Please help: CK SS hub disassembly- Mtbr.com
    Out spokin'

Please help: CK SS hub disassembly

I think I have a siezed non-drive side bearing in my rear Chris King singlespeed hub. Can't tell but I'd like to get in there and find out.

I don't have specific instructions for the SS hub (does CK have any?) so I'm using a hub manual for a standard hub. I've removed the QR adapters and loosened the adjusting cone but I can't unscrew the axle end from the main axle. How is this done? There are no wrench flats, etc. Do I just grab both ends of the axle with Channelock pliars and rip on it?

That doesn't seem right.

TIA,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I think I have a siezed non-drive side bearing in my rear Chris King singlespeed hub. Can't tell but I'd like to get in there and find out.

I don't have specific instructions for the SS hub (does CK have any?) so I'm using a hub manual for a standard hub. I've removed the QR adapters and loosened the adjusting cone but I can't unscrew the axle end from the main axle. How is this done? There are no wrench flats, etc. Do I just grab both ends of the axle with Channelock pliars and rip on it?

That doesn't seem right.

TIA,
    Sparty

I haven't taken my CK SS hub apart yet... but as a guess...try removing the adjusting cone completely... I think the axle will slide out if you pull it from the opposite side. You shouldn't even need to remove the QR adapters as that axle should all be one piece.

www.jollypumpkin.com
    Jan 2004

There is no seperate axle end with a bolt-on axle

Basically you just need to loosen the adjusting cone and spin it off the threads. Then take the hub and put it non-drive side down on a table and push the axle out by pushing down on the hub. Should slide the adjusting cone off without any problem. Just be sure it is not still holding onto any threads.

Out spokin'

This isn't a bolt-on axle

Quote Originally Posted by habanero
    Basically you just need to loosen the adjusting cone and spin it off the threads. Then take the hub and put it non-drive side down on a table and push the axle out by pushing down on the hub. Should slide the adjusting cone off without any problem. Just be sure it is not still holding onto any threads.
    I'm using a QR as I have vertical dropouts. Not a bolt-on. I've tried to remove the "adjusting cone" (quote marks explained below) but it is not as shown in CK's manual -- this SS variety adjusting cone is threaded plus has a pinch bolt.

The reason for the quote marks around adjusting cone above is that the exploded view in the CK manual shows a standard (geared) hub, not the SS variety. The standard hub's adjusting cone is not split and threaded for a pinch bolt as the SS hub is. I do not know if they are the same animal. How do I know if it will slide off if I unscrew it all the way? I've tried to unscrew it all the way off the end of the unthreaded portion of the axle, but it stops. Doesn't seem to want to slip past the non-threaded part.

Thanks again,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    ok, just to make sure, you're using a standard axle, or the HD axle with a QR conversion? the instructions i got with my disk hub (not SS) show an explosion of the HD axle and instructions on how to disassemble. want me to get a picture of it for you? i don't know if this helps you or not...

and no, CK doesn't have SS instructions.

Out spokin'

To my knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    ok, just to make sure, you're using a standard axle, or the HD axle with a QR conversion?
    To my knowledge I have a standard axle, but I don't know for sure. I bought the thing two years ago, had it built into a wheel and have been running it ever since. What's "HD" anyway, heavy duty? Seems like I'd know it if I had that.

I think I'll head back out into the garage and see if I can look at things from a different perspective... in the meantime, anything further you (or anybody else) can suggest would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    yeah, heavy duty...i'll post that pic. i wasn't aware that King ever sold them with QR axles...back in a second...

mtbr member
    okie, here's a link to a pic of the instruction manual where it talks about the bolt on/HD axle disassembly. maybe it'll help, maybe not.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/barriedb/CK.jpg

it's rather big...really, really, big...wanted to make sure you could read it clearly. might want to rt. click-save as 'cause i'm only allowed 75Mgs of bandwidth in 3hrs.

Out spokin'

Got it!

okie, here's a link to a pic of the instruction manual where it talks about the bolt on/HD axle disassembly. maybe it'll help, maybe not.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/barriedb/CK.jpg

it's rather big...really, really, big...wanted to make sure you could read it clearly. might want to rt. click-save as 'cause i'm only allowed 75Mgs of bandwidth in 3hrs.
    Yeah, that did it. Okay, now I know the adjusting cone unscrews and then slides off the unthreaded portion of the axle. Once I got the ajusting cone free, the axle slid right out, just like the instructions you posted for "bolt on hub" said it would.

Thanks to you as well as habanero (who told me the same thing the instructions did). My hub was so gritty things just weren't coming apart as easily as I figgered they should.

MUCH appreciated, fellers.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'

Postscript

Sure enough, the non-drive bearing is siezed. Fortunately for me, Chris King just moved their operations 100 miles north of here.

Or are bearings in CK hubs easily swapped out by the home mechanic?

--Sparty

P.S. One more clarification. Above I stated something to the effect that "this isn't a bolt-on axle." Well, in spite of the fact that I've set my SS hub up as a QR, it is obviously still considered by Chris King to be a bolt-on. Dang semantics...
    disciplesofdirt.org

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Sure enough, the non-drive bearing is siezed. Fortunately for me, Chris King just moved their operations 100 miles north of here.

Or are bearings in CK hubs easily swapped out by the home mechanic?

--Sparty

P.S. One more clarification. Above I stated something to the effect that "this isn't a bolt-on axle." Well, in spite of the fact that I've set my SS hub up as a QR, it is obviously still considered by Chris King to be a bolt-on. Dang semantics...
    Easily swapped if you own their hub tool. If not, contact your LBS and see if they have the tool. Replacement bearing can probably be ordered directly from CK.

With the tool, you can easily make your hub look like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dirtcrab; 03-27-2004 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    seized bearing? what would cause that? i can't say i've ever heard or read about that in a CK. i can't imagine CK bearings being cheap. especially that one in the second row of things...the "open" cart bearing.

i think i'm going to invest in that tool after this summer. (watching someone) tearing down Kings is so enjoyable. i imagine doing it yourself is even moreso.

SS Grrrrrrrl
    seized bearing? what would cause that? i can't say i've ever heard or read about that in a CK. i can't imagine CK bearings being cheap. especially that one in the second row of things...the "open" cart bearing.

i think i'm going to invest in that tool after this summer. (watching someone) tearing down Kings is so enjoyable. i imagine doing it yourself is even moreso.
    I have a friend who was having problems with a 6 month old CK hub. I tore it down and one of the bearings was seized. Absolutely no grease under the seal. The other bearing was fine so I'm not sure what caused it.

At first I thought she was out of luck until we could get a replacement bearing shipped out... but I was able to break the seized balls by dropping the entire bearing on a hard surface. I repacked it with grease, reassembled it (made sure it wasn't damaged) and it's been working fine ever since. So apparently it does happen!

mtbr member
    Cartrige bearings that are seized are usually caused by water pressure forcing dirt particles in to the bearing. After many times the bearing becomes inoperable. I see this all the time at the shop I work at. We call them hosers (hosing the bike down).

Out spokin'

Dirtcrab, thank you, too

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    I have a friend who was having problems with a 6 month old CK hub. I tore it down...
    You also gave me perfect advice from the very beginning. Thanks for that. Sorry I didn't acknowledge this earlier.

I like to do my own work on my own bikes -- have been since the mid-70s(and therefore much is thrust upon me by others ). But there's a first time for everything, including tearing into a CK SS hub, and unfortunately my bike tool arsenal doesn't include certain specialty tools. No worries, I'm closer to some of my LBS buds than I am to my own brother . Them fellers is down wit everything CK, yoo betcha.

Thanks again for helpin' me out.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

SS Grrrrrrrl
    You also gave me perfect advice from the very beginning. Thanks for that. Sorry I didn't acknowledge this earlier.

I like to do my own work on my own bikes -- have been since the mid-70s(and therefore much is thrust upon me by others ). But there's a first time for everything, including tearing into a CK SS hub, and unfortunately my bike tool arsenal doesn't include certain specialty tools. No worries, I'm closer to some of my LBS buds than I am to my own brother . Them fellers is down wit everything CK, yoo betcha.

Thanks again for helpin' me out.

--Sparty
    My pleasure. If you like wrenching, definitely pick up the tool for yourself. Even though you'll only need to overhaul your own hubs once in a while... you're friends will love it (and so will you) when you get to overhaul their hubs too. Plus you usually get a 12 pack of beer or a nice dinner on the side. The tool pays for itself after about two rebuilds. :-P

Not only are the hubs fun to take apart, but they're a real work of art... especially that ring drive mechanism.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    Not only are the hubs fun to take apart, but they're a real work of art... especially that ring drive mechanism.
    Yes they are a real work of art. I was blown away at how lightweight everything that came out of that hubshell was. As well as how beautifully designed.

I'll definitely get the CK hub tool, especially if it pays for itself that quickly. This is not my only CK hub.

See you on the trails,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Well, now that that is figgered out - Can I ask what it was the made you think it was a seized bearing? Nasty noise/grinding sensation/completely seized up etc? Was it a subtle thing or blatantly obvious? Just curious.
    Wibble

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Well, now that that is figgered out - Can I ask what it was the made you think it was a seized bearing? Nasty noise/grinding sensation/completely seized up etc? Was it a subtle thing or blatantly obvious? Just curious.
    It was a squealing/squwaking noise that sounded almost exactly like a squealing brake rotor. But it only occurred when I was pedaling, not when I'd coast. My QRs were tight. So I (actually shiggy) wiggled the rear wheel and we found it had quite a bit of slop in it.

Turns out the squealing noise was the adjusting cone galling the seized bearing. The friction between them had forced the adjusting cone to unscrew until it no longer contacted the bearing. That's what introduced the play into the wheel.

When I got home after the ride and pulled the rear wheel, I noticed that the axle turned freely if I pushed it toward the freehub, but it would not turn if I pushed it toward the non-drive bearing. That made me think it might be the non-drive bearing.

I'll take a close look at the adjusting cone for the severity of galling. I may need to replace it in addition to the bearing.

--Sparty
    Last edited by Sparticus; 03-28-2004 at 05:25 PM. Reason: clarity
    disciplesofdirt.org