Problems pulling cleats out.- Mtbr.com
    Masher

Problems pulling cleats out.

Does anyone else have issues with their cleats pulling out of their shoes during a ride? And do you have a solution?

I can't seem to get through a 20 mile day without having to tighten my cleats back on at some point and I have come really close to losing the screws on a couple occasions.

Am I putting an inordinate amoung of pressure or using bad technique when I am pulling so hard on the pedals to get up some of these steep climbs?

I was using Shimano shoes and Eggbeater cleas until recently I got a pair of Sidis and had the same problem with them yesterday.

I greased the bolts when I installed them but I don't want to do anything that won't let me get the cleats out as I go through a set of eggbeater cleats every 2 months or so.

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Wow..I have never had or heard of that problem...I ride on 15yo pearl's...locktite possibly

mtbr member
    I use Shimano SPDs that are eons old. I once had the cleats come off on my a lot during climbs - that's because I had switched pedals from Sarah's bike to mine and her pedals are much looser than mine.

Tightened them, and off I go. I've never used Eggbeaters. A friend of mine uses them as road pedals and doesn't have any issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've never had that problem with eggbeaters on multiple pairs of Sidis and Shimano shoes. I usually put a little anti-seize on the threads and tighten them down good.

mtbr member
    I have never had that problem either, although if I did I suspect I would use some blue Loctite to keep em nice and snug.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Masher
    I'll give the locktite a go.

It does seem like it is better on the Sidis. On the Shimanos I got rid of and the Northwaves before that I would have to tighten them several times during a ride.

In a race situation it could be a disaster though. So annoying.

mtbr member
    Never heard of that either...I'm using Sidi's with some Candy SL's and have had no issues, but I'd say the Loctite is the way to go....or a little less (as in none) of that grease you mentioned you used on em...

mtbr member

tread interference

I had the same issue with some eggbeaters on a new pair of Shimano MO86s. I actually twisted the cleat on the shoe trying to get out. The culprit was the new shoe's tread pattern. I dremeled the tread down in the area of interference and it made all the difference. To the eye it didn't seem like a lot of interference but it sure felt like there was a lot of resistance getting unclipped.
    That and the blue loctite have done the trick for me.
    Cheers,
    M

Members who have read this thread: 0