mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Proper Chain Tensioning for Carver EBB

I recently made the switch from the stock EBB on my GF Rig to the Carver EBB. On first glance it def. appears to be a better design, and installing it was relatively painless. I rode a really hilly trail for close to three hours, and the chain started to loosen up a little. When I went to tighten it up in the morning yesterday, I noticed that there were times in the revolution where the chain would be tighter/looser than others. I don't recall this being the case with the old EBB, and I'm using the same length of chain. Any thoughts on what's happening? Is it OK to ride like this? Thanks in advance for the help.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gurney
    I recently made the switch from the stock EBB on my GF Rig to the Carver EBB. On first glance it def. appears to be a better design, and installing it was relatively painless. I rode a really hilly trail for close to three hours, and the chain started to loosen up a little. When I went to tighten it up in the morning yesterday, I noticed that there were times in the revolution where the chain would be tighter/looser than others. I don't recall this being the case with the old EBB, and I'm using the same length of chain. Any thoughts on what's happening? Is it OK to ride like this? Thanks in advance for the help.
    It could be a few things. Your sprocket carrier, chain rings, or EBB could be out of round. I doubt the EBB is out Carver makes Good Stuff.

Just find the tightest spot and have about 1/4 inch of up & down movement in your chain. then rotate it around and check for the tight spot again. Just be sure to always adjust the chain at the tightest spot. Should take care of it for you.
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the help. I'll check that out tonight when I get home. Is is really bad to ride with it that way?

^ The Trail Starts Here ^

Good job!

Pete:

If it's to tight it will bind, and cause undue wear, if it's too loose it might come off. Very important to keep your chain Clean, Lubed, and Properly Aligned and tensioned. It is the only connection between you and making the bike go forward, unless of course you are coasting downhill. You don't want to get stranded out there.

New chains will stretch a bit before taking a "Set" usually the first ride on a new chain you will see the most adjustment needed then less after, but if you really hammer or ride lots uphills. You will need to keep an eye on it a bit more.

I check mine before every ride it only take a few minutes and I'm out on the trail enjoying myself. Well worth the few minutes to have hours of fun!

Another good thing to carry is "Quick Link" Just in case your chain breaks you will be able to use this device, that is nothing more than a link you can add in the place of the broken link. It would also be a good idea to get a chain breaker.

Ask your local bike shop to help you and show you how to use these. Of course it would be a good idea to purchase these items from your local bike shop and not form the internet. Therefore making a friend and someone you can go back to for more help.

Whew lot's of info............

Good Luck
    Proformance Cycle
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for your help. I do always carry a sram link and chain tool, but it's a good reminder for everyone. I was just making sure it wasn't detrimental to ride with the chain like that. That was my first ride with a new chain, so let's just hope that after a couple more rides it settles in for the long haul. I guess I'm still getting used to the whole singlespeed experience in terms of maitenance, but I've definately fallen in love with the ride. Thanks again.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004

Tight/Loose

Hi Pete,

Oddly enough the tight/loose problem is one of the very few mechanical problems that will actually heal itself!

As you ride, the slightly out of round chainring will gradually wear in. The extra pressure of the chain at the tight position will exert more pressure on the ring than in the loose position.

Now if only flats and taco'ed wheels were self-healing...

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gurney
    Thanks for your help. I do always carry a sram link and chain tool, but it's a good reminder for everyone. I was just making sure it wasn't detrimental to ride with the chain like that. That was my first ride with a new chain, so let's just hope that after a couple more rides it settles in for the long haul. I guess I'm still getting used to the whole singlespeed experience in terms of maitenance, but I've definately fallen in love with the ride. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0