Problems with Fetich Cycles Frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Problems with Fetich Cycles Frame

Hey everyone, I purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the holidays and started puting it together last week. As i was attempting to install the bottom bracket, i noticed that the threads were clogged and wasn't allowing the bottom bracket to thread properly. I took the frame to my LBS and a friend who works there cleaned the threads for me. As we were installing the BB, the drive side threaded in but the threads were offset causing it to thread in uncentered. This was preventing the non-drive side cup to not even thread in at all. Has anyone had problems like this with these frames and if so, how did you take care of it. Is Fetish good to work with? Or am I just screwed!

Thanks,
    Mcgruff

giddy up!
    Hmmm....sounds like you need to find an experience mechanic and have them chase and face the whole deal...that should clear up any problems you may have.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    Hey everyone, I purchased a fixation single speed frame from e-bay over the holidays and started puting it together last week. As i was attempting to install the bottom bracket, i noticed that the threads were clogged and wasn't allowing the bottom bracket to thread properly. I took the frame to my LBS and a friend who works there cleaned the threads for me. As we were installing the BB, the drive side threaded in but the threads were offset causing it to thread in uncentered. This was preventing the non-drive side cup to not even thread in at all. Has anyone had problems like this with these frames and if so, how did you take care of it. Is Fetish good to work with? Or am I just screwed!

Thanks,
    Mcgruff
    I'd say it's more likely the problem lies with the original installation of a BB in the frame, not the frame itself. If the threads in your shell aren't too thrashed they can be repaired with a tap for the original English threads. If they're too far gone your BB shell can be re-tapped for Italian threads-you'll then need a new BB as well.

Harrumph
    I built up a discipline for "tha Lady" and getting the HS/BB faced/chased is mandatory on the Fetish frames. There was a measurable amount of paint in those parts. Your LBS should be able to do it for ya, if they can't...never go to that shop again.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Retrograde Customs
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ SS FREAK
    Mine went together flawlessly, no chasing and facing and no problems. No regrets on the purchase, and yes they are good guys to deal with. www.fetishcycles.com

AZSSF
    i second that. my discipline went together with no problems.

Kearsarge crawler
    Mine needed to be chased and faced, it's was good to go after that.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

mtbr member

yep, chase and face

I took my discipline into my LBS, they faced the HS, BB and (little to my know-how as I did not request this) chased the BB threads for me as they said there was considerable paint down there.....and it worked great for me after that.
    =--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
    frenzied

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well I got the BB chased and it went together great. But! the entire bike was put together except for the rear brake. I installed the brake (V-brakes) and began dialing it in. I noticed that the left side seat stay is welded off and is so close to the tire the brake will not set up correctly. I haven't called Fetish yet, but that's next on the list. I'm very disapointed in the bike, cool looking frame, but a big disapointment.
    Thanks guys for the feed back,
    Mcgruff

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgruff
    I installed the brake (V-brakes) and began dialing it in. I noticed that the left side seat stay is welded off and is so close to the tire the brake will not set up correctly. Mcgruff
    I have been riding the Fetish Fixation for the month of January for about 150miles. The bike rides great in the mud and snow. A lot of tire clearence, even with 2.25 trailbears. But the problem is the brake bosses are welded alittle to high up the seat stays. With LX v-brakes, I could only move the rear axle a 1/4 inch along the horazonal drops. Called Fetish Cycles about the problem. Their suggestion is to try a different brake set (XT). I tried a XTR and an Avid Ti. This allowed me to move the axle a little more than a half of an inch. It is still a good beater, ride thru mud and guck bike.

banned
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ttvrdik
    I have been riding the Fetish Fixation for the month of January for about 150miles. The bike rides great in the mud and snow. A lot of tire clearence, even with 2.25 trailbears. But the problem is the brake bosses are welded alittle to high up the seat stays. With LX v-brakes, I could only move the rear axle a 1/4 inch along the horazonal drops. Called Fetish Cycles about the problem. Their suggestion is to try a different brake set (XT). I tried a XTR and an Avid Ti. This allowed me to move the axle a little more than a half of an inch. It is still a good beater, ride thru mud and guck bike.
    These bikes should have been disc only in my opinion.

FWIW, I have used both V's and Discs on my Fixation, and have had ZERO problems.