Problem Solvers Press Fit 30 eccentric- Mtbr.com
    breathing helium

Problem Solvers Press Fit 30 eccentric

Problem Solvers E46 - Press Fit 30 Eccentric Adapter

This thing looks promising. Anyone here actually used one? If so, how did it go?

I'm thinking of having a custom Ti frame made up with a PF30 to allow SS & gears. My other option is a standard threaded BB with sliders.
    Last edited by cocheese; 12-31-2011 at 09:52 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
    Problem Solvers E46 - Press Fit 30 Eccentric Adapter

This thing looks promising. Anyone here actually used one? If so, how did it go?

I'm thinking of having a custom Ti frame made up with a PF30 to allow SS & gears. My other option is a standard threaded BB with sliders.

How about BB30 w/ a Beer Components eccentric?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just get some swingers. Then you can run a BB30 crank too. I think it ends up being a neater solution, especially if you're going custom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pretty sure the Beer Components EBB is 5x as expensive as the Problem Solvers. Isn't the Beer Components EBB $175???
    MCH Co-Captain

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erichwic View Post
    Pretty sure the Beer Components EBB is 5x as expensive as the Problem Solvers. Isn't the Beer Components EBB $175???
    5x as expensive? The Beer Components EBB is a little more expensive, but no where even close to 5x. I think the Problem Solvers is $150-ish and the Beer is $165.

The Beer is manufactured/machined in the States (NorCal) and uses Phil Wood bearings and dust caps...not sure about the Problem Solvers.

At the moment, Beer Components only has the BB30 EBB available. But the PF30 EBB is nearly ready...i've been helping test their their PF30 version this season and it is great. Here is a photo of the non-drive side. The drive side is "stepped" to allow certain cranks to clear (so the spider arms of MTB triples and I think some other cranks can clear).

Also, in the pic below you can see that the Beer EBB has that notch in the top portion of it that allows you to insert a lockring removal wrench to easily adjust the EBB...I don't see that notch in the Problem Solvers (unless the photo in their product description just doesn't show it?)

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 01-01-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

beer is good for u
    +1 on the beer BB. Made by a fellow racer/rider/good friend who uses them as well.

I've been running them the last few years now and love the setup.

breathing helium
    I did not realize that Beer would be making a PF30 model. Phil bearings are nice. The $15 is not a big deal to me. I'm more concerned with slippage or creaking. I'm of the "set it and forget it" school, so I'd like the path of least resistance going from gears to SS and back.

What day are we riding?
    Any news on the Beer PF30 availability? Looking at getting an Air9 (can't afford the carbon) to race SS this season.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin View Post
    Any news on the Beer PF30 availability? Looking at getting an Air9 (can't afford the carbon) to race SS this season.
    Drop them a line...was talking with them last week and i think they have 10 or so in stock right now. (the press fit versions).

I've been hammering on mine (on my cross bike) pretty good and it's great....easy to install, no slip, bearings spin smooth and fast, and easy to adjust. I dig it.

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have the problem solvers e46 i think they call it. I used in my Salsa Spearfish as a 1x9 for a bit. I used it to play around with cs length and fit. Worked just great. It will be in my Mamasita next week as ss. I'll keep you posted.

What day are we riding?
    One of the Beer sets is going to be heading my direction shortly.

mtbr member
    I must be in the minority but my Bear Components EBB is creaky as heck. Getting ready to ditch the thing and run a tensioner.

Any suggestions on a tensioner for a vertical dropout frame?

Dirty South Underdog
    Before you ditch it, clean it all up, grease the bolts, and try some of that Oatey pipe joint compound that Niner recommends for their EBB. I used it on mine & it's been silent since.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

NedwannaB

Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
    I have the problem solvers e46 i think they call it. I used in my Salsa Spearfish as a 1x9 for a bit. I used it to play around with cs length and fit. Worked just great. It will be in my Mamasita next week as ss. I'll keep you posted.
    I have a SF with the reg PS PFBB30 for xtr cranks at the moment and kicking around trying a 1x/SS on it. Could you elaborate on how it worked and why not running it anymore?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Before you ditch it, clean it all up, grease the bolts, and try some of that Oatey pipe joint compound that Niner recommends for their EBB. I used it on mine & it's been silent since.
    I will give it a try....

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Me too. I am very curious about this Captain Bob. Let us know how it works out on your Sita. I am looking at getting one of these for my Sita frame. This E46 looks like pretty solid simple component. Also, I would like to know if the E46 creeks (??).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any updates from the guys using this through the early season this year. I am thinking about buying one but would like to avoid spending a couple hundred $ if it is noisy or otherwise disfunctional.

Harrumph
    Rando thread revival.

But I built an SS bike around a PF30 shell / Problem Solvers E46 EBB.

I've only 150ish Mi on it, but I'm pretty happy with it. No slipping, no squeaking.

Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just got one of these and installed it on a Ridley X-night CX bike to run SS. Seems to be working great. Two races on it, no slipping or noise.

mtbr member
    How many folks have had creaking issues with the Problem Solvers E46? How do you make it go away?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Rando thread revival.

But I built an SS bike around a PF30 shell / Problem Solvers E46 EBB.

I've only 150ish Mi on it, but I'm pretty happy with it. No slipping, no squeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    Just got one of these and installed it on a Ridley X-night CX bike to run SS. Seems to be working great. Two races on it, no slipping or noise.
    Just out of curiosity what torque setting did you use for the installation? I believe the Problem Solvers calls for 15 - 18nm on the pinch bolts while the torque spec. on the BEER is only 5 - 8nm (quite a difference). The reason I ask is I installed a BEER PF30 EBB last week and it is slipping a bit (no creaking). Debating on whether to slightly exceed the BEER spec to see if that solve my slipping issue.

Harrumph
    I tossed the torque wrench. Coated everything with Phil tenacious lube or blue locktite as applicable and cranked the bolts down.

I roughed the outside shoulder a bit after facing, so the edges of the BB have something to grab. It's been totally silent for me. Though I've invested in the proper Park cutters to face/chase a BB 30 shell.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Hey... I realise that I'm reanimating a very old thread...hopefully, you'll forgive me.

I have Problem Solvers E46 EBB on a couple of my bikes. As it happens, the bearings in one of them suddenly became 'crunchy' in the midst of a 1000km bikepacking race. Sadly, it ended up killing my race less than 100km from the end.

In any case, has anyone had any experience repacking the bearings or should I get new ones? If I need new ones, can you please tell me which I need to search for? Thanks a bunch!

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed View Post
    Hey... I realise that I'm reanimating a very old thread...hopefully, you'll forgive me.

I have Problem Solvers E46 EBB on a couple of my bikes. As it happens, the bearings in one of them suddenly became 'crunchy' in the midst of a 1000km bikepacking race. Sadly, it ended up killing my race less than 100km from the end.

In any case, has anyone had any experience repacking the bearings or should I get new ones? If I need new ones, can you please tell me which I need to search for? Thanks a bunch!
    I have killed a bearing in mine. It's cheap and easy to replace. I don't remember the size, but it'll be on the seal of the old one if you take the plastic shield off and look at it.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio