

Great, now I have two more personal frames to add to the list of wacky bikes I should make for myself before inflicting them on the unsuspecting public.

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    What is URT?

LP

Build something like this Thy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lanpope
    What is URT?

LP
    <b>U</b>nified <b>R</b>ear <b>T</b>riangle or the ejector seat bike.
    Last edited by Ratt; 08-08-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    ...or the ejector seat bike.
    Nahh. That was the Softride beam bikes.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Build something like this Thy
    That would be a torsional nightmare, but an FS singlespeed with insane standover is definitely going to be on the drawingboard......soon.

Right after I finish a couple of other projects. Got another FS bike on the cards and I'm having a play with Scandium at the moment, so -

Now I gotta find me some silly tall riser bars that aren't too wide....or maybe some Mini BMX bars....hrmm......

Steamroller

Check out Dan's

Now I gotta find me some silly tall riser bars that aren't too wide....or maybe some Mini BMX bars....hrmm......
    Dans Comp has lots of bars some are nice high BMX bars that have the width us SSrs seem to favor. I'm not sure of the clamp diameter though.

I saw a bike being built by a local shop about 2 years ago. It was a custom Ti frame designed very much like a 26" BMX bike. Geometry, bars, tires all were very BMX, but gearing was 2 to 1. I was pretty impressed at the time.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member

i have seen a ti cycles version

Fellas,

have a pic at home, will post.

it is a 26" bmx sort-o thing. with cruiser bars (as in 24" wheel bmx bars)

looks sweet, like a ti precursor to the bmw things

Recovering couch patato
    My covered-in-basement-dust 26" VooDoo Canzo ESP is an URT. Unique about URT's, I guess, is that the pivot sits in front of the BB. The BB shell is part of the rear triangle.
    This was my first proper bike, and I never rode other FS's much after it, but one thing I remember about this bike, is it's AMAZING straight-line speed over rough flat gravel roads. I'm talking 30mph on extremely rough gravel in times when I hardly made those speeds on pavement. Very, very sensitive suspension made it so ultra-smooth riding I guess.
    It would climb a bridge though, bob'd all over the place. A guy I know still rides his '97 Canzo Ti, and has put in an SPV shock, apparently the bike now DOES climb efficiently.

I'd love a steel URT SS, but only 29", of course :-)

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

That would be a torsional nightmare
    How would that be all that different than the FSRs of a few years ago with the monocoque top/downtube? Like this one hanging from my rafters.

It would probably take a bit of work manipulating and joining a combo of square and round section tubing, but for a personal project bike ...
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

ti cycles bmixer

nice eh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am the owl
    Sure, why not. Like the Fireman's Texas Cruiser. I want one.

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Sure, why not. Like the Fireman's Texas Cruiser. I want one.
    Yeah, except less BMXy than that.

Damnit, all these lower rise BMX bars have insanely low rider weight limits.

Maybe I can pull some strings and get someone with a bender to bend me up a Ti riser bar thats 630mm wide, 9 deg backsweep, with 4" of rise and a cross-brace?

Damn this experimenting is an expensive hobby.

Yeah, except less BMXy than that.

Damnit, all these lower rise BMX bars have insanely low rider weight limits.

Maybe I can pull some strings and get someone with a bender to bend me up a Ti riser bar thats 630mm wide, 9 deg backsweep, with 4" of rise and a cross-brace?

Damn this experimenting is an expensive hobby.
    Just do segmented riser bars. Especially for prototyping it would be easier to get what you want.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Call up Kappa and ask them about the GR cruiser bar. Check out the 26" & 29" frames also. One of the few 26" bmx / cruisers available.

http://www.kappabmx.com/bars.html

mtbr member

or thick cycles

dont think it is thick.com, may be thickbikes.com?
    Last edited by dRjOn; 08-10-2005 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correct website found