"Playbike" suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Good for nothin'

"Playbike" suggestions?

OK, so I've got my "serious" bikes built to my liking, and I find myself with about $500 to spend. I'm looking for something just for fun -- singlespeed or fixed, urban assault, off-road or not, whatever. 24" or 26" or 29" wheels - for grocery store runs, riding with my 8-year-old, derby, on-road, off-road, pub crawls, jumping, hanging out, something simple and cheap. Preferably new, possibly used, but not something that I have to build myself. I want a "play" bike just for the grin factor. Any ideas? I know you have some!

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Bastard
    OK, so I've got my "serious" bikes built to my liking, and I find myself with about $500 to spend. I'm looking for something just for fun -- singlespeed or fixed, urban assault, off-road or not, whatever. 24" or 26" or 29" wheels - for grocery store runs, riding with my 8-year-old, derby, on-road, off-road, pub crawls, jumping, hanging out, something simple and cheap. Preferably new, possibly used, but not something that I have to build myself. I want a "play" bike just for the grin factor. Any ideas? I know you have some!
    Absolute no-brainer, wait till March for the Monocog 29er for retail of $475

mtbr member
    I'd get a retro flavored 26" BMX cruiser. Either a SE Racing OM Flyer, Kappa K-26, or Fireman's Texas cruiser. With the Kappa and Fireman's you'd have to have a bunch of old parts lying around to come in under $500. I think someone just posted an '04 OM Flyer in the classifieds.

http://www.sebmx.com/2006/bike-detail.asp?id=9

http://www.kappabmx.com/k26.html

www.firemansbikes.com

Mtn Biker Machinist

make that 2 for the monocog

easy, get the redline 29er! big boy wheels, complete, sturdy, cheap! no contest!

Good for nothin'
    The Mono 29er looks like a nice cheap bike. Too bad about the "tribal" graphics; maybe I can repaint it. And how many of the parts say "Redline" on them? ALL of them!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    What will the hub width be? Is it aluminum.....steel would be so much cooler.
    Where have you been, Matt? 135mm, steel. Full specs are on their site except it will have SS cassette disc hubs instead of FW.

I like the looks of it, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Steamroller

Looks cool

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Absolute no-brainer, wait till March for the Monocog 29er for retail of $475

What will the hub width be? Is it aluminum.....steel would be so much cooler.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    From the Redline website:

135mm hub
    chromoly frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was in the same position and built up a Monocog on the BMX/Cruiser side and really like it. Put "Redline as 26" Cruiser" in the SS search and check it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Specialized P1...they have been on sale for a while from Specialized. Most shops should be able to sell you one for well under $500.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good for nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
    I was in the same position and built up a Monocog on the BMX/Cruiser side and really like it. Put "Redline as 26" Cruiser" in the SS search and check it out.

Thanks, Ragged - good tip and a might fine-lookin' bike. I wonder if the 26" Monocogs are gonna go cheap once the 29ers come out....
    Attached Images Attached Images

...I wonder if the 26" Monocogs are gonna go cheap once the 29ers come out....
    I doubt it, they are already cheap.
    mtbtires.com

Steamroller

Great news!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Where have you been, Matt? 135mm, steel. Full specs are on their site except it will have SS cassette disc hubs instead of FW.

I like the looks of it, too.
    This should really swell the ranks of the SS 29rs, glad it sounds like it will be a decent bike. My first decent SS was a monocog so, I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Shiggy, thanks for noticing my absense. I've just been busy working at the shop and spending most of my evening computer time with ebay lately trying to supliment my income. I've also done quite a bit of selling and upgrading of my personal bike fleet lately.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

Good for nothin'
    I appreciate all of your input; I bought a 2006 Monocog today. Depsite the exhortations and histrionics of the rabid 29ers, the 26er suits my needs, desires, and terrain perfectly.
    Thank you, and goodnight.

I appreciate all of your input; I bought a 2006 Monocog today. Depsite the exhortations and histrionics of the rabid 29ers, the 26er suits my needs, desires, and terrain perfectly.
    Thank you, and goodnight.
    Enjoy the ride!
    mtbtires.com

Just Give'r!
    sounds like a good choice to me. enjoy!!

Members who have read this thread: 0