PW kiss off pics or opinions??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

PW kiss off pics or opinions??

I am thinking about getting a Phil Wood kiss off frame and I would like people’s opinions on them and also some pictures posted if possible.

Cheers, Shawn

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've had one for two years now...

Quote Originally Posted by sargon97
    I am thinking about getting a Phil Wood kiss off frame and I would like people’s opinions on them and also some pictures posted if possible.

Cheers, Shawn
    love the bike and frame. Here's a pic of my baby when it was brand new.
    Attached Images Attached Images

croSSman
    Feb 2004

Be prepared to...

Be prepared to fall in love every time you swing a leg over. The first time I rode my Kiss Off, it just felt right. Very snappy and smooth. The thing downhills amazingly well because the rear end soaks up a lot. You'll love it.
    rossta

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ross
    Be prepared to fall in love every time you swing a leg over. The first time I rode my Kiss Off, it just felt right. Very snappy and smooth. The thing downhills amazingly well because the rear end soaks up a lot. You'll love it.
    Aren't the Phil Wood Kiss Off's a re-branded Sycip frame w/ Phil Wood components?

Might wanna ask for opinions from Sycip owners as well...

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nice...

Is that a large? Do they run big or small?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yep, that's a large

Is that a large? Do they run big or small?
    effective top tube is 24 inches. I'm six foot and it's probably a lil big (about 1/2 inch) for me top tube wise, but I like long top tubes (that doesn't sound good) and the medium is waay to small for how I like my bike set up.

The bike handles like a dream, very stable at speed, springy in the rocky stuff, stiff when climbing.

Phil Wood and SyCip built up a very sweet frame. Although my old Ventana el toro will always hold a soft spot in my heart, the PW/SyCip is the best hardtail I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, I am about the same hight so I guess a large looks best. 24" TT is fine for me, I only wish it was an 18" and not an 18.5". Anyway the M looks tiny.

Thanks again for the information.

Regards, Shawn

"Mr. Britannica"

that's what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    Aren't the Phil Wood Kiss Off's a re-branded Sycip frame w/ Phil Wood components?

...and you don't hear much about Sycip here.

If you have to ask...

Not simply rebranded, no

Sycip makes the PW bike to PW geometry specs, using different tube sets than on their own bikes. About the only thing that the bikes have in common is the guy welding them together.

If you are thinking about a PW, all I can say is that they are superb bikes.

Miles

Bikes not Bombs.....

Good job! PW bikes....

Phil Wood is on top of the game when it comes to innovative products, quality through out the product lines and world class customer service. Their new SS bikes will be sweet and I can personally recommend them from experience.

The Sycip connection is first class. I have known them since the very first frame Jay and Jeremy welded together in a little back room in Fremont California. They have come a long way, staying on top by providing true craftsmanship and customer service that meets and exceeds the needs of the customer.

You will not have a problem with the quality of the frame and components provided. You will own a classy bike with a great heritage.

I tried to hold back how I relly feel, next time I will really speak my mind.....

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

Medium?

Like Miles said...

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal

Might wanna ask for opinions from Sycip owners as well...

-Trevor
    "About the only thing that the bikes have in common is the guy welding them together."

The design, tubing and geometry are different. Compare pics on the two websites.

mtbr member
    Here's my ride. Bought the sycip-KissOff frame second hand from DAS. it's been reincarnated several time since, from dirt, to fixie-road, and back, never letting me down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job! KissOff -sweat ride

I purchase a new Kiss Off about a year ago. It included the front/rear hub and bottom bracket. No complains, it rides great very smooth on the trails. It handles great on single track which is my favorite riding. Just make sure you get wide handle bars, they make a big differance.

My set up......
    180 raceface cranks
    Marzocchi marathon SL forks
    Mavic 517 rims of course with phil wood hubs
    26' wide carbon fiber handle bars
    suspension seat post.......

Happy riding.................

Cheers, Shawn

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    effective top tube is 24 inches. I'm six foot and it's probably a lil big (about 1/2 inch) for me top tube wise, but I like long top tubes (that doesn't sound good) and the medium is waay to small for how I like my bike set up.

The bike handles like a dream, very stable at speed, springy in the rocky stuff, stiff when climbing.

Phil Wood and SyCip built up a very sweet frame. Although my old Ventana el toro will always hold a soft spot in my heart, the PW/SyCip is the best hardtail I have ridden.
    Your bike is too long in the front end. Ick.

FWIW, you can't go wrong with ANYTHING that says "phil wood" on it...and if you do and have ANY sort of problem...the customer service is seriously the best in the industry.

I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a kiss off. (I would wait for 2004s to arrive though!)

get down!
    I think the top tube looks fine...you should be on a 29'er though, that joint looks out of proportion to the wheels.

would Phil Wood do a 29'er?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

And yours is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Your bike is too long in the front end. Ick.

FWIW, you can't go wrong with ANYTHING that says "phil wood" on it...and if you do and have ANY sort of problem...the customer service is seriously the best in the industry.

I can wholeheartedly recommend buying a kiss off. (I would wait for 2004s to arrive though!)

LOL! Did you give Suzy my advice on Mather?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Roger___

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    ...and you don't hear much about Sycip here.
    Actually you do hear plenty about SyCip here. Do a poll and you'd be surpised by how many guys on this board have SyCip bikes. But that's a different discussion.

I've got two and a half (the PW being a half brother.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Been considering one for awhile now

Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    I think the top tube looks fine...you should be on a 29'er though, that joint looks out of proportion to the wheels.

would Phil Wood do a 29'er?
    Need to part with some other current bikes to do it though.

If I do it, it'll be a Sycip 29er, hmmmm, maybe a bday present for myself! LOL!