mtbr member
    May 2014

Platforms under $100

This has been shot to death on these forums and others. I know that cause I have searched a bunch. I wanted to start fresh though and not read 50 pages of pedal shoot out topics. I got everything on order from my LBS to finish my SS but he couldn't get me the pedals I wanted in the color I wanted. Then after spending about $230 with him I hung up the phone and we went to get our taxes done. Now that we owe $2500 to uncle sam I am stepping back on those $125-$150 pedals I wanted and thinking maybe a nice pair of $70-$90 pedals. I am limited cause I want color options not just black. Of the pedals listed, can someone who has actually put these pedals to the test give me some opinions? Am I right thinking the Azonics are painted and not anodized? I prefer anodizing.

Blackspire SUB4 Pedals > Components > Pedals > Platform Pedals | Jenson USA

http://www.jensonusa.com/Platform-Pe...-Purpose-Pedal

Azonic 420 Flat Pedals > Components > Pedals > Platform Pedals | Jenson USA

Azonic Pucker Up Pedals > Components > Pedals > Platform Pedals | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Big fan of the blackspires here
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    is there a big difference in grip among platform pedals? I read lots of reviews and some people say a certain pedal doesn't grip good and almost all people say every pedal grips good. I would think any pedal that had regular screw in spikes with grip equally?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I like the new Specialized platforms. $80'ish, but I think they only come in red or black. Really, I don't see the need to make a pedal in a color other than black, but I digress...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Platforms under $100

Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    is there a big difference in grip among platform pedals? I read lots of reviews and some people say a certain pedal doesn't grip good and almost all people say every pedal grips good. I would think any pedal that had regular screw in spikes with grip equally?
    Yes, it can be huge and lower grip pedals feel sketchy. I like Forte Converts.

mtbr member
    Use these Performance Converts on a couple of bikes, really satisfied $59 right now.

Forté Convert Platform Pedals
    Last edited by socal_jack; 03-02-2015 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Some people have commented on how nice it is with pedals like spank spikes that almost sit flush with the cranks. Do you gain any benefit with a pedal that don't have the wrench flats on the inside to use a pedal wrench on?

I also wonder what do you gain in quality when you go from a 59 dollar pedal to a 159 dollar pedal when both have chro moly spindles and machined aluminum bodies? I can't understand on a lot of these pedals that are made out of similar components why they are so varied in price?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    IDK if it true, but I've heard Xpedo makes pedals foe a bunch of different folks. I run their Sprys on two of my bikes. They are very light weight so they may not be the best I'd you plan to smack them of curbs, walls and metal coping all afternoon but for trail riding they are great. $59 US

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    IDK if it true, but I've heard Xpedo makes pedals foe a bunch of different folks. I run their Sprys on two of my bikes. They are very light weight so they may not be the best I'd you plan to smack them of curbs, walls and metal coping all afternoon but for trail riding they are great. $59 US
    I second this, except to say I've been beating the tar out of a set of Spry's for a year now, and they show a little wear but are still straight on the spindles and there's nothing other than cosmetic damage done to them.You're doing yourself a disservice if you exclude these pedals from your consideration. It's also worth noting I have 18 months worth of abuse on a set of Xpedo MF4 clipless pedals that are also cheap, light, and thus far, bullet proof.

mtbr member
    Forte converts are good pedal but man the pins shear off easily. Have owned Expedo and I feel like their screw don't grip well. I like the set screws that have Allen fitting cause they're sharper and gripper, I own deity decoys and probably won't try another pedal, have not lost a single pin and plenty of grip.

mtbr member
    Some people have commented on how nice it is with pedals like spank spikes that almost sit flush with the cranks. Do you gain any benefit with a pedal that don't have the wrench flats on the inside to use a pedal wrench on?

I also wonder what do you gain in quality when you go from a 59 dollar pedal to a 159 dollar pedal when both have chro moly spindles and machined aluminum bodies? I can't understand on a lot of these pedals that are made out of similar components why they are so varied in price?
    Before the thin pedals arrived on the scene I was using some pretty thick Wellgos(similar to their present mg32, but thicker perhaps), I do like the feel of a thinner pedal better but not sure between a Convert and something like a Spike how much different that would feel. It's also easier to get those nutted style spikes out if they get mangled, I've had to use pliers to get out the set screw style spikes but only a few times in probably 10 years or so on various platforms. Some of those nutted spikes seem quite a bit smoother which may have less tendency to shinburger you. Have never bent a cromo spindle even on the cheaper pedals(like wellgo) even though I'm a clyde and regularly smack rocks pretty good, I think it would generally take a pretty decent crash to bend one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    I like the new Specialized platforms. $80'ish, but I think they only come in red or black. Really, I don't see the need to make a pedal in a color other than black, but I digress...
    I ride these as well, the Specialized Bennies... great pedals and they don't cost an arm and a leg like others.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pedals Platform OR8 UL8 MTB Slimline 9 16 MTB BMX Best Seller Grey | eBay
    $65. Thin, light with good stubby not sharp pins.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Love my VP Vice Pedals on my ss. They're at the top of your price range though I've seen them as low as $80. Very grippy. They come in 4 colors:

VP VICE

I also have the VP 001 that I had before the Vice:
    VP-001

Also very nice, though not as grippy as the Vice, and the edges can be a little rough. They'll be going on my ss road bike….

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Pedals Platform OR8 UL8 MTB Slimline 9 16 MTB BMX Best Seller Grey | eBay
    $65. Thin, light with good stubby not sharp pins.
    I was chatting with Jensen USA today as that is probably where I will send this business to, and the dude I was talking to told me to look at those same pedals. I am tempted. They do look cool. The weird thing is to me other than style, almost all these pedals regardless of price share the same characteristics. I think you are paying a lot more for names at times.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    Love my VP Vice Pedals on my ss. They're at the top of your price range though I've seen them as low as $80. Very grippy. They come in 4 colors:

VP VICE

I also have the VP 001 that I had before the Vice:
    VP-001

Also very nice, though not as grippy as the Vice, and the edges can be a little rough. They'll be going on my ss road bike….

I like those. Nice color options as well. The 001 I read somewhere about a racer hitting a rock with his and smashing the whole outside of the pedal in and he started blogging about the crappy quality and VP saw it and sent him 3 new pairs of Vice pedals? Anyways how do you like the 001?

I don't know if I can go wrong with any of these choices mentioned fellas. I am doing my homework and will be ordering soon I hope.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I second this, except to say I've been beating the tar out of a set of Spry's for a year now, and they show a little wear but are still straight on the spindles and there's nothing other than cosmetic damage done to them.You're doing yourself a disservice if you exclude these pedals from your consideration. It's also worth noting I have 18 months worth of abuse on a set of Xpedo MF4 clipless pedals that are also cheap, light, and thus far, bullet proof.
    Those looked nice too but I am not too hip on magnesium. Don't know why. Just prefer an anodized aluminum pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok guys the deed is done. I settled on some Shimano Saints. It was a tough decision but I wanted toughness and reliability and no doubt these pedals seem to have built a rep for that. I didn't get my pretty blue color but oh well. Thanks for all the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I like those. Nice color options as well. The 001 I read somewhere about a racer hitting a rock with his and smashing the whole outside of the pedal in and he started blogging about the crappy quality and VP saw it and sent him 3 new pairs of Vice pedals? Anyways how do you like the 001?

I don't know if I can go wrong with any of these choices mentioned fellas. I am doing my homework and will be ordering soon I hope.
    I hear the Saints are great--hope you like 'em. To answer your question though, I originally got the 001s for an urban/road kinda bike. I put them on a mtb for a while and they were fine, but the Vice's are much grippier--taller pins, and I feel like the design is way more mtb friendly (which apparently is what VP intends).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jbass View Post
    I hear the Saints are great--hope you like 'em. To answer your question though, I originally got the 001s for an urban/road kinda bike. I put them on a mtb for a while and they were fine, but the Vice's are much grippier--taller pins, and I feel like the design is way more mtb friendly (which apparently is what VP intends).
    Yea Saints were never in my original consideration. I started wanting about 7-8 pedals, one for every day of the week lol. All these pedals mentioned were awesome looking. But then I read a review Origin-8 Ultim8 Slimline Platform Reviews | Mountain Bike Reviews || SINGLETRACKS.COM about one of these pedals where after 8 months of riding the pedal snapped and left part of it to rip up a dudes calf and cost him a 1200 ER bill. I started thinking and while I doubted anything like that would happen to me I knew that the Shimano Saints had a reputation as being just reliable and awesome. I got to thinking pretty, skinny, and colorful wasn't going to mean squat if they didn't perform well. And who can argue with the saints price? So I just bit the bullet and bought some.

mtbr member
    I am having a hard time hating Odyssey JCPC pedals. might buy some for my commuter bike. JC PC « Odyssey BMX

mtbr member
    or I might try these El Guapo Delgado Pro Pedal | Planet X . $27.50, sealed bearings, cheap spare parts available cheap, free shipping. only two reviews on the On-One UK site both say they didn't have enough grip, but I wonder if some slightly longer pins would solve that.