2. 25 pounds or less
    3. Front suspension fork

any help would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Reeb

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Stick a suspension fork on the Trek Superfly SS, and it would meet your requirements.

Relentless forward motion
    Niner air 9 carbon frame w. bio ecc BB (1500 at JensonUSA... and arguably the best niner single speed frame due to its pure stiffness), any good 100mm for like a sid XX or one step down... 350-500 bucks... 500 for stans crest... X9 cranks or similar (150), some niner RDO stem, bars and post (250) barely used on flea bay. a Surly cog and an 8 speed chain, ODI ($65) and rubber ($120) .... Sub $3k and probably 21 pounds... a down right wicked racing SS that can handle the trail everyday!
    "Racing cyclocross exposes the truth, it's the biggest reason many people do not race it"

banned
    Sep 2008
    15' kona unit ss. throw a fork on it if you must, but get some awesome wheels. mavic crossmax sl. spending 3k on a bike is retahdid, imo. the unit with sissy fork and nice wheels might set ya back 2k.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Stick a suspension fork on the Trek Superfly SS, and it would meet your requirements.
    Gotta be G2, they are out there but check prices.

Man, $3K is a lot of money. You can get a carver titanium frame and probably still come in under budget.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    Gotta be G2, they are out there but check prices.

Man, $3K is a lot of money. You can get a carver titanium frame and probably still come in under budget.
    ti frame's flexy. even budget steel like unit rides mo bettah with life and gusto.

been on carver ti. meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I love my Unit but, correct me if I'm wrong(as a noob I don't know just how light top of line wheels can get)--I think you'd be hard pressed to get it under 25lbs, especially with a sus fork on it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    I love my Unit but, correct me if I'm wrong(as a noob I don't know just how light top of line wheels can get)--I think you'd be hard pressed to get it under 25lbs, especially with a sus fork on it.
    a unit could easily go under 25 with the right parts including a boat anchor boingo fork. however, that frame rides waaaaaaay too good to hide/ruin the ride with a suss fork, imo.

the stock fork is wicked heavy for rigid. throw a carver plastic fork (189.95) on it and drop over 1.5 lbs from stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    a unit could easily go under 25 with the right parts including a boat anchor boingo fork. however, that frame rides waaaaaaay too good to hide/ruin the ride with a suss fork, imo.

the stock fork is wicked heavy for rigid. throw a carver plastic fork (189.95) on it and drop over 1.5 lbs from stock.
    I have to say, the jury's still out for me on the sus fork on this bike. It changed the personality of it for sure. Not as lively/fun feeling now--I noticed that the first time out with it. I'm less beat up after a ride through the SoCal rocky terrain, but not sure if I'll stick with it…might slap the P2 back on there.

mtbr member
    With a 3k budget, I would definitely build. Get something ti. Ti is sexy.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Ti is flexy.
    fify^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i've owned high end custom ti frames setup single and geared, rigid and sissy fork.

none of em rode as good as my steel unit. not kidding. the whole unit at full retail (shop guy here, so i only paid about half of retail 540.00) cost 1/3rd of just the last ti frame i had alone. unit ftw!

oh and i broke that last ti frame at the chainstay/dropout weld. at 165lbs and strong like bull i'd never break a steel frame.

Moderator Moderator
    Shoot, for $3k, you should have me (or someone else) make you a custom one. Easy to hit 25# (or well under) at that price point even with a custom build if you're reasonably smart about it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yep, would do this. Could maybe even do something bling, like an RS-1 on 2015 closeout, but I'd grab a SID and some new wheels.

WillWorkForTrail
    If I had $3K to blow on a bike, I think I could make almost anything come in sub 25lbs. My Soma Juice is 25 lbs 2 oz with a suspension fork on it, and that's with some tank wheels because I wanted strong and "cheap" ($500) - but they still weigh less than crappy wheels. For $1200 you can get a set of i9 wheels made, 500 for a frame, a Manitou fork (400?) carbon bars, carbon post, a seat I took off another bike, race face cranks. Yep. A lighter set of wheels than mine would put the build under 25, even a rigid steel fork, never mind a carbon one. For that kind of money, the sky is the limit as long as you use your head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Shoot, for $3k, you should have me (or someone else) make you a custom one. Easy to hit 25# (or well under) at that price point even with a custom build if you're reasonably smart about it.

-Walt
    Agreed. For 3G, I would go custom and get exactly what you want in terms of ride, color, and components.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

-Walt
    How. Fricken. Cool.

OP, I don't mind spending your money on Ti, not sure I would spend my money on it. Especially if you're riding rigid, wheel and tire choice have a huge effect on compliance and feel. Frame material, I dunno. With the ability to use hydroforming, is aluminum really that much worse than steel? I've heard people gripe about Ti being too flexy or too rigid, guess it depends on how you make it. The idea of being able to spec out a bike for your weight, your riding style... to be able to make it as stiff or compliant as you want it... get the geo as steep or relaxed as you want it... to guarantee you can do 29+ or 27.5+ if you want... to get the exact dropouts you want, EBB if you want... to nail your trail figures right where you want them... wow. I mean, I'll spend your money however you want. If it was my money, this is the best idea yet imo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Could easily do a sub 20lb Specialized Crave SS with fork for that $$$

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    Could easily do a sub 20lb Specialized Crave SS with fork for that $$$
    Or just buy the the new crave sl ss for 1350 swap the kweer 20t cog for an 18t and be done with it. With how good bikes are these days, custom is HIGHLY overrated, imo.

Wanna ride bikes?
    if it were me, custom steel frame (853 or OX Platinum). build some sweet wheels, and add the fork of your choice.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    1100.00 and gives more capable wheel option. more cush too. super sweet steel frame.

cooker27plus.chargebikes.com | Cooker 0

A plethora of pinatas
    +1 on the Trek SS! Superfly SS - Trek Bicycle
    Marty

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Lord knows I love my superfly, but OP is looking at a totally different price point.

If you have $1500 to spend, and want to hit the easy button, the Trek is an outstanding value. But you don't have to swap out many parts before it becomes not such a good value. Don't see the point in having OP invest in $400 worth of carbon fork he doesn't want, and $200 worth of wheels he probably doesn't want either. The frame is a work of art IMO but he might not want alloy. I will say the dropout system has really grown on me, it's unique, it works. I love it and would miss it on a different bike. Too bad they don't just sell the frame.

Overall it's a great bike but I just don't think I could recommend it to someone looking to spend $3K.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy off the shelf at that price point. I would budget for wheels first, I have no use whatsoever for 25mm rims, I would go 35mm at least and would get some decent hubs. Never thought I would hear myself say this, but I would get hydro brakes. I would get the perfect bars and seat. I could live with XT cranks, steel rings/cogs,* alloy post/stem. With whatever is left over I would get the nicest frame I could afford, that works with the wheel/tire solution I chose, and had a chain tensioning system I could live with. I know that kind of sounds backwards but you know frame geometry hasn't really changed much in the last 15 years** but we are looking at tires and wheels really differently these days, I just think that's where the action is.

--------
    *But would demand EndlessBike gear for Christmas
    ** I see the 29er thing a matter of tweaking geometry that had already been perfected for the 26er platform. But, to be sure, we want the right tweaks. The argument for custom is precisely that, tire/wheel technology is moving faster than frame design, especially for ss frames, which is a niche market

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I sort of went where you're going, but I found a little more old school way to get there. I picked up a NOS (New Old Stock) frame that I had always coveted ('01 Homegrown) and built up my dream SS (yes, it's a 26er). I'm still slightly under $2500 all in and I'm currently at 19.5 lbs. I may put it on a diet again, but for now, I'm just going to ride. The geometry on this bike was legendary for racing and I now know why. It's super nimble and VERY quick accelerating. I'm loving riding all over again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm View Post
    I need to get a short list for a new single speed purchase
    I have 3 major requirements

1. $3k Budget
    2. 25 pounds or less
    3. Front suspension fork

any help would be greatly appreciated
    Just curious (honest to God, no sarcasm) - how did you come up with your limit of 25 pounds or less?
    Don't believe everything you think

The perfessor
    I've had both Ti & Steel 29er SSs.........Ti rides better because the lighter ride allows me to maneuver better and I feel it absorbs a bit of vibration........just a personal preference, of course.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Jones!