Preparing for my first race- Mtbr.com
    A plain old rider

Preparing for my first race

The racing bug has bitten me (or at least I think it has) and I am going to race begginer senior men on Sunday. My wife already races but she has had little advice to give me (she still thinks I am crazy to do it on my SS). I'm racing aginst about 41 gearies, does anyone have any advice, good or bad?
    The greatest gift you ever give is your honest self.

Fred Rogers

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tree
    The racing bug has bitten me (or at least I think it has) and I am going to race begginer senior men on Sunday. My wife already races but she has had little advice to give me (she still thinks I am crazy to do it on my SS). I'm racing aginst about 41 gearies, does anyone have any advice, good or bad?
    First- go out and have fun!
    2nd- make sure there are some good, frosty brews waiting for you after the race.
    3rd- don't make the gearies feel too bad when you fly past them on the climbs!
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A agree

Number 1 should be to have fun at all times.

Racing a single is cool. Everyone will think you are a freak at the start line (except the other folks on singles), and that works to your advantage.

Racing in the SS class is even cooler. Around here (Mid-Atlantic), most of the SS races are the same distance as the expert race. When I race Sport, everyone is always sizing everyone else up. The looks on people's faces are not usually friendly. When there is a SS class, everyone has major respect for each other, regardless of your speed or profficiency. Must be a mutual respect thing. It is kinda cool. Guys spend more time looking at the cool singles than talking trash. High fives and hugs are exchanged. It is like going for a ride with your buds, just everyone is riding really fast and some folks get prizes at the end of the race.

Welcome to the racing bunch. You will have a great time.

Don't forget about the beer a lap rule if you are riding SS though . . . . . . . . .
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Don't forget about the beer a lap rule if you are riding SS though . . . . . . . . .
    Do NOT agree to beer/lap before the start, and then ride right past the beer during the race... NOT cool.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Lighten' up, dude!

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    Do NOT agree to beer/lap before the start, and then ride right past the beer during the race... NOT cool.
    Maybe this attitude is what has gone wrong with racing these days... not enough of a kicked back, "have a good time" attitude. Of course, I personally enjoy the brews after the race (unless it is a freaky SS only event!).

Usually MTB'rs are laid back and roadies are not...
    Based on your screen name, you may need to spend more time with your dirt brothers and sisters.
    Spinning and Grinning...

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Maybe this attitude is what has gone wrong with racing these days... not enough of a kicked back, "have a good time" attitude. Of course, I personally enjoy the brews after the race (unless it is a freaky SS only event!).

Usually MTB'rs are laid back and roadies are not...
    Based on your screen name, you may need to spend more time with your dirt brothers and sisters.

PLEASE, SPARE ME... the point is, don't agree to do something that you have absolutely no intention of doing. True in racing, true in life.

Your msg about attitude is rather ironic.... IMO it is the ones the DON'T beer/lap (esp those that agree to do it before the race and don't) who have lost the "kicked back, 'have a good time' attitude".

Cold. Blue. Steel.

ya' lost me with your "Oxford English"

I don't quite follow your last couple sentences, RGB. Why are we so worried? Go and have a blast, no matter what you choose to do. Just do it with all your heart and a ton of passion, and leave everything else on the race course so you return to the finish line a better human. And your results don't really matter as long as you gave your best and enjoyed doing it. Beer is such a minor detail in the whole sceme of things. I still think you need to lighten up a bit. Come to Asheville and I will take you on some rides that will put the biggest grin on your mug in a long while. And who knows, maybe I'll even buy you a cold one afterwards!! Lol.
    Spinning and Grinning...

"Mr. Britannica"
    I'm not worried at all. But I get it now- you seem to think lying is perfectly fine. Ok, whatever......

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Don't lose the message

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I'm not worried at all. But I get it now- you seem to think lying is perfectly fine. Ok, whatever......
    This is supposed to be about Tree and his racing debut. Go For It, Tree!! Let us know how you do and how much fun it was.

As for RGB, take 69¢ and go buy yourself a sense of humor.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Try to get to the starting line early and near the front of the pack, especially if you start with a climb early on.
    Warm up (maybe by pre-riding the course?).
    Be properly hydrated.
    Don't talk sh:t until after the race.

mtbr member
    whoa...maybe it is time yall stepped away from the beer and sparked up a fatty...

As far as racing tips...go to win...otherwise...why even enter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You have the advantage

of everyone thinking that you're crazy. Even your wife think's you're crazy.
    So do the standard stuff, eat 2hrs or more before the start, stretch and warm-up, hydrate and get as close to the front of the starting line as possible. Make sure that your bike is ok today, before raceday.
    Take advantage of your riding skills and minimize your losses on what you're not good at. When you pass gearies climbing in their grannies, you'll look like superman and they'll be demoralized until it gets level again. If you're good in singletrack, turn it on and fly.

I'm guessing that you might be in a beginner or citizen class so most everyone has the same level of experience as you, except for the sandbaggers.

Have a good race.