Poll: Karate Monkey or Cross Check- Mtbr.com

Poll: Monkey or Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Poll: Karate Monkey or Cross Check

Hey
    So I have a Monkey and a Cross Check, but I can only keep one. I'm looking for some input to help me decide.

If you were a clydesdale like me, which bike would you choose to keep, based upon versatility? Which would be best able to be a Commuter, monster cross, flat-bar, drop bar, single speed, gearie etc. All while taking the abuse of being ridden by a plus-sized man.

Thanks,
    Winky

indigosky
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    Hey
    So I have a Monkey and a Cross Check, but I can only keep one. I'm looking for some input to help me decide.

If you were a clydesdale like me, which bike would you choose to keep, based upon versatility? Which would be best able to be a Commuter, monster cross, flat-bar, drop bar, single speed, gearie etc. All while taking the abuse of being ridden by a plus-sized man.

Thanks,
    Winky
    Being able to run disc brakes seals the deal for me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Be a bad day if I ever had to give up my mountain bike. The very little you'll lose on the road/commute riding is more than made up for by having a proper mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Personally I'd choose the Cross-Check simply because you can use both 26" and 29" (700c) wheels. The Karate Monkey will fit 26" but it looks funny. Plus, get bit by the CX bug like I did and the CrossCheck is perfect for that.

Hell, work overtime and keep them both!!!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How would you use 26 inch wheels on a crosscheck?

For me it would depend on how much road I was doing. 90% road and 10% trails, I would lean towards the crosscheck. But if you plan on doing any "real" mountain biking, especially with others, the cross bike will be a chore and a half (been there).

is buachail foighneach me
    So, basically the OP is asking: What's going to be more versatile, a really versatile bike that can be set up as pretty much anything but a unicycle(KM), or a less versatile bike(CC)?

If you don't want to ride a mtb, keep the cross check. If you want to ride everything, keep the KM... The Karate Monkey can do everything the Cross Check can do and then some. It won't be as good at cx or touring, but it will be more than good enough for recreational stuff. The Cross Check will never be able to be a mtb for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    How would you use 26 inch wheels on a crosscheck?

For me it would depend on how much road I was doing. 90% road and 10% trails, I would lean towards the crosscheck. But if you plan on doing any "real" mountain biking, especially with others, the cross bike will be a chore and a half (been there).
    +1, the cross check is rim brake only...would take some real creativity to run it with 26" wheels. Furthermore, why would you put 26" wheels on a bike designed for 29" wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

More info

Here is some more information, we'll see if this changes anything.

I already have a rigid 29er SS MTB (one of those Bike Island No-Name Frames). I also have a geared dualie.

Having said that, I really love the Monkey and have a lot of good memories on it. It is really versatile (as discussed above) and very duriable. It would be a capable commuter but a little heavy. The only real down side to keeping the Monkey is that I pay a weight penalty and loose the option to have a "road" bike.

The cross-check has the bonus of being lighter and is more of a road bike (I don't have a road bike, but don't really like them that much). It is lighter and I have a nice carbon fork for it. It would make a lighter and faster commuter. My concerns with the CC are the ride. I don't like drop bars, and I am not a roadie. I have had the bike for a few years and I'm still messing with the fit. I've had road bars, dirt drops, flat bars and a myriad of stems and it's still not comfortable. The KM on the other hand was very comfortable right from the start! The other thing is that I have pulled the rear wheel out of the forward facing dropouts on more than one occasion, which is very disconcerting. I have to keep the skewer so tight that I nearly need a breaker bar to get it loose.

I'm really leaning toward the KM. I guess after reading the above I might just keep the Monkey, so what if I don't have a road bike. I'm not a roadie, nor will I ever be.

Thanks, and thanks for listening to my rambling
    Winky

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    Here is some more information, we'll see if this changes anything.

I already have a rigid 29er SS MTB (one of those Bike Island No-Name Frames). I also have a geared dualie.

Having said that, I really love the Monkey and have a lot of good memories on it. It is really versatile (as discussed above) and very duriable. It would be a capable commuter but a little heavy. The only real down side to keeping the Monkey is that I pay a weight penalty and loose the option to have a "road" bike.

The cross-check has the bonus of being lighter and is more of a road bike (I don't have a road bike, but don't really like them that much). It is lighter and I have a nice carbon fork for it. It would make a lighter and faster commuter. My concerns with the CC are the ride. I don't like drop bars, and I am not a roadie. I have had the bike for a few years and I'm still messing with the fit. I've had road bars, dirt drops, flat bars and a myriad of stems and it's still not comfortable. The KM on the other hand was very comfortable right from the start! The other thing is that I have pulled the rear wheel out of the forward facing dropouts on more than one occasion, which is very disconcerting. I have to keep the skewer so tight that I nearly need a breaker bar to get it loose.

I'm really leaning toward the KM. I guess after reading the above I might just keep the Monkey, so what if I don't have a road bike. I'm not a roadie, nor will I ever be.

Thanks, and thanks for listening to my rambling
    Winky

I think you just answered your question.

If it were me, I'd sell the no name 29er instead. Maybe the FS geared bike too, but from what you just said there is no reason to have the cross check.

Members who have read this thread: 0