Punk rock and SS- Mtbr.com
    Feeling retro..but Jung

Punk rock and SS

I'm beggining to find a connection between Punk and SS. I think if Fat Mike (NOFX) rode a bike it would be a SS there is something pure about both.. maybe it's just me

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    I can't image him riding anything but BMX (would be SS, you're right).

mtbr member
    DIO has the same effect. So does Dokken.
    Nelson? only if you still shift.

mtbr member
    My guess at one connection lies in the "DIY" attitude of punk & ss. Punk is (can be) simplified rock, ss is simplified biking (less moving parts)
    There's also something to be said for doing it "Fast" and "Raw"

Feeling retro..but Jung
    BMX..skating...SS MTB...are kind of like one contuation for me...thaey actually were for me...

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kbollox
    There's also something to be said for doing it "Fast" and "Raw"
    thats what she said
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

mtbr member
    triathlons and Journey go hand in hand

Feeling retro..but Jung
    if thats your thing ok!! I do also tri with a Jersey that say's "fat guy's can tri" I'm a 250 pounder that runs 10 milers in 80 minutes sprint tri's in 1:36 ish and centuries in 5 ish hours..there not great times but to lose weight I would have to stop drinking beer and that is not going to happen...beer bikes and food what more is there to life??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris
    if thats your thing ok!! I do also tri with a Jersey that say's "fat guy's can tri" I'm a 250 pounder that runs 10 milers in 80 minutes sprint tri's in 1:36 ish and centuries in 5 ish hours..there not great times but to lose weight I would have to stop drinking beer and that is not going to happen...beer bikes and food what more is there to life??
    I am not ranking on triathloneers by any means. I love the sport, kicking ass on a ss road bike - and next summer, kicking it again on a carbon Land Shark road bike.

I was at an X-Terra tri in California once and the freakin' director kept playing "its the final count down!" over and over...

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    no thank you. on the other hand classic rock + ss Riding = ss rocking
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

artistic...
    punk rock is what? 35 yrs old? i thought SS was a youthfull thing.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris
    I'm beggining to find a connection between Punk and SS. I think if Fat Mike (NOFX) rode a bike it would be a SS there is something pure about both.. maybe it's just me
    I totaly agree. Punk music (the good punk at least) is about simplicity. No frills, just pure driving rock. I've been a punker for many years before I started riding and was instantly drawn to a singlespeed rigid bike even though everybody else has the geared squishy things.

And no, punk is not just for youth. If I have to explain, you wont understand.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I prefer to listen to nature breathe.

I swim like a rock, so I stick to marathons and lonely mountain rides.

mtbr member
    I don't know what kind of SS bike Shane MacGowan would ride, but I'm sure it would have a Surly flask on it somewhere

smell the saddle...

I can't keep up...Out of step with the world...

I thought anyone who rode a bicycle jammed to Queen's version of "Bicycle Race"...

Old school punk and metalhead here, nothing quite like pulling up to the trail listening to old Misfits or Black Flag. I would have to agree, SS does seem like the punk rock of cycling. Simply put, there are those of us that love the simplicity and DIY attitude of it all. And we all know others out there who don't get it and never will... (much like the hardcore movement of 80-82).

So if SS is punk rock...WTF is fixie hipsters...?

Feeling retro..but Jung
    jazz??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    So if SS is punk rock...WTF is fixie hipsters...?
    emo coffee shop musak

=========
    fixie hipsters like good music too......haven't ridden a fixie since my tricycle back in '61.....can't fathom ever fitting into skinny pants, but still can't understand why the pervading sentiment of these boards are so anti-hipster.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    fixie hipsters like good music too......haven't ridden a fixie since my tricycle back in '61.....can't fathom ever fitting into skinny pants, but still can't understand why the pervading sentiment of these boards are so anti-hipster.
    I was bringing that up more jokingly than anything else. I have nothing against hipsters, I occasionally do a few alley-cat races. I think any type of cycling is good for the sport of all. If you read BikeSnobNYC or AHTBM (All Hail the Black Market) youíll see a common denominator of everyone ďlovesĒ to hate on (or more specifically) make fun of the hipsters and fixie movement. I think itís rather refreshing to see something different such as this. And I have been in whatís dubbed the hipster capital(s) of the East Village, NYC & Williamsburg, Brooklyn itís a lifestyle for these kids all revolving around their bikes. Itís very interesting to say the least.

On the other hand, those of us who have been around cycling for several years see this movement as more of a fad, and doubtful it will last for the long haul. It's so far out there different it's becoming stereotypical. I can't see it becoming an adaption of cycling like single-speeding, etc. Of course maybe I'm wrong...

Witty McWitterson
    honky tonkin' country yo.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    this is like dirty sex in the woods - no towels or kleenex

Master Gardener
    They do have at least one thing in common: In both cases there is a set of people out there who think they "own" the culture itself rather than admitting that it evolves, like everything.

In the SS world, these are the people who, for instance, got on the SSWC09 website directly after the event (which several hundred people agreed was badass) talking about how the event wasn't singlespeedy, too corporate, etc.

Same with punk. There are always people who follow the word "punk rock" around and, everywhere they hear it, they have to chime in about how "this new **** isn't punk! Punk rock only existed for 4 years in the 70s!" Because they're experts, of course.

Punks alive. SS is alive. They just don't look like they did when we all first got into it.

Whether we're talking about trails, terrain or tunes... singlespeed goes with everything!

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Velo, The people you are talking about will always be around I just tend to ignore them. That would probally be because I am a conservative who likes punk and non-green, non-organic, non-vegitarian, non-weight weenie bike rider. I don't need to be anywhere to enjoy the bike trails, urban, back yard I'm cool with all of it I have no pidgeon holes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was listening to Amon Amarth on my way to the trailhead this weekend. So there must be a Viking Metal connection to single speeding. I don't think you'll see any geared bikes in Valhalla.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    cause it mirrors everyone.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    honky tonkin' country yo.
    elton john.

Members who have read this thread: 0