Protective gear- Mtbr.com

Thread: Protective gear

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Protective gear

Not really a ss specific question, but just curious here, only having been into mtb'ing a short while and ss'ing even shorter - for cross-country type of riding(which I do and I assume many of you do) how many folks are wearing protective gear beyond just a helmet and gloves? I won't ride w/o those, and usually long-sleeves too (but that's more about the sun and poison oak).
    I'm a pretty tame rider, but here in SoCal it's nearly impossible to avoid rocky stuff. I've never gone down in a rock garden but I have the opportunity to every time I'm out!
    Just curious. I was wondering if many folks in this community wear knee or elbow pads...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You will likely get more traction on this in the General Discussion section. To answer your question, I have always just ridden with helmet, gloves and sunglasses. However, after I kicked up a fist sized rock into my shin last weekend, I have been researching shin guards.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I only ride with glasses and helmet most of the time. I don't wear gloves most of the time, but I know I should.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've been thinking about grabbing some shin or knee pads recently. I've smashed my left knee up a lot and am starting to worry about it giving me trouble in the future. Currently just ride with gloves, helmet, and sun glasses.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Currently just helmet gloves and sunglasses. I have thought about elbow and knee pads just in case. I don't have an office job. My job involves climbing ladders ect so if I have a bad injury biking, I may be screwed until I heal. Not something I want to think about.

move on up...
    I have had several knee injuries over the years and have had 661 knee pads and this year I am trying these Joint VPD Air Knee - POC

Wanna ride bikes?
    i always read about, and see guys in magazines, wearing knee pads. other than the occasional knee to handlebar/stem while exiting the front of my bike unexpectedly, my knees don't take the worst of it. i can't even think of one time i needed knee pads.

I'm not saying others don't, but the thing that takes the worst beating, by far, is my shoulders. i run into trees a lot it seems, and they don't give. not even a little. i have scars on both shoulders from trees and dirt/gravel from crashing. but my knees are in good shape.

really it's not my fault though. the trees come out of no where and jump in front of my bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yeah, honestly, I don't worry about my knees. I worry more about elbows and wrists, since I'd be outta work if I really injured them!

mtbr member
    Helmet, full finger gloves, and glasses for me. Oh, and I coat myself with lycra too.

mtbr member
    Helmet, glasses, full finger gloves, and I wear knee pads more often than not as I seem to always ding up my knees when I go down. Through the years I have tried knee pads from 661, Rockgardn, G-Form, and Dianese. My current set of Dianese Trail Skins have proved to be the best at balancing protection and security with ventilation and comfort.