Protection against corrosion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Protection against corrosion?

Evening,

So I was thinking. Giving the Kona Unit's steel frame. Should it be sprayed inside to protect against rust?

I'll not be commuting, and when being exposed to mud and water (I'll not baby it when riding), I'll wash it off and hang it in my workshop (not a heated room, but insulated and well ventilated).

Giving I won't expose it to salt and rainy work-days, should I need to take pre-cautions before first ride?

mtbr member
    Yes, you should anyway as the internal steel is untreated with anything and freshly welded. In addition the combination of steel frame and aluminum seatpost invites galvanic corrosion pretty much impossible to remove the seatpost after that. Spray the frame saver in all openings, tubes, even welding holes. One of the standards is this stuff;

http://www.amazon.com/Weigles-Bicycle-Frame-Saver-Inhibitor/dp/B0012GO58Y

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've heard people talk good about Frame Saver.

My seat-posts always get's lubed. I'm a luber. I lube the shit out of everything that can move.

I wonder if I could use regular rust-protection for the automotive industry? It's a clear, thin, spray-able protector. Not the heavy stuff for underneath the car.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I've owned ridden/raced steel road and mtb frames custom and stock for eons. I'm a lifelong shop shop guy and still am and I've NEVER once bothered to spray frame saver in any frame I've owned and Rust has never been an issue. I guess maybe if you were gonna keep a frame for 10 years or something, but not for the shorter term. When you get yer bike dirty never hose the bike down. Let it dry and brush/wipe the bike down. No sense in adding more water to the bike and components than you need to.

mtbr member
    Weigels hardens up a bit after application, resembles or is cosmoline in a can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I ususally keep my bikes for many years. I'll look into some form for protection, just to be safe.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yer gonna love that unit

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    +1 for frame saver. Simple process, part of the build for a steel frame.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is one of those old wive's tales. You really don't need to bother but everyone does it anyway. So go ahead and spray some frame saver in there, otherwise it's gonna drive you nuts worrying about it. But in the real world you'll never get enough rust to do any real damage to the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It'll not be Frame Saver - it's an US thing that costs an arm here to import.

But there are plenty of other options I'll apply, just to ease my mind.

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Boeshield T9 is cheaper and will work fine. Realistically you won't rust out a steel frame in your lifetime in the riding conditions you describe anyway, but if it helps you sleep at night, a little framesaver/Boeshield won't hurt anything.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had a good look down the tubes where possible on the old piece of junk from 1992 I have been riding so far. Walmart steel quality. Nothing to see that made me frown.

So for now I have decided not to do anything with the Unit.