View Poll Results: If given a choice how do you tend to adjust your bikes EBB?

Voters
36. This poll is closed
  • Above the 3 o’clock / 9 o’clock position for a higher BB

    19 52.78%
  • Below the 3 o’clock / 9 o’clock position for a lower BB

    7 19.44%
  • Never really thought about it, I just tension and ride.

    10 27.78%
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Reputation: Endomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,435

    New question here. A poll for all you EBB users

    A poll for all you EBB users,

    If given a choice how do you tend to adjust your bikes EBB:

    Above the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock position for a higher BB

    Below the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock position for a lower BB

    Never really thought about it, I just tension and ride.

    I have found that I can use different gear combos to get the same gear inches but one combination puts my ebb forward (longer effective chainstays) and another combination puts my EBB back (shorter effective chainstays). If given the choice I usually go with the rotated back (shorter effective chainstays) and up for a higher bb. I know differences are minute but when all you have is 1 gear drivetrain you have to fret over something.
    Last edited by Endomaniac; 05-26-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: to get rid of ’ instead of '

  2. #2
    Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Reputation: OneGearGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,709

    up higher...

    I tend to go up higher to have less chances for pedal strikes. I have heard this can be more of a problem on 29ers, esp when running longer cranks like the 180's I am using.
    I may try it in the lower position just to feel what the differences are in handling, etc.


    GG
    Spinning and Grinning...

  3. #3
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    its definitely crossed my mind, to adjust the ebb to be higher to prevent pedal strikes or lower for some other reason. but thats about it- Im a "tension, forget about it, ride" type.

    as a side note, I was having issues with my old ebb and have had zero complaints with the newer type bushnell with the larger bolt. now, a happy user!

  4. #4
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Good job! Bushy!

    Hey Slow,

    Isn't the "new" Bushnell sweeeet? I'm loving mine over the older style, although just yesterday had to add a "beer can shim" to stop it from creaking. Rode a few hours today in total silence....!!

    It is a bit undersized on my Ti frame, as opposed to the older one, which fit very tightly.



    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    its definitely crossed my mind, to adjust the ebb to be higher to prevent pedal strikes or lower for some other reason. but thats about it- Im a "tension, forget about it, ride" type.

    as a side note, I was having issues with my old ebb and have had zero complaints with the newer type bushnell with the larger bolt. now, a happy user!

  5. #5
    mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Reputation: quaffimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    A poll for all you EBB users,

    If given a choice how do you tend to adjust your bikes EBB:

    Above the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock position for a higher BB

    Below the 3 o'clock / 9 o'clock position for a lower BB

    Never really thought about it, I just tension and ride.

    I have found that I can use different gear combos to get the same gear inches but one combination puts my ebb forward (longer effective chainstays) and another combination puts my EBB back (shorter effective chainstays). If given the choice I usually go with the rotated back (shorter effective chainstays) and up for a higher bb. I know differences are minute but when all you have is 1 gear drivetrain you have to fret over something.
    I'm also more concerned with fore and aft than up and down. I'm running pretty long cranks, so the aft quadrant works best for me.

  6. #6
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,262

    The poll is flawed

    Sorry to point this out but the poll is flawed, inasmuch as there is no reference point to establish standard BB height. Here's an example of what I mean: I run my EBB in the "below" position but since my Vulture's BB height is around 14", my "below" is significantly higher than many who run their's "above."

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  7. #7
    Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Reputation: Endomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,435
    Should I add a disclaimer: 'This poll excludes the half dozed weirdoes in the world with 250mm crank arms and free-ride high bottom brackets"

  8. #8
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Hey Slow,

    Isn't the "new" Bushnell sweeeet? I'm loving mine over the older style, although just yesterday had to add a "beer can shim" to stop it from creaking. Rode a few hours today in total silence....!!

    It is a bit undersized on my Ti frame, as opposed to the older one, which fit very tightly.

    to top it off, its on my sofa king! (we have rare frames, man!)

    i think you might have helped me discover my bottom bracket creak- its loud enough on my bike that a bell or chris king hub arent needed for noise.

  9. #9
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,019

    EBB position

    I put mine as low as possible not for less pedal clearance, but to have as little seatpost exposed as possible. I bought a 17" frame because it had the right TT length, but the 350 mm seatpost has to be extended past the limit mark to give me enough leg extension. I need to order a 400 mm post, but have yet to do so.

  10. #10
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Should I add a disclaimer: 'This poll excludes the half dozed weirdoes in the world with 250mm crank arms and free-ride high bottom brackets"
    Oops, didn't mean to sound like I was comin' at ya by saying your poll is flawed, bro. Honest. Maybe I shoulda taken a different tack... like asking for a 4th poll option: "I'm a weirdo with a wacky frame and an abnormally large crank, therefore I'm exempt from this poll."

    Love ya!

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  11. #11
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    (snip) I'm a weirdo with a wacky frame and an abnormally large crank....
    keep things like this to yourself- isnt this site PG-13?

  12. #12
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,262
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    keep things like this to yourself- isnt this site PG-13?
    Guess I shoulda said "long" instead of "large."

    --Sparty

    P.S. See you in October, Ethan.
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  13. #13
    King Pin
    Reputation: xrmattaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,247

    Good job! aluminium

    A nicely greased 3"X2" or so section of beer can on the side opposite the bolt made mine absolutely silent! Slid right in there too....less tightening on the bolt as well.

    Two hour ride today, not a peep.




    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    to top it off, its on my sofa king! (we have rare frames, man!)

    i think you might have helped me discover my bottom bracket creak- its loud enough on my bike that a bell or chris king hub arent needed for noise.

  14. #14
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    A nicely greased 3"X2" or so section of beer can on the side opposite the bolt made mine absolutely silent! Slid right in there too....less tightening on the bolt as well.

    Two hour ride today, not a peep.
    hmm. will look into that. only because its still creaking and I know the isis spline and pedal threads are all greased nicely. maybe I'll check with a feeler gauge to see what can (double entendre?) fit in there.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Guess I shoulda said "long" instead of "large."

    --Sparty

    P.S. See you in October, Ethan.
    Davey:

    yes- im sorry, but you will see me in october! inked on the callendar NOW!

    ps- is it bad if i'm already debating what ride to bring?

  15. #15
    Cracker-magnon
    Reputation: gpsser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,149
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    Davey:

    yes- im sorry, but you will see me in october! inked on the callendar NOW!

    ps- is it bad if i'm already debating what ride to bring?
    Sweet, I have the work calendar inked in also... Hey Barbie, Ken's coming to see ya
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: itsdoable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,902
    It depends on the BB-shell height, I have it up on 2 and down on one.

  17. #17
    ali'i hua
    Reputation: SlowSSer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Sweet, I have the work calendar inked in also... Hey Barbie, Ken's coming to see ya
    nice! It'll be good to have some other californians join us. I think I was it last year.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,848
    I origanaly ran mine in the lower position when running 175mm cranks, mainly for a lower center of gravity. But since I switched to 180mm cranks, I rotated to the upper position to reduce pedal strikes. I have also determined that ratcheting the cranks is a VERY useful skill on a singlespeed in rock gardens.

Similar Threads

  1. My first fall
    By JRUSHE in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2005, 05:08 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 09:03 AM
  3. Bushnell EBB Wedge Bolt Torque?
    By JimN in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 04:08 PM
  4. Wheel Removal with EBB
    By hp14 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 09:45 PM
  5. EBB help...
    By DSR in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 12:17 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.