Progess Slowed - Broken Bolt on Thomson Stem!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Progess Slowed - Broken Bolt on Thomson Stem!

Ok, not specific to SS, necessarily, but I've got myself a minor setback while cobbling together a singlespeed out of my old Ibis XtraMojo. Everything was going well until I broke a steerer clamp bolt in my Thomson stem while tightening it down to the steerer tube. Went slow/alternating route, yet still broke allen bolt off (in half, basically).

Question: how do I get the bolt remnant out of the stem? Will it get pushed out the otherside if I thread in a new bolt (think "Play-Doh Fun Factory" or your own GI tract), or will I just make matters worse by getting everything hung up in there? At that point, a new Thomson clamp is only 13-14 bucks, which is cheaper than an extractor system, right? Main issue is time -- If anyone has a quick solution, let me know please so I can finally go ride this thing!!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrex Everything
    Ok, not specific to SS, necessarily, but I've got myself a minor setback while cobbling together a singlespeed out of my old Ibis XtraMojo. Everything was going well until I broke a steerer clamp bolt in my Thomson stem while tightening it down to the steerer tube. Went slow/alternating route, yet still broke allen bolt off (in half, basically).

Question: how do I get the bolt remnant out of the stem? Will it get pushed out the otherside if I thread in a new bolt (think "Play-Doh Fun Factory" or your own GI tract), or will I just make matters worse by getting everything hung up in there? At that point, a new Thomson clamp is only 13-14 bucks, which is cheaper than an extractor system, right? Main issue is time -- If anyone has a quick solution, let me know please so I can finally go ride this thing!!! Thanks.
    Do NOT try to Play-Doh it out. I would buy an extractor. You'll probably get more use out of it in the future.

ballbuster

Yep, use....

... and EZ Out. Basically, if you have a stuck bolt, and not enough meat to turn the stub with vice grips, you use an EZ Out.

You drill a hole in the end of the bolt, stick the EZ Out in there with a t-handle and twist it out.

I never did trust those Thompson clamps. I've seen way too many bolts get stuck or break off in those.

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... and EZ Out. Basically, if you have a stuck bolt, and not enough meat to turn the stub with vice grips, you use an EZ Out.

You drill a hole in the end of the bolt, stick the EZ Out in there with a t-handle and twist it out.

I never did trust those Thompson clamps. I've seen way too many bolts get stuck or break off in those.
    Chances are, when you start to drill the stub part, it will wind itself out. Just to be safe though, pay attention to the angle of the drill. The last thing you want to do is have the bit wander off-centre and drill the aluminum.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    those bolts are very hard to drill out. had to drill one out sometime ago. a regular bit would not do it. had to buy a hardened bit, but do not remember what it was made of.

mtbr member
    i have done that as well. the insert piece on the thompson is really soft aluminum. if you slip with the drill it is fkd. plan on wrecking it. i drilled a hole right beside the offending bolt and worked it loose. then down to my lbs for a new insert (20 bucks)

i always have issues with those two opposng bolts sticking or not tightening correctly. i love there seat posts but am not a fan of there stems

chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmbarace
    i have done that as well. the insert piece on the thompson is really soft aluminum. if you slip with the drill it is fkd. plan on wrecking it. i drilled a hole right beside the offending bolt and worked it loose. then down to my lbs for a new insert (20 bucks)

i always have issues with those two opposng bolts sticking or not tightening correctly. i love there seat posts but am not a fan of there stems

chris
    my knees like the thomson stems

Members who have read this thread: 0