mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Powder coating question...

What's the deal with custom powder coat finishes? There's clearly a lot of talk here on the boards about the process. But in google searches it's almost impossible to find info on companies/shops that do it. To anyone who's powder coated an old, second/third/fourth hand steel frame, did you do it yourself or have it done professionally?

If you did it yourself, how?

If you got it done professionally, where? (I'm in VA and was trying to find anyone in state...)

Moderator Moderator

Check your phone book

Powdercoating operations are old-school, industrial kinds of places. Most of them don't have websites or know anything about the web, so you'll have to dig out an actual (gasp!) phone book. Any decent sized city (100k+) will have at least a couple of PC places, generally speaking.

DIY is highly not recommended for PC - I can't imagine how you could do a decent job if you didn't already have some serious sandblast/spray/bake equipment.

-Walt

SS Chimp

Spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by homestar
    What's the deal with custom powder coat finishes? There's clearly a lot of talk here on the boards about the process. But in google searches it's almost impossible to find info on companies/shops that do it. To anyone who's powder coated an old, second/third/fourth hand steel frame, did you do it yourself or have it done professionally?

If you got it done professionally, where? (I'm in VA and was trying to find anyone in state...)
    www.spectrumpowderworks.com is the one stop shop.....i have had some frames done by other local powder coat places and for a few extra $$$ you can get a tits paint job and get exactly what you want

Here is a link to some more pics of a spectrum job
    all single...all the time

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by homestar
    To anyone who's powder coated an old, second/third/fourth hand steel frame, did you do it yourself or have it done professionally?

You can't do it yourself. It requires special equipment. And is strictly regulated by the EPA. http://www.finishing.com/Library/pennisi/powder.html

Not sure why you can't find anyone local to do it. It's a rather common practice.
    powder coating virginia

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Powdercoating operations are old-school, industrial kinds of places. Most of them don't have websites or know anything about the web,
    Seriously.... Not really. Powdercoating is rather modern. Wet paint is old school. Powder coating is new school.
    Many have websites. I can find thousands.

34N 118W

auto, patio, etc.

Lots of PC work done for auto parts and patio furniture. Maybe use that as search criteria.

It ain't gonna happen DIY.

locked - time out
    Check with the local Auto bumper store - there's a place here in Denver that will do a bike frame for $65, As evidenced by the price, you might not get the same quality or have as many options as in a bonafide PC place, but it's a good alternative for the price conscious.

Also, I've got a friend who's had more than a few bad experiences with Spectrum's lack of prep work rusting frames from beneath the coat. - FYI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    www.spicercycles.com has a pretty good deal going.

I bought a frame from Tom Teesdale and had him take care of powder coating. It came out butt ugly with lots of lumps all over it. It is a geared frame that has seen no usage in over a year, maybe it was never meant to be for me?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!