Pulled the Trigger...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Pulled the Trigger...

I ordered a ROS 9 Plus from Jenson. I was always interested in that bike, but doing a $3,100 bike was just not going to happen. Then saw the sale--$1,499! Had to do it. Can't wait to take off the drivetrain to make it SS, and set up tubeless. Big jump going from '07 KHS Solo One SE. Any tips for setting up the big wheels? I weight about 175 riding weight and am going to be riding on a lot of rocks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    I ordered a ROS 9 Plus from Jenson. I was always interested in that bike, but doing a $3,100 bike was just not going to happen. Then saw the sale--$1,499! Had to do it. Can't wait to take off the drivetrain to make it SS, and set up tubeless. Big jump going from '07 KHS Solo One SE. Any tips for setting up the big wheels? I weight about 175 riding weight and am going to be riding on a lot of rocks...
    One thing to watch out for on the ROS9+ running it SS is the chain clearance to the tire with a true 3" tire and standard crankset chainline will be only a few mm's. My ROS9+ came with a spidered RF crankset, I replaced it with a spiderless version and flipped the chainring this moves the chainline out 6mm far more clearance ~15mm now. It was a real pain with any mud before. Pic with a DHF+

Pulled the Trigger...-chainline.jpg
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    One thing to watch out for on the ROS9+ running it SS is the chain clearance to the tire with a true 3" tire and standard crankset chainline will be only a few mm's. My ROS9+ came with a spidered RF crankset, I replaced it with a spiderless version and flipped the chainring this moves the chainline out 6mm far more clearance ~15mm now. It was a real pain with any mud before. Pic with a DHF+

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chainline.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1144457
    I just sent you a PM a while ago asking about that exact scenario, looks like I'll buy a RF crank and flip the wring around!

To the OP, nice! Just ordered a ROS+ frame myself to run SS. Pretty stoked!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Love the ROS. Great looking bike for a great platform (29+).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    I just sent you a PM a while ago asking about that exact scenario, looks like I'll buy a RF crank and flip the wring around!

Yeah, super advice! Might run it geared for a bit, then order a spiderless crank. Can't wait for it show up!

mtbr member
    Replied to wrong post
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Yeah, super advice! Might run it geared for a bit, then order a spiderless crank. Can't wait for it show up!
    Ran it for a few months geared, first few are real close to tire.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post

Sorry man, hadnt been on the site in a few days, using the EXI version.

Race Face Aeffect Crankset | Chain Reaction Cycles

Handy pdf from RF

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. Brown santa dropped off box yesterday. It's quite the set up. Beautifully done frame, love the removable derailleur cable guides. Looks like SS isn't going to be that straight forward though. Appears it comes with an XD hub body. Might switch that with the hub body on my Crests so I can run my cogs. Don't know if I'll run into trouble on my other bike if I have a SRAM cassette, XT 11-speed derailleur, and shimano chain. That raceface crank looks like a winner. Little more project creep than I anticipated. I'll get it converted to tubeless, get the frame saver in it, and run it geared for the mean time, which will be fine. See how it does on some fire road rides. Just glad I saw this sale on this bike, was about to pull the trigger and get a stache...

mtbr member
    Yeah, mine came same way, bit the bullet and got an SS rrar built up. If yours came with 1st gen Hugo watch the air pressure those rims dent just looking at em
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Problem Solvers

Seems like a decent design for ss on an XD.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looks pretty cool, but I do have some really nice cogs I would hate to not use. Plus I could use the small 10 on my race bike... just might swap out the mainly shimano on the other bike. The SRAM also shifts with more conviction.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Yeah, mine came same way, bit the bullet and got an SS rrar built up. If yours came with 1st gen Hugo watch the air pressure those rims dent just looking at em
    I did read the stuff about the bad Hugos. The sales rep said, "I don't think so" when I asked him about the wheels, but it was not very confidence inspiring. Do you know if there is a way to tell what production run the rims are?

mtbr member
    I did read the stuff about the bad Hugos. The sales rep said, "I don't think so" when I asked him about the wheels, but it was not very confidence inspiring. Do you know if there is a way to tell what production run the rims are?
    I believe there's a little "Gen2" or "V2" or something to that effect in the graphics on the rim, if you got the newer gray ROS9+ it's probably the gen2 not sure if those were sold built up or not. I was able to use a rubber mallet to pound out the worst dents fairly easily.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS