Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    Pugs at the beach

    Not sure where to post this, so since it's a SS Pugsley, I thought here would be a good start.
    I took him out on the coast near Anchorage for the maiden voyage, and I must say this bike goes where no other will. The pic of the tracks thru the mud don't do it justice. That is nasty glacial silty mud that you can only stand on for a few seconds before you sink up to your knees or further. Pugs rode right over it......
    The tires are like nothing else. 3.7" w/ more float than a boat, and altho they ride funny on the hard stuff, they shine in the soft. This is my new winter bike as well!
    Enjoy.
    Alaska Pat
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    One gear to rule them all
    Reputation: 32seventeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    looks like you need to upgrade to disc brakes
    I love the look of those fat tires, I would like to ride one.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    discs

    I have an older not-so-standard disc hub on there and the inner dial on the Avids rubbed the spokes, so the cantis were an easy fix. V's aren't tall enough to clear the tire.
    With that said, I didn't need to brake much.....

    Pat

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: noslogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,615

    Wowwie

    I'm a Klein dork. But, I would get that for riding the boardwalk, bike and beer poker runs, coffee getter and SS downhills.
    That thing must weigh 40 lbs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mckeand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    245

    bars

    What kind of bars are you running there?

    That thing looks comfy. Just need a Paul Flatbed and you've got the ultimate beer-picker-upper.

  6. #6
    34N 118W
    Reputation: Hollywood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,246

    nice goin'

    way to tear up the Alaska national wildlife refuge!


    HW

  7. #7
    Hit The Road Cyclery
    Reputation: -Anomie-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    919
    You're a brave man. I've seen how fast the water rises when the tide turns, you wouldn't catch me dead out there on the mud flats. Get a flat at the wrong time and you could be up to your neck before you finished changing it.

  8. #8
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    Fat, suptle tires are so much fun on the beach. I'm used to 26x2.35" Schwalbe Fast Freds, I can only imagine the potential of 3.7". I once scored a very good position in a beach race because my Tires ahd the fload and the the right amount of tread to take huge advantage where others with fat slicks were forced to dismount. Just open the throttle and blast over the soft sand.

    There's a 140km beachrace this October here, along the longest straight coast of our country. The tide will not be perfect for a lot of it. A Pugsley iwth maybe slightly trimmed tread could well be a winner in the long run. when they last held the race, a lot of walking was involved.

    Pat, it's almost too bad that your bike is a SS. when my Freds were on "too low" psi, I rode up dunes with them. Nothing spectacular, but knowing what other tire would do on that sort of terrain maikes it all the cooler to just ride it. Your experince riding that treaturous (sp?) mud must be even greater.
    With a Pugsley on a beach, just wait for the tide to come, and sail home! If that fails, I bet it's a great floatation device, even with just one tire inflated:-)

    Could a Pusley be the very last 559mm rim'd bike I'll ever buy?
    It looks to be the first true go-everywhere bike.

    Thanks for the inspirational pics, Pat!

  9. #9
    []D [] []\/[] []D
    Reputation: zenorb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    204
    You're a brave man. I've seen how fast the water rises when the tide turns, you wouldn't catch me dead out there on the mud flats. Get a flat at the wrong time and you could be up to your neck before you finished changing it.
    There is only a subtle difference between brave and stupid. I too have seen the tides there and would not go near those mud flats.

    Be careful out there.
    100% behind everyone's right to do stupid sh!t and get hurt as long as they don't sue anyone.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    14
    What is the bottom bracket on there?
    The bb shell is about 100mm isn't it?

  11. #11
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,709

    Cool Pugly!

    Quote Originally Posted by zenorb
    There is only a subtle difference between brave and stupid. I too have seen the tides there and would not go near those mud flats.

    Be careful out there.
    Did ya' notice the tires on there?!
    They would just float right on up with the tide- built in life preservers, man!
    Spinning and Grinning...

  12. #12
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    It would be interesting to calculate (or just try) what speed you'd have to travel to actually not sink in water. Intensional aqua planing, if you will.

    Icelandic Rally Cars, 100% custom 4WD long-travel buggy's really, that ride up cliffs that hucksters would jump, actually are able to cross lakes that are often part of the course. Not seldom with a 90ยบ corner, ON the lake! Hmmm, an amphibic bike...

  13. #13
    stop...safety first
    Reputation: TubeSSnapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    241
    Just out of curiosity.....what was the plan in case of a mechanical? Or are was your a crazy/stupid ride?
    very cool bike...nice pics too.

  14. #14
    Occidental Tourist
    Reputation: YuriB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,563
    So pugly it's peautiful
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

  15. #15
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    Aaah, this is what it reminded me of :-)

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    Pat's Reply

    First of all, you can see in the pic that I wasn't far from the terra-sort-of-firma of the rocky sand...a few feet actually. Yes, it would be stupid to venture too far out on the mudflats on the first ride. That particular section is not the worst of the mud flats, and I won't ride on them until I know more about the bike. Turnagain Arm has the 2nd highest tide in the world, and when it comes in it's usually in a big wave called a bore tide. Folks often surf it! No, I won't ride there....
    As for weight, Pugs comes in at a svelt 29-ish lbs. My scales are not the greatest, but it's definately under 30 lbs!
    That's with:
    Hugi rear / Spot front hubs/Marge
    14/15 spokes
    FSA Carbon crank/FSA 100mm BB
    Ti post/old WTB saddle
    Surly Burly Tundra Hog tires(lighter than they look and yet to be officially named)
    Nitto Albatross bar flared to 45'
    Avid Shorty 6 / levers found in the trash
    The only thing I had to buy was the BB, the rest was laying around the shop.

    As for tearing up the landscape, when the tide comes in all traces of me and Pugs are gone. And the tires are so big, they leave a barely noticable footprint. My footprint was way more noticable. Then the tide came in and all was gone.....

    As for the ride, all I can say is it has to be experienced. The big tires feel a little weird on the hard stuff, but feel great on the soft. I ran about 12 psi the whole time.

    And since it's a Surly, it rides like a bike. Nothing fancy, nothing outta the ordinary, no gimmicks. That's the best thing to be said for a bike. This one just goes where others won't!

    We're off for a 2-day coast run next week and I'll have more to say then. I'll load it up w/ rack, panniers, and all our camp gear just to see how it does. I'm very confident it will be just fine. My wife will be on Pinky w/ Marge/Gazz so we can compare.

    As I spend more time with him I'll be able to better answer your ??'s.

    Alaska Pat

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jugdish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    First of all, you can see in the pic that I wasn't far from the terra-sort-of-firma of the rocky sand...a few feet actually. Yes, it would be stupid to venture too far out on the mudflats on the first ride. That particular section is not the worst of the mud flats, and I won't ride on them until I know more about the bike. Turnagain Arm has the 2nd highest tide in the world, and when it comes in it's usually in a big wave called a bore tide. Folks often surf it! No, I won't ride there....
    As for weight, Pugs comes in at a svelt 29-ish lbs. My scales are not the greatest, but it's definately under 30 lbs!
    That's with:
    Hugi rear / Spot front hubs/Marge
    14/15 spokes
    FSA Carbon crank/FSA 100mm BB
    Ti post/old WTB saddle
    Surly Burly Tundra Hog tires(lighter than they look and yet to be officially named)
    Nitto Albatross bar flared to 45'
    Avid Shorty 6 / levers found in the trash
    The only thing I had to buy was the BB, the rest was laying around the shop.

    As for tearing up the landscape, when the tide comes in all traces of me and Pugs are gone. And the tires are so big, they leave a barely noticable footprint. My footprint was way more noticable. Then the tide came in and all was gone.....

    As for the ride, all I can say is it has to be experienced. The big tires feel a little weird on the hard stuff, but feel great on the soft. I ran about 12 psi the whole time.

    And since it's a Surly, it rides like a bike. Nothing fancy, nothing outta the ordinary, no gimmicks. That's the best thing to be said for a bike. This one just goes where others won't!

    We're off for a 2-day coast run next week and I'll have more to say then. I'll load it up w/ rack, panniers, and all our camp gear just to see how it does. I'm very confident it will be just fine. My wife will be on Pinky w/ Marge/Gazz so we can compare.

    As I spend more time with him I'll be able to better answer your ??'s.

    Alaska Pat

    Too Cool.

  18. #18
    Probably drunk right now
    Reputation: Ken in KC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,749

    Sweet. Here's another...

    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Not sure where to post this, so since it's a SS Pugsley, I thought here would be a good start.
    I took him out on the coast near Anchorage for the maiden voyage, and I must say this bike goes where no other will. The pic of the tracks thru the mud don't do it justice. That is nasty glacial silty mud that you can only stand on for a few seconds before you sink up to your knees or further. Pugs rode right over it......
    The tires are like nothing else. 3.7" w/ more float than a boat, and altho they ride funny on the hard stuff, they shine in the soft. This is my new winter bike as well!
    Enjoy.
    Alaska Pat
    Very cool. Thanks for posting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    Pugs fixie

    I'm thinking for the beach rides, and fixie is in order. It's so slow going and flat....

    Let you guys know how it goes.

    Pat

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SSSasky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    618
    Pugs certainly do seem to adapt to the messy wet stuff well. Gotta like the tire.

    The other water friendly "Pugsley".
    <img src="https://www.shadypineskennel.com/images/Pugsley.jpg">

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    Oops, there's more

    Because Pugs uses 2 rear wheels, I can have the best of both worlds. How cool is that? And if I used flip/flop hubs on both, that's alot of options. Shazam!

    Pat

  22. #22
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,017
    With going tide, the beaches here can get as quick like a concrete oval track. Rising tide, and you're on foot. I like the idea of doing that beach marathon on a fixie, hmmm...would a perfect gear be found, considering the Pugs won't slow down as much in the mud?

    I think Surly actually came up with a name for the tires, they've been referring to it as Endomorph or something along those lines for some time.

    Surly had one tire proto (source : surly Blog) that weighed just 1260g. About what most heavy duty 2.7" tires weight. The Endomorph is not meant as a DH tire, of course.

  23. #23
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Sweet bike ! Glad it is getting used to its full extent in the elements. Thanks for the story and pics.


    I look foward to hearing your reviews on camping and winter rides.


    Evel
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

    There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14



  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AteMrYeats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Nitto Albatross bar flared to 45'

    Alaska Pat
    How did you "flare" those bars? Did you use some sort of bending jig or just brute force and some backyard engineering? Nice work on that Pugsley by the way.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    938

    bending da bars

    I thought it would be simple to bend the bars with a pipe bender. It isn't. So I got the same guy who moved the brake studs on my 1x1 so I can run 29ers to heat the bar and bend it by hand. He said it was way more trouble than it's worth.

    So either do it yourself, or just buy an H-Bar or Mary. Or if you don't want the 45' bend, get yourself a Nitto and enjoy the scenery.

    Pat

Similar Threads

  1. What tires for beach ?
    By DH_WP in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 12:27 AM
  2. Going to Gold Beach, Need Trails
    By Chekhov in forum Oregon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 12:39 AM
  3. beach ride (pics)
    By benvallack in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 09:14 PM
  4. beach cruiser
    By drsam in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.