The Point of Bashrings?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

The Point of Bashrings?

Is there function of a bashring on a SS other than preventing the chainring teeth from getting bent? I ses them on everyones single speed and just can not figure out why people put them on. Can anyone enlighten me?

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by ricer
    Is there function of a bashring on a SS other than preventing the chainring teeth from getting bent? I ses them on everyones single speed and just can not figure out why people put them on. Can anyone enlighten me?

they are used when you don't want to or can't get shorter chainring bolts

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I do not use one.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

(was) Big in Japan
    Not only the teeth on the chainring they protect, but the chain too. You could get stuck walking if you mangle your chain on something big and heavy. Also keep your trousers cleaner on pub/shopping runs. Some people think they look tidier.

I don't run one on my SS either. No big logs or rocks around here to hit, and I have other pub bikes. Wait a minute, they don't have one either!
    Ride.

no fat chicks
    did you inquire with the people that were using the parts in question
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So I am hearing that on a SS they are more about asthetic than function? Not at all saying that is a bad thing by the way.

Reviewer/Tester
    I used to use one on my SS'er but took it off because I found that I wasn't bashing the chainwheel, only the pedals and crankarms.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Am I getting too bulky?

... and if we just ...

So I am hearing that on a SS they are more about asthetic than function? Not at all saying that is a bad thing by the way.
    I'm not gonna say I don't like the way my bashring looks, because I think it looks cool, but I'm not exactly a finesse rider, and I really don't get airborn a whole lot either. Not that I bash into and over obstacles like a nubie, but I do pretty much ride over all the obstacles I encounter. Yeah, that's right, I got no skillz and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I also have a heathy fear of unjuring myself ever since I unclipped in mid-air that time. I got mine to protect my drivetrain when I'm going over logs and big rocks, of which we have quite a lot here in Pennsylvania. There are definite times when I use the teeth of the bash ring to get me over the top of some obsacles. Judging by the way my bashring is deformed, nicked and gouged, it's been serving it's purpose well.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Combat Wombat

I use one.

Protects the chainring, chain and all that other jazz. If you look at mine, you can see the rub marks on it from a couple logs on a local trail. How important is this to me? I personally have never damaged an unprotected chainring on a log and do not worry about it. On my bike, it looks cool and that is its main purpose. Considering how much most people will spend on their bike and riding gear for asthetic purposes, $20 is pretty cheap.

Brian

mtbr member

that's...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    That's what I use them for. For my ENOs, they're just ENO.

Hoopy Frood

Because it was laying around

When I was building up my bike, I didn't have any short chainring bolts laying around. However, I did have a bashring.

I have one on my geared bike as well and like them a lot. I tend to smack into stuff and they've held up well. I also ride in jeans sometimes and it seems to reduce the fraying/grease marks as well.

Plus, I'll admit that I think they look cool.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

try driving your car less
    i use one because i do hit rocks. on a geared bike the bigring protects the chain (when not in the big ring). on my SS, my chain would get damaged when i hit rocks. it never broke, but would get all messed up and jump off the ring or just make a ton of noise. twice i replaced the few damaged links and then mounted the bashring. now i dont worry about it when going through tricky rocky sections and can bash away!

i think for logs/wood it's not a big deal though.
    Only boring people get bored.

( )
    Nov 2004

i need one

I hit it on rocks all the time. If it wasn't there, I'd be going through chains and chainrings like crazy. It took one ride to come to that conclusion. I tend to play around on rocks though, either just for the fun of it or because there's no other way around. And when I hit them not quite right, they end up right between my front and rear wheels. Saved by the bashguard.

mtbr member
    They are used for a number of reasons:

1) Cosmetics. This is important to alot of people.

2) Protect the chainring. I've bent my fair share on SS with cambered logs & rocks. However, I have not broken a chain on a rock.

3) Protect yourself. The exposed chainring can cut you up pretty badly if you have a bad bail - one of our guys got a row of 1/4" deep cuts behind the knee when he tangled with the bike comming off a skinny/ramp. He's had a bash guard on since.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is no point if you know how to ride and they are ugly as hell in my opinion.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    My bashring was cheaper than the shorter bolts here in Germany.

Cheers,
    Cris

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by single_track_mind
    There is no point if you know how to ride and they are ugly as hell in my opinion.

So true.

Am I getting too bulky?
    Must be nice to be so superior, you actually feel the need to be pompous about something like riding a bike.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    The same can be said for armour. Or helmets. Don't go there...

formerly Giantxc
    To collect dirt, leaves and other crap from the trail.

Combat Wombat

I think he was talking about.....

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The same can be said for armour. Or helmets. Don't go there...
    "they are ugly as hell in my opinion"

Riders that ride without them. I can't believe he would bust on Shiggy like that.

Brian

Got A Lust for Life...
    [QUOTE=single_track_mind]There is no point if you know how to ride and they are ugly as hell in my opinion.

I ride over 20" logs using my bashring. Up here in Maine there can be a few of those. Hmm...and it took a bit of practice to ride over them with some speed. Should I get off and walk? Would that be less ugly? Or take the chance of destroying 50 bucks worth of parts instead of using the 20 part to protect them? Must be nice to ride trails that do not have obstacles that require a bashguard. I'll stick around here. Ignorance must be bliss!

mtbr member
    I've fried enough big rings on the gearie to know that I occasionally put on the hurt down there. Bashrings are cheaper than chainrings and can save you from a ride-ender.

As for that rider skill BS, sometimes you just can't help what your front tire unearths. If you're unlucky enough to wake up an 18" boulder, your chainring is about to take one right in the smile. Sometimes these things happen, so why not protect yourself against it?

That's gonna leave a mark
    I use one because I'm nowhere near as good a rider as single_track_mind. That and the fact I like to pretend I know something about trials maneuvers when out on the rocks.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

hands up who wants to die
    get your $4K singlespeed off the municipal bike path and maybe you'll see the utility of a bash guard. There are large rocks and tall logs on real trails.

But maybe a broken $80 chainring is a good excuse not to ride.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Out spokin'

C'mon, people!

This simply HAD to be said and you know it!

It's FUNNY!

For the record, I don't use a bashring. I think they're ugly and add unnecessary weight. But I'm not a hucker or much of a rock rider. I do ride over logs but I've never damaged my chain/chainring doing so (knock on rotting wood). Anyway, lighten up and take single_track_mind's comment as tongue-in-cheek, whether or not he meant it that way, willya?

Ride whatever you like and let's all laugh at ourselves once in a while. Ironically it's single_track_mind that I'm laughing at/with right now. Certainly he's not kidding anyone with his intentionally put-on, know-it-all attitude. Look at it this way and what he said is just plain funny!

Uh, isn't it?

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky 7
    I've fried enough big rings on the gearie to know that I occasionally put on the hurt down there.
    yeah but i bet the big ring bent cause the teeth sunk into whatever you were going over, which caused the ring to bend. i to have bent my share of buig rings this way and always run a bashqguard on my geared rides for this exact reason.

in singlespeed applications however there is always a chain which will protect the rings teeth quite nicely.

i ride over rocks and logs with no bashring and have never bent a chainring (if your really on your game shouldn't be hitting them with your chainring anyway). unfortunately i am a hack and bang the sh!t outta my ring on occasion. so far my 32t salsa ring has taken all my ugly 230 pounds of fury without ever complaining.

so i say bashrings are not necessary. but might be proved wrong by personal experience someday.

Got A Lust for Life...
    hehehehehehehe

Probably drunk right now

Stupidest Thread Ever?

I thought for sure that one of mine would hold that honor but this one takes 1st place, I think.

To the OP: The bashgaurd on a SS does the same f'ing thing it does on a geared bike.

To everyone that says bashrings are stupid, lame, yada, yada, yada.... Who cares? If you don't like them, don't ride them.

To those who say that a bashring is the only way to ride a bike and those that don't obviously don't ride hard enough, yada, yada, yada.... Who cares? If you want to ride one, goody for you.

I need a beer. O'Dells out of CO has come out with a 5 Barrel Ale that is filtered through a bed of hops as part of its brewing process. It's an especially hoppy and tasty beer from an especially good brewery. In about 35 minutes, I'll be drinking a 5 Barrel Ale, cooking dinner (A roasted pork shoulder, new potatoes, fresh green beans in a white wine sauce and a salad with a homemade fresh herb and balsamic vinegrette dressing) and thinking about whether I'm cool or not based on whether I ride with a bash gaurd or not. Or maybe I'll be reflecting on what a great beer I'm drinking and not bother with the bashring reflection.

Ken

Out spokin'

Hey! You can't get away with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    ...In about 35 minutes, I'll be drinking a 5 Barrel Ale, cooking dinner (A roasted pork shoulder, new potatoes, fresh green beans in a white wine sauce and a salad with a homemade... Ken
    That does it!!! I'm comin' over for dinner!

--Sparty

P.S. Appetizer: Bashring stew.
    disciplesofdirt.org

Probably drunk right now

Beer and Salad Update

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    That does it!!! I'm comin' over for dinner!

--Sparty

P.S. Appetizer: Bashring stew.
    I changed my mind and had a Rogue Mocha Porter. Brewed by some fine ladies and gents in Newport Oregon. I'll switch to the O'Dells after savoring the fine malty goodness of the porter.

And I forgot to mention that in addition to the homemade herb and vinagrette dressing, the salad will be topped with some nice, sliced Prosciutto and fresh, grated provolone.

Come on over, we'll have plenty. No matter how hard I try to cook for 2-5 people, I always wind up with enough food to feed 20.

Ken

Out spokin'

Okay, I'll hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    ...Brewed by some fine ladies and gents in Newport Oregon.... Come on over, we'll have plenty. ...Ken
    If I leave right now and drive straight through, I figure I can be there in 30-40 hours. But I can't leave right now... I still have almost two hours left in the workday.

I've visited the Rogue Brewery. It's about 90 minutes from here. I bought a stunning "Rogue Nation" long sleeve railroad shirt there. Oh, and some beer.

Best start dinner without me, dang it. But thankee fur the invite just the same.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    This simply HAD to be said and you know it!

It's FUNNY!

For the record, I don't use a bashring. I think they're ugly and add unnecessary weight. But I'm not a hucker or much of a rock rider. I do ride over logs but I've never damaged my chain/chainring doing so (knock on rotting wood). Anyway, lighten up and take single_track_mind's comment as tongue-in-cheek, whether or not he meant it that way, willya?

Ride whatever you like and let's all laugh at ourselves once in a while. Ironically it's single_track_mind that I'm laughing at/with right now. Certainly he's not kidding anyone with his intentionally put-on, know-it-all attitude. Look at it this way and what he said is just plain funny!

Uh, isn't it?

--Sparty

WERD

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Last edited by VegasSingleSpeed; 01-10-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0