Thread: push-up method?

mtbr member

push-up method?

hey, I'm running my old salsa a la carte as a singlespeed. I bought a singleator (actually a knockoff by profile designs or somebody, but it looks just like the singleator). I've heard/read about running it in the push-up method, but I don't see how I could do it. Is it only possible with the authentic singleator?

I tried taking the thing apart, but I couldn't see any way to turn the spring around (make the little pullly push up against the chain instead instead of pulling it down).

Anyone have instructions to convert the singleator (or its pretenders) to run in this "push-up" method?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I use a zip tie between the chainstay and singulator

Works better than the spring in the push up position. Just make sure you carry some extra zip ties in case you have to fix a flat.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I think the Singulator has two springs. One push up and one push down. Swap as needed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

One gear to rule them all
    Quote Originally Posted by donpabl0
    hey, I'm running my old salsa a la carte as a singlespeed. I bought a singleator (actually a knockoff by profile designs or somebody, but it looks just like the singleator). I've heard/read about running it in the push-up method, but I don't see how I could do it. Is it only possible with the authentic singleator?

I tried taking the thing apart, but I couldn't see any way to turn the spring around (make the little pullly push up against the chain instead instead of pulling it down).

Anyone have instructions to convert the singleator (or its pretenders) to run in this "push-up" method?

Thanks.
    The Surly Singulator comes with two springs, one for up and one for down. I am not sure about the copies.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtHog
    Works better than the spring in the push up position. Just make sure you carry some extra zip ties in case you have to fix a flat.
    Good point; I'm actually using zip ties now (wrapped around the back of the singleator and connected to the der. hanger) to increase the pull on the chain. Flipping it around and zip-tying the arm to the chainstay would have been way easier.

mtbr member
    yeah, sounds like I'll have to try dirt hog's zip-tie method. thanks for the info.

mtbr member

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by donpabl0

Thanks.
    Doesn't pull down work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For me the pull down works fine if you are only dealing a small amount of chain slack. I have one bike pulling down with a surly singulator and it works great. On my other bike I have a singulator knockoff that just doesn't work as well pulling down. This bike has a lot more chain slack than the other bike. Using a zip tie pulling up it works great.