Purple Ano Ringle Singlespeed hub on Ebay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Purple Ano Ringle Singlespeed hub on Ebay

I've got no connection to this place, but found this and thought someone might be interested...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Ringle-R...QQcmdZViewItem
    -Sean

Sweep the leg!
    beat me to the reply... yup, there's no way to adjust it for chain line... unlike a Bullseye or others..

but it is Purple!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Not a SS hub and the seller does not claim it is. They correctly call it a 7/8-speed FW hub.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Geez... just trying to help out. You CAN use it as a singlespeed hub, if you so chose to. It might not be ideal, but it could work.
    -Sean

those are Rollercams...
    Be better to post this on the V-R-C board.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sean350
    Geez... just trying to help out. You CAN use it as a singlespeed hub, if you so chose to. It might not be ideal, but it could work.
    -Sean
    Not really. The chainline would be WAY off unless you wanted to use a 20-28t chainring.
    mtbtires.com

Crash often, crash stupid

bullseye hub

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    beat me to the reply... yup, there's no way to adjust it for chain line... unlike a Bullseye or others..

but it is Purple!
    Can you mount a ENO freewheel on a bullseye hub.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not really. The chainline would be WAY off unless you wanted to use a 20-28t chainring.
    Hmmm... if you had a 110/74 crankset, you could go with as big as a 36 tooth on the inner, and if you were using 104/64, you could slap a 30 tooth on the inner (Sp├ęcialites T/A makes 'em both). I'm sure you could get the chainline pretty damn near spot on and not have to worry about some crazy small freewheel. Granted, you'd have to put a chainguard on to make sure it didn't look too freaky, but then, maybe that's a good thing...
    -Sean

Hmmm... if you had a 110/74 crankset, you could go with as big as a 36 tooth on the inner, and if you were using 104/64, you could slap a 30 tooth on the inner (Sp├ęcialites T/A makes 'em both). I'm sure you could get the chainline pretty damn near spot on and not have to worry about some crazy small freewheel. Granted, you'd have to put a chainguard on to make sure it didn't look too freaky, but then, maybe that's a good thing...
    -Sean
    But you would not have the chainstay clearance. To use a gearie FW hub with a BMX FW the ring would need to be in the inner position on the crank and it still may be too far outboard for a straight chainline.
    mtbtires.com

giddy up!
    Shig's right....I actually tried this setup with the same exact hub a few years back....no dice.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Shig's right....I actually tried this setup with the same exact hub a few years back....no dice.

B
    Donkey, where did it go wrong on this setup? I understand Shiggy's argument, but I'm thinking with a 36 (74 bcd) on the inner ring, and a short bb spindle, it seems as if you'd have enough clearance.
    -Sean
    Last edited by sean350; 01-06-2006 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Donkey, where did it go wrong on this setup? I understand Shiggy's argument, but I'm thinking with a 36 (74 bcd) on the inner ring, and a short bb spindle, it seems as if you'd have enough clearance.
    -Sean
    Well, There is about a 22mm difference in the distance from dropout to FW threads between my Paul WORD hub and a 7/8 speed hub meaning a SS FW will be 22mm closer to the centerline of the bike on the gearie hub.

On my bike with a 36t chainring I have 8mm of chainstay clearance.

Even if I moved the chainring in 7mm the chainline would still be 15mm off.

Take a look at the SS setups that use gearie cassette hubs. None have the cog right next to the spoke flange. It is usually on the outer third of the FH body (FH bodies are ~30mm wide).
    mtbtires.com

giddy up!
    -Sean
    What shig said pretty much covers it.....not nearly enough chainstay clearance to bring in the ring close enough.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm not sure if there's anything special about this rear hub beyond the color, but in my very first singlespeed conversion, I took my craptastic rear wheel that used a 7-speed freewheel, flipped the axle (and thereby the spacing), and slightly redished the wheel. I'm not sure what spindle length was in the bottom bracket of the Specialized Stumpjumper frame I put the wheel in, but my chainline was absofrigginlutely perfect.

As such, I'm not clear as to why this hub couldn't be used in a singlespeed setup.

surlysoul
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I'm not sure if there's anything special about this rear hub beyond the color, but in my very first singlespeed conversion, I took my craptastic rear wheel that used a 7-speed freewheel, flipped the axle (and thereby the spacing), and slightly redished the wheel. I'm not sure what spindle length was in the bottom bracket of the Specialized Stumpjumper frame I put the wheel in, but my chainline was absofrigginlutely perfect.

As such, I'm not clear as to why this hub couldn't be used in a singlespeed setup.
    If I remember this hub correctly you cannot flip the axle it uses different sized cartridge bearings on either side and different sized shoulders on the axle.

Members who have read this thread: 0