mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pugs on the beach 2

Pugs, Pinky and my wife Kathy and I all went to the beach and rode as far as we could get. That was the plan, anyway, and a bad tire on Pinky changed all that. We had to make camp early, but still had a great time.

The 3.0 Gazz on Large Marge on Pinky would not stay seated, so we had to walk it back out. But Pugs is absolutely heads above any other beach bike out there. It floats so well, that there's minimal rolling resistance. Kathy struggled to keep me in sight when she was riding the 3.0 Gazz tires. As you can see in the tread pix, the lugged tread bit in the sand enough to add alot of resistance, more than it looks like. So for those thinking the Surly Burly Tundra Hog tires need more tread, I disagree. They work great as is.

This week we'll go farther north on the beach and try to get to Hope, a tiny mining village with a great bar. Kathy will be on Ray Molina's Sandbike so we can compare.

And don't forget, the Pugs front fork won't fit on a normal roof rack. It has spacing for a rear on the front.

Enjoy,

Alaska Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hope you realise it is a sin to create envy like that...
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

(was) Big in Japan

Beautiful photos!

I especially like the last one - it really shows how lightly the Surly tires tread! Looks awesome. Dammit, I didn't need another bike....
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Pugs, Pinky and my wife Kathy and I all went to the beach and rode as far as we could get.

Life looks good in Alaska.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Life is always good in AK

And summer is the finest kind.
    I have 150 more pics of that ride if'n you wanna see 'em. I've discovered a whole new world of riding on the beach, going places I never considered before. I know we kick ourselves everytime a new bike comes out that we want, but Pugs is truly a whole new concept. The tires are the key, so look for a frame that will fit them and go have a ball. If you're near a beach, tundra, snow, sand, or anywhere you need optimal float, give it a try. You'll have that permanent smile you got when you first started SSing.
    I'll post a few more pix on monday,

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More Pugs on da beach

I'm like a proud pappy showing off my newest offspring, so bare with me. This bike and remote beach riding is just too much fun to keep to myself.

The big rocks are carried in every winter by the sea ice, and the watch pic is in the PM!

That's the volcano Mt Spur out the tent door.

Enjoy....

AlaskaPat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Caveman

The classic..

Pat, nice photos!
    When I get mine, (or should I say- when you get me mine!) we need to do the classic hope to Homer, packrafting the tight spots. I'm up on slope now, Haul road looks good as always..

My knee and I should be back in action pretty soon.
    have fun! and keep posting more photos
    Ep

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm route finding now

I'm slowly making my way toward Hope to see if we can do the whole 200 miles w/o a pack raft. Let you know what I find.
    It's a real pain to drive 4 hrs all the way around to Nikiski to scout the route when it's only about 20 miles from Anchorage by water. Perhaps next time I'll start in Hope and travel toward my last known spot. Much shorter drive.
    It's the mouth of the refuge that I'm not sure of. Just have to go there and see....
    Have fun on the slope,
    Pat

Recovering couch patato
    I'm torn now. I had decided to myself that I had bought my very last 26"er, and only because I couldn't get a 29" 4-cross kinda bike, plus I got deals on every single part of the build.
    This Pugs looks like too much fun. There's a beach at only 15 miles from my home, and various mini-deserts spread over the country, surrounded by nice bike-legal trails.
    I can see myself cleaning ultra-loose dune hills on the Pugs, ride along the beach regardless the tide, and (with a few *cough* gears) ride up dikes and maybe even staircases steeper than I ever attempted.

Pugs like So many more reasons to go for a ride, I can't find a reason not to want one.

Will currently existing snowbikes have anything left over the Pugs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pugs as 29er

Clox, if it makes you feel any better, the tires meaure right at 29", so don't beat yourself up over it. I felt the same way, but these tires go where none of my 'real' 29ers go, and I'm having too much fun to worry about it.

There's something to be said about the "right tool for the job", and Pugs is right for this type of riding. I don't ride 26" for any other riding, but Pugs is now a regular in my stable. I'll even use in winter not because it's better on a good trail, but because it will go when the trail sux and I don't have to worry so much about how the trail will be up ahead. I may not win any races on it, but who cares anyway? Alaska is too pretty to race thru....

Hope this makes you feel better,

Pat

Recovering couch patato
    Thx Pat. But no, I don't feel better. I now WANT the Pugs even more :-(

But don't you think the Pugs will be quick in snow races, exactly by going where others walk?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fear not

In our snow races, if the trail is hardpacked and cold, just enough tire usually wins. MikeC won the 350 on his 29er, I twice won it on my 26x2.4 SS, and Stamstad won it several times on 26x2.2. The really fat tires are just slower when the trail is good, but they ride more of the crappy sections then the others. But we're not talking great speeds here. You can often walk as fast as a fat bike rides picking it's way along thru the soft snow. But as soon as it sets up hard in the cold at night, zoom!, the smaller tires fly. The fat bikes just keep going at the same speed or so.

But the cool thing about these bikes is that you know they'll go whether the trail is primo or not. In those warm soft-snow conditions is when the fatbikes usually win the races, which they do occasionally.

But I'm not in race mode right now and I just want to go have fun w/o worrying about trail/beach conditions. I know that I can take Pugs 4 hrs south of Anchorage to my favorite beach and be able to ride. My 29ers couldn't have ridden the beach you see in the pix, nor could my 26" snow bike. Pinky rode most of it with 3.0/Marge, but still there were places that she struggled. Pugs float was able to ride EVERYTHING he encountered, and that's good to know before starting a 4 hr drive. Or starting a 350 mile winter ride.

I guess my point is that when I ride the 350 again, it'll be on Pugs, not to win it, but to actually ride most, if not all, of it. I get so tired of pushing my bike, and you just never know if you'll be riding most of it or pushing alot. I've never raced it and not pushed at least 50 miles. That has now changed!

And Pugs won't set you back that much compared to other bikes. Certainly not like the unobtainium SS/Zipp bike in that other forum, and it'll go so many more places than those others.

Clox, face it, you just need to have a Pugs to fill out your stable.

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

more pix soon

We're off to Hope on Tuesday to ride south toward Homer and will get lots of pix. Should be the best yet.
    Pat