"Playbike" suggestions?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Good for nothin'
    Reputation: Li'l Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55

    "Playbike" suggestions?

    OK, so I've got my "serious" bikes built to my liking, and I find myself with about $500 to spend. I'm looking for something just for fun -- singlespeed or fixed, urban assault, off-road or not, whatever. 24" or 26" or 29" wheels - for grocery store runs, riding with my 8-year-old, derby, on-road, off-road, pub crawls, jumping, hanging out, something simple and cheap. Preferably new, possibly used, but not something that I have to build myself. I want a "play" bike just for the grin factor. Any ideas? I know you have some!

  2. #2
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Bastard
    OK, so I've got my "serious" bikes built to my liking, and I find myself with about $500 to spend. I'm looking for something just for fun -- singlespeed or fixed, urban assault, off-road or not, whatever. 24" or 26" or 29" wheels - for grocery store runs, riding with my 8-year-old, derby, on-road, off-road, pub crawls, jumping, hanging out, something simple and cheap. Preferably new, possibly used, but not something that I have to build myself. I want a "play" bike just for the grin factor. Any ideas? I know you have some!
    Absolute no-brainer, wait till March for the Monocog 29er for retail of $475


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    425
    I'd get a retro flavored 26" BMX cruiser. Either a SE Racing OM Flyer, Kappa K-26, or Fireman's Texas cruiser. With the Kappa and Fireman's you'd have to have a bunch of old parts lying around to come in under $500. I think someone just posted an '04 OM Flyer in the classifieds.

    http://www.sebmx.com/2006/bike-detail.asp?id=9

    http://www.kappabmx.com/k26.html

    www.firemansbikes.com

  4. #4
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,048

    make that 2 for the monocog

    easy, get the redline 29er! big boy wheels, complete, sturdy, cheap! no contest!

  5. #5
    Good for nothin'
    Reputation: Li'l Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55
    The Mono 29er looks like a nice cheap bike. Too bad about the "tribal" graphics; maybe I can repaint it. And how many of the parts say "Redline" on them? ALL of them!

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    What will the hub width be? Is it aluminum.....steel would be so much cooler.
    Where have you been, Matt? 135mm, steel. Full specs are on their site except it will have SS cassette disc hubs instead of FW.

    I like the looks of it, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    Looks cool

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Absolute no-brainer, wait till March for the Monocog 29er for retail of $475

    What will the hub width be? Is it aluminum.....steel would be so much cooler.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

  8. #8
    I'm sticky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    143
    From the Redline website:

    135mm hub
    chromoly frame

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    66
    I was in the same position and built up a Monocog on the BMX/Cruiser side and really like it. Put "Redline as 26" Cruiser" in the SS search and check it out.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    279
    Specialized P1...they have been on sale for a while from Specialized. Most shops should be able to sell you one for well under $500.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Good for nothin'
    Reputation: Li'l Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
    I was in the same position and built up a Monocog on the BMX/Cruiser side and really like it. Put "Redline as 26" Cruiser" in the SS search and check it out.

    Thanks, Ragged - good tip and a might fine-lookin' bike. I wonder if the 26" Monocogs are gonna go cheap once the 29ers come out....
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Bastard
    ...I wonder if the 26" Monocogs are gonna go cheap once the 29ers come out....
    I doubt it, they are already cheap.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    Steamroller
    Reputation: Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,217

    Great news!

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Where have you been, Matt? 135mm, steel. Full specs are on their site except it will have SS cassette disc hubs instead of FW.

    I like the looks of it, too.
    This should really swell the ranks of the SS 29rs, glad it sounds like it will be a decent bike. My first decent SS was a monocog so, I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

    Shiggy, thanks for noticing my absense. I've just been busy working at the shop and spending most of my evening computer time with ebay lately trying to supliment my income. I've also done quite a bit of selling and upgrading of my personal bike fleet lately.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

  14. #14
    Good for nothin'
    Reputation: Li'l Bastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    55
    I appreciate all of your input; I bought a 2006 Monocog today. Depsite the exhortations and histrionics of the rabid 29ers, the 26er suits my needs, desires, and terrain perfectly.
    Thank you, and goodnight.

  15. #15
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Bastard
    I appreciate all of your input; I bought a 2006 Monocog today. Depsite the exhortations and histrionics of the rabid 29ers, the 26er suits my needs, desires, and terrain perfectly.
    Thank you, and goodnight.
    Enjoy the ride!
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  16. #16
    Just Give'r!
    Reputation: cmatcan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    212
    sounds like a good choice to me. enjoy!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.