Please Double check that I maybe might possibly be somewhat ok with my parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Please Double check that I maybe might possibly be somewhat ok with my parts

Sorry this is about a road frame, but the SS section in the road review was looking sparse.

I have a frame with 406mm CS. It has a BB86. Vertical Dropouts

According to the magic gear calulator I need some odd number chainrings which are a little harder to come by, but would I be ok going with the 42x17 combo?

Also I should just be able to run a GXP BB86 BB in the shell and put in an Apex GXP (or similar) crank correct?

Please Double check that I maybe might possibly be somewhat ok with my parts-screen-shot-2018-02-02-7.05.21-am.png

mtbr member
    Regardless of cranks you could try but with a new chain might be too tight. Using a half link should open up some possibilities. Otherwise eccentric rear hub maybe

ENO — White Industries
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Half link is your friend if you have an odd combination and can't quite get your chain right.

I usually run a 32/20 on my singlespeed 29er. Have to use a half link when I go to 32/21 because of tire fitment and dropout adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I can run a half link on any chainring? So I can run the 47x17 with a half link and be good?

socal- I know about the eccentric hub, but just trying to keep costs down and I already have a set of wheels I can use. Thank you though.

powered by peanut butter.
    Quote Originally Posted by yourrealdad View Post
    So I can run a half link on any chainring? So I can run the 47x17 with a half link and be good?
    My understanding is that half-links don't work with narrow-wide chainrings. I haven't tried it myself, though. Can anyone confirm this?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ah yes, I think I remember something to that affect. Are SRAM X-sync chainrings considered NW? Their description just says tall and narrow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    My understanding is that half-links don't work with narrow-wide chainrings. I haven't tried it myself, though. Can anyone confirm this?
    This is true. Think about it, the narrow teeth fit with the inner plates while the wide teeth fit with the outer plates providing better chain retention. The chain and ring sequence is every other, so if you have a half-link (one side attaching to the inner plate and the other attaching to the outer plate) it will shift the chain once the half link hits the ring. The first chain revolution will work, but when it goes around a 2nd time the half link will shift the inner plates to connect with the wider tooth and vice versa.

I once got involved in a disagreement on here about odd tooth cogs with NW rings (which by design are/have to be even tooth) and my thought was that odd numbered cog would shift the chain. However, I was wrong in that thought but it was pointed out the a half link will perform that unwanted shift.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't know about the narrow/wide thing. I use one on my single speed.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone? X-sync chainring with a half link in a chain or half link chain?

mtbr member
    a narrow wide chainring should not work with a "3/32-inch" chain (any chain made for gears) because N-W chainrings go narrow, wide, narrow, wide, etc. putting a half link on the chain would make the sequence go narrow, wide, narrow, narrow, narrow, wide. the "narrow" in the middle would be the half-link and it should not be able to fit the corresponding wide tooth that it would be forced to roll onto.

tensioners are not horrible. just use one of those and you can run just about any gear combo you want. I think you would make a Shimano Alfine tensioner work, which is basically a rear derailleur that does not shift.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Finally found a source that says x-sync is NW. Bummer. I guess the easy thing to do is run a tensioner, but they are sooooooooooooooooo ugly.

mtbr member
    can you put a bottom bracket mounted Blackspire Stinger on it? not as ugly, and I have one I'll sell you cheap. I gota red one and mounted it once but never used it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    for a road singlespeed maybe try the coolest "tensioner" ever; the ghost ring:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sing...w=1758&bih=638

If i ever have a vertical dropout bike i want to SS i'd try this first just because i think it looks COOL!

mtbr member
    I use a gusset tensioner. Works fine n it's quiet. Cheap too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk