Post your Curtlos & Vultures...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Post your Curtlos & Vultures...

...looking to get a somewhat burlier steel SS made up for me - EBB, disc specific, 4" travel fork, etc.

Really boiled down to these two builders. Any other good builders (Spicer) that folks would recommend much appreciated.

Rolling on an Inbred right now but feel like my clyde carcass and not-so-smooth stylings might do 'er in.

TIA,

Sean
    Professional Amateur

34N 118W

this ol' thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    ...looking to get a somewhat burlier steel SS made up for me - EBB, disc specific, 4" travel fork, etc.
    Sean
    see Vulture thread from below
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=10128

More Vulture and Curtlo in the Custom Builders forum. Either one will work with you to get what you need, and you'll have a one-of-a-kind ride!

so far, this rigid pink thang is rockin' my world, girlfriend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Portable curmudgeon

Inbred vs Curtlo and Vulture

Rolling on an Inbred right now but feel like my clyde carcass and not-so-smooth stylings might do 'er in.
    Hey Soup, the Inbred frame/fork are on my short list for a steel SS to replace my Kona Kaboom if its aluminum frame/P2 ever give up the ghost. Sorry to see another Clyde thinking the Inbred could be done in (well, nothing lives forever, but...).

What's the problem with the On-One, anyway? Are you just expecting it to break or is it noodly or something? I love the ride of steel but lateral flex and top tube twist have been issues for me in the past. I now ride aluminum frames by default. If I were to go back to steel, I'd need a little more resistance to side-to-side flex. I don't need something that's jump bike strong, but I'd like my wheels to stay in plane during standing climbs and rough corners.

I'm 275ish, 6'3" (say 225-250 when the time comes) - would the 20" Inbred not be a good choice? The next level up from the Inbred seem to be the more-affordable customs: Curtlo or Vulture look good to me. Is this how you arrived with those manufacturers, too? Thanks for any ideas.

Now, to whom did this Vulture double top tube monster belong? Looks like the perfect ride to me. Was it ever built up? Pix? Maybe I'll check the custom forum.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Methinks Padre

yup yup. My wife's diminutive Curtlo, about 5 or 6 years old:

EDIT: OOPS! Not Padre's.
    Last edited by Drevil; 03-11-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Contrarian
    I've only ever seen a couple of broken Inbred frames (out of hundreds I'm aware of) and in both cases the cause was rider error. I'm 215lb and I don't take it easy on mine and it's been going strong for two years now.

What kind of stuff are you doing that you think is going to break it?

(Just to clarify - that's hundreds of frames that aren't broken that I'm aware of
    Last edited by AndyArmstrong; 03-11-2004 at 05:21 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    Now, to whom did this Vulture double top tube monster belong? Looks like the perfect ride to me. Was it ever built up? Pix? Maybe I'll check the custom forum.
    Not me. I don't mess around w/ those childish 26" wheels anymore on my SS's. I remember speaking to Wade about this build. The rider was, I believe, if memory serves, in the 300lb range.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

... and if we just ... more to the point...

what are you doing on an RFX riding lebanon hills?

that's a good one!

chris<-- formerly of st. paul, mn.

don't try this at home
    after 3 years to the week, I still look forward to riding my bike. i liked it so much i got another for the road. here's the original mtb and the new-ish roadie.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out spokin'

This ol' thang?

You've picked two awesome SS builders. I'm sure you'll be happy with the bike you get from either one. I'm sure if I owned a Curtlo, I'd be singing its praises. But I don't. I own a Vulture, and I can tell you that nothing makes me feel faster, stronger or more in love with cycling than this bike.

Good luck. Given the choices you've made up to this point, it looks like you can't make a mistake.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004

I've been on a geared Curtlo since '98...

...and it is still the best bike that I have ever ridden. I hope to get a SS Curtlo when finances allow.

--Vlad

gentle like

look at those cranks, sparty!

i mean, i knew from your posts you run 'em long, but to actually see them is another thing, eh?

looks good, my friend, looks good.

banned

yeah, and those mega-short chainstays

hey Sparty, what length CS did Wade put on that Vulture of yours? they look like 16.25 or 16.00

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    yup yup. My wife's diminutive Curtlo, about 5 or 6 years old:

EDIT: OOPS! Not Padre's.
    That looks really interesting, do you have more pictures? I can't quite tell what's going on with the top tube. How tall is your wife? How does she like it?

Sorry about all the questions but something like that looks really promising for my wife as well (5'0"). It's really hard finding something with adequate standover.

Thanks.

Out spokin'
    Chainstays are 15.75" when the eccentric is in the middle of the EBB.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    hey Sparty, what length CS did Wade put on that Vulture of yours? they look like 16.25 or 16.00
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

Going up and down them...

...I broke an Ellsworth and vowed never to have a frame fail underneath me again. Sure, the RFX is likely overkill for my local trails but I don't mind riding a 35# bike around so why should you? I have no problem keeping up with more svelte lads on strictly XC machines and I never worry about my bike breaking (knock on wood). Plus, it is a riot to take out West.

Think of it as a heavy duty 5 Spot but I can run it in 6" with a DC fork if I desire.

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    what are you doing on an RFX riding lebanon hills?

that's a good one!

chris<-- formerly of st. paul, mn.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member

Just to be clear...

...I don't sense the Inbred is going to catastrophically fail on me. I'm just a big guy and it flexes like a mofo underneath me.

On the one hand is has a very lively, snappy feel - but some amount of power is being wasted side to side vs. a the straightforwardness that a stiff Al frame like a Chameleon provides.

I like the bike and the company - just exploring alternatives. If I could getting something reasonably priced - in steel - that was more stout in the stiffness category vs. the Inbred I would.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the Inbred - set up rigid with semi-slix for road riding at the moment.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by AndyArmstrong
    I've only ever seen a couple of broken Inbred frames (out of hundreds I'm aware of) and in both cases the cause was rider error. I'm 215lb and I don't take it easy on mine and it's been going strong for two years now.

What kind of stuff are you doing that you think is going to break it?

(Just to clarify - that's hundreds of frames that aren't broken that I'm aware of
    Professional Amateur