Profile Cranks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Profile Cranks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. Profile Cranks?

I am about to purchase some 190mm profile MTB cranks, bb, and spider. I have heard good things about them and wanted some other opinions. If you don't like them give me a suggestion of what else I can get in 190 that is stiff. I am no weight weenie.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    I am about to purchase some 190mm profile MTB cranks, bb, and spider. I have heard good things about them and wanted some other opinions. If you don't like them give me a suggestion of what else I can get in 190 that is stiff. I am no weight weenie.
    Buy 'em. They work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Cyclist

second the motion

I switched to them a couple months ago. Very, very, very stiff.
    They can be a challenge to install, but once you get them in there it is a very solid set up. I eventually plan to put them on my geared bike this year as well.

I bought the MTB Downhill 182mm Euro BB Profile ( http://www.profileracing.com/ )cranks and BB to replace my RF ISIS 180 Turbines and RF 68/113 Signature bottom bracket. I bought it directly from Profile for $250. I looked for better deals but this seemed the most straight up. Took 10 days from order to doorstep. Given the 3 ISIS BB's I've been through, the price doesn't look that bad.

First impression is they are heavy and very stout. Carolina Pale Ale in hand, I headed for the Shiggy Shack to install. I have decent mechanical skill and generally only bring my bike into the pro's cuz I can't afford the fancy tools (facing disc tabs...). It took me a while to install the BB/Cranks mostly because I've never installed this setup before. Let's say the learning curve was steep and it was trial and error to get proper chainline. Mix in the fact that the directions were completely wrong. They were for true BMX style 3 piece cranks. Directions sat on the workbench while I got a band-aid for my knuckle.

Once I figured out the install of the axle and how to center it up using the supplied crank tool it was a matter of trial and error (washers) to get the desired chain line. No shame in posting that this was the hardest bicycle componenet I've ever installed. By no means let that stop you from getting some. It just means I'm a slow learner with little patience and a propensity for bloody knuckles.

First ride impressions:
    As soon as I rolled down the driveway I knew I made a good choice. Once I got to the top of the first real climb on my local single track last night, I was convinced I made the right choice. These baby's are stiff. They are way stiff. They are super stiff. Did I say stiff? They are also heavy. They are steel and big.

Not a creak, mouse fart or anything from the cranks. It seemed as if I was applying more power to the pedals. I always thought my XTR and RF cranks were pretty stiff, with the XTR being the stiffest of the two. Well, they're noodles compared to these cranks. I'm very pleased with my choice and given how hard I am on components, the extra weight means nothing to me compared to the confidence in my equipment.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    Absolutly buy them. They are soooooo stiff, and bomb proof. I have them on my K-monk. In combination with a King hub, the power is amazing. B.Y.