Possible to do away with mech hanger?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Possible to do away with mech hanger?

Just a curious question. My beloved SS got stolen by some scum of a bike thief Having plans for my next budget(me being a student) build, picked up an old hasa frame with the intention of strippimg its paint and leaving its raw aluminium to be complemented with other silver componentry.

To cut it short, it has a missing mech hanger. Still, since with plans of using a Blank halflink chain to achieve perfect tension(my standard chain was only little of having perfect tension with a 32-18 ratio) , i was wondering whether a hanger would even be necessary?

Just an innocent query.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    it would be when your chain starts to develop slack and you nees to add a tensioner.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    ENO ecc ?
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    the eno hub is an option if he decides to build up the wheel . but from my expirence with a half link , the chain has gained slack , i hesitate to try a half link chain because they are so expensive(for a 3/32 chain)

mtbr member
    Using a half-link chain doesn't mean that you'll be able to achieve "perfect chain tension" anyway - the adjustment is too coarse for that. It's equivalent to moving the wheel backwards or forwards a quarter of an inch, nothing in between.

If you want to try this why use a half-link chain? Just buy a link-and-a-half and fit it with two master links.

ENO hub or Forward Components BB is the way to go though - all this "magic gear" stuff relies on luck too much for it to be a real choice . I don't think that luck belongs in a single speed drivetrain.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy R
    Using a half-link chain doesn't mean that you'll be able to achieve "perfect chain tension" anyway - the adjustment is too coarse for that. It's equivalent to moving the wheel backwards or forwards a quarter of an inch, nothing in between.

If you want to try this why use a half-link chain? Just buy a link-and-a-half and fit it with two master links.

ENO hub or Forward Components BB is the way to go though - all this "magic gear" stuff relies on luck too much for it to be a real choice . I don't think that luck belongs in a single speed drivetrain.
    Of course that's what i was hinting at , they are to expensive to leave it up to chance , that you could get it but its not always certain. Ive tried so many different methods of achieving perfect chain tension that i always end up slapping on my ole trusty surly tensioner because i cant do it .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A der. hanger is $15-20 off the internet.
    --Just get one.--
    Without the der. hanger the drive side drop out will be half the thickness it is supposed to be and therefore weak. Not recommended. As far as magic gear and half link chains and Eno hubs, worry about that later.
    no chain no gain.

Out spokin'
    If there's clearance inboard of your driveside chainstay, you could use a ghost ring. Worn rings work just fine for this; you can get them free at your LBS in the recycle bin.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    What i meant was whether a mech hanger was important. I know there are ways to do without a tensioner, but is it OK to forgo the derailleur hanger itself? The dropout may be half as thick, but since it has no derailleur to crash, the dropout without the hanger wouldnt get into much harm in xc riding?

Thanks for all the replies though. Love this forum.

Out spokin'
    You didn't mention that your dropout was half thickness w/o the hanger. No, I wouldn't do that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

one chain loop
    pictures?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Good news guys. Someone who stole my bike actually tried to sell the frame(Commencal Combi 06 hardtail). The buyer spotted that it was my stolen bike's frame, and thus set a bait the next day and confronted the fella. Buyer got his money back and my frame, is at a friend's house now.

Still, even though now I need not do away with a mech hanger, the question of half-links still exists. Even is a "perfect chain tension" is very fortunately achieved, would chain stretch over time render the possibility of such a chain tension again?

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    it would be when your chain starts to develop slack and you nees to add a tensioner.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but......

I have seen this statement before and if you beleive conventional standards of when a chain is to be considered WORN to the point of no longer being servicable, then the point at which a chain that was properly tensioned when new is so slack that it would require a tensioner, it should be REPLACED.

Of course the conditions one rides in and the care that one takes to keep a chain clean and lubricated will most greatly affect it's lifespan and running a worn chain will greatly reduce the life span of the rings and cogs.

If you look at it the right way, compared to a GEARED bike, a single speed has the added bonus of having an ability to TELL YOU when a chain needs replacement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What are the chances...

of you actually trashing the hanger and tensioner? Low IMO.....especially if you run the tensioner pushing up.

Over the last ten years I've tried every "new" option for tensioning a chain. horizontal dropouts, sliding drop outs, and EBB.... And each has their flaws, and those flaws are no more or less than just using a nice tensioner...my preference being Rennen and Soul Craft.

I've ridden two different 29er frames over the last 3 + years and I've opted for standard geared frames and ran the same Rennen tensioner with no issues....

Don't be afraid of having a lil doohickie hanging off the back....if it keeps you pedaling and smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    What i meant was whether a mech hanger was important. I know there are ways to do without a tensioner, but is it OK to forgo the derailleur hanger itself? The dropout may be half as thick, but since it has no derailleur to crash, the dropout without the hanger wouldnt get into much harm in xc riding?

Thanks for all the replies though. Love this forum.
    Happy new year..Stuff $: Eno 29wheel (non disc), Yakima, 2 steelheads, with towers for Volvo luggage rails.

one chain loop
    all my conversions with vertical dropouts used itsdoable's POOR PERSON'S ENO.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Members who have read this thread: 0