Poll: How many of you are the only SSer in your group of riding buddies??- Mtbr.com
    Not because I'm fast.....

Poll: How many of you are the only SSer in your group of riding buddies??

I am the only one in my group that rides SS. Just curious to know about everyone else?

Account Retired

Used to be

4 years ago I was the only one and then the numbers grew and then we started to seek one another out and now everybody seems to be buying or building one. It's a Phee-nah-me-nahn.

Where the he11 is my signature totem?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

You need better buddies!

Luckly I was able to hookup with some forward thinking riders awhile ago.In a my group of local regulars, 3 or 4 of us swing between gears and not.I think its fun to mix things up with guys you know. But its tough to SS around geared riders that you are not familar with.

mtbr member

They all think...

I'm nuts. My normal riding group are all on full suspension, disc brake rigs. My local trails are actually pretty good for SS. Last year I totally switched to SS for all rides. Before our first epic ride of the year the guys were begging me to put the gears back on, sure I couldn't keep up and would be a liability. After I led the 25 mile ride on my SS full rigid they decided not to worry about me anymore!

I've tried to convert some of the group, even got one of them to ride a 10 mile ride without shifting. My buddy kinda "got it" during that ride, but decided that SS is just to hard on his back. He has some serious back issues so I can't blame him for not making the switch.

MC

KgB
    SNGLSPD

SS pride

I don't like SS'ing with gearies,timing is all off.I prefer riding my geared,slow bike on those occasions.
    I think part of the problem is SS pride that a lot of us have when we are on our singles.
    I've been inside too long.

blame me for missed rides
    yep the only one.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

only one who rides SS regularly

Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I am the only one in my group that rides SS. Just curious to know about everyone else?
    I built up my first SS in 2001 and was the only one in my regular riding group to SS until last year, when three other guys built up SS'es. However, two of them rode theirs once and then broke them (and didn't repair them) and the other guy only rides his SS when his gearie is in the shop. I know 3 other guys who SS regularly and well, but unfortunately, I can't seem to get a ride scheduled with them.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 03-11-2004 at 12:04 AM. Reason: f*$k up

Master of the Obvious

yep lakeraven is right... as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    4 years ago I was the only one and then the numbers grew and then we started to seek one another out and now everybody seems to be buying or building one. It's a Phee-nah-me-nahn.
    Yep the group that I used to primarily rode with, were getting more techie then I cared for, slumming to them was riding last years trek fuel 100, I was going in the opposite direction I nstead of Carbon Susser' I went Rigid SS And found MTB nirvana, Then I met LakeRaven and the Tribe of the grover, and the rest as they say is History, It does seem that we SSer's do seek out our kind. and besides the more rider's in your posse the more gnomes you can catch!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    In 1999 I was the only one. Now many rides are all SSers or just a couple of gearies and I am riding with the same people.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

a Homer in training
    There are some other SS-ers around here now (the movement finally hit our club here in Georgia), but in the group that I ride with I'm the only one left. Others tried it and went back. I don't really have a problem riding with friends on geared bikes...I holler at them to move over on the climbs and they holler at me to move over on the flats...in the end its all good.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Pretty much the only one amongst my regular buddies. They all probably have an SS and ride it occasionally, but shy away from riding it at a fast-paced group ride where the fastest riders are very fast.

It seems to work okay around here - few climbs long enough that there is a mismatch between the bikes, though I'm not as fast on the descents as the FS disc-braked riders.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When I ride regularly (nice weather, unbroken bike) I'm the only one. But my schedule is so whack its hard to find anyone to ride with period. I know another local SSer or two, but they both smoke me and I wind up riding alone anyway. I still have fun though.

Peace,

Patrick

"Mr. Britannica"

often

depends on what group though. One group is sometimes all SSers.

I am the owl
    Less gearies than SSers on any given ride. Almost all have been assimilated.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

paintbucket

100% Ss

Because I am a group of one (and we all know one is all you need).
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The only SSer...

Yeah, I'm the only one. Been at it since 2000 and haven't been able to convert any of my regular group.

There is a big group of active SSers in my area (Drevil, RiderX, and them). I'm just so lame, I haven't managed to catch but a ride or two with some of them. Maybe this season.........
    Porrick

mtbr member

... and if we just ... representin'

sometimes i'm the only one on the SS, but lately that has been changing. on last night's ride one bud was riding his converted bontrager (while his broken ellsworth gathers dust) and another was trying his best to enjoy his new blur, not quite understanding how it is possible to go so fast up AND downhill single and fully rigid! do you see the light?...

i dispatched with the geared mtb's some time ago so now every off-road ride is a SS ride. i've yet to find one that doesn't qualify as a good one.
    eddie would go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... 2 years ago I was the only one, now...

Now, my girlfriend SSue prefers to ride her converted SS that I made for her, then took apart and gave to her to put back together, she loved that! She rides 34:18 and I prefer 34:19or20, go figure! She led the gals group at Harmonica Divergence this year, they had a blast!
    Recently my bud Joel bought a Bianchi SISS and loves riding it, but it took years of friendly abuse for him to finally break down and try it. He led the fast group at Harmonic Perversions this year on his SISS.
    We have a fella that rides his trials bike on the trails with us from time to time, geared something like 22:18, does fine aslong as we don't go fast.
    I'm working on some other local riders, even have a spare SS, 13.5" frame for a petite person to ride.
    My Jekyll is the loaner bike, good for setting the mountain bike hook deep.

I rode a fair amount of fixed gear trails last year, had a great time, but MAN, that is a workout! Far as I know, I'm the only one to ride fixed in the forest around here.

bike ON

bob

34N 118W

solo en la noche

I'm the only regular SS'er in our night rides group, although one guy just ordered an IF ss frame and another has a rigid SS that's he's too scared to ride otherwise all are geared. Our night pace is pretty mellow, so we usually stay grouped together.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Four total SS riders in my area, second place all SS team at the 24hrs of the Old Pueblo! Only singlespeeder in the sport class in my local race series! 4th place in pts. after four races!

Birdman aka JMJ

I guess I'm the only one

I don't really ride with anyone other than my wife and a few friends and fellow TM group members. I dunno, I just don't dig group rides, I guess.

The only other SSers I've met and ridden with are RedHaze (when my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Moab, May 2002), and a guy named Ben in our TM group.

JMJ

jrm
    mtbr member

Lots...and they all kick my a$s

good bunch though.

highly visible

Yep, the only one here

The group of 8 I was riding with tonight all had gears but me. Most had full suspension, which to me is absurd for the easy trails we were on. I have no trouble keeping up, especially on the (moderate) climbs where I'm always pushing to get around and maintain my mo'.

Ran into a couple other groups tonight, all of whom also had gears.

Needless to say I'm the only 29"er rider out there too. I know the shops in town sell a decent number of 29"ers but I've only run into one on the trail once.

A couple weeks ago this guy looked at my bike and said, "wait a minute ... let me take a look at this thing. You're riding a no-suspension, 29 inch, singlespeed mountain bike. Dude, that is Out There!" Yep, in Portland I'm pretty much in my own world when it comes to my choice of bikes.

mtbr member

There's one other...

I was the first in my Wed. night group to go SS. Now there's one other guy that sometimes rides his SS. I haven't been out there since my lights quit working several months ago though.

Still ride with that group occasionally on weekends, still no other SSers, other than that one guy though.

I miss my Wed. night rides. Ordered some NiMh battery cells yesterday to do a DIY battery rebuild. Hopefully I'll be back out there soon hammering the SS on Wed. nights.

-Trevor

KRN
    mtbr member

Group????

Group???? what group??? I ride all bymyself no one loves me hell likes me for I'm alllllllll alone & noones here beside me (sing it donkey!) no I just bought a SS & dont know that many people here yet.... OK thats BS no here likes me!

ali'i hua
    i think my groups (when im on my %*#$ing bikes) are mostly SSers...then again, i guess my regualr group are people like all of the other socal ss freaks on/around/lurking on this board.

No relation

I ride with imaginary friends.

Etienne, Bubu, Babette and Walph.
    They ride whatever my imagination tells them to ride, which is sometimes SS, sometimes shopping carts, often camels.
    Of the non imaginary, flesh and blood riding companions of late, none have turned up for a ride on a single speed, but one claims to have made one.
    Also, I'm getting a pony for mother's day.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.