Plain Old Chainring- Mtbr.com
    And He was Not

Plain Old Chainring

Does anyone besides Surly still make a Non ramped, NON Narrow Wide Alloy Chain ring.

Would love to find a 4 bolt 96 for Shimano 8000 cranks, but I can install my old 104 bcd cranks if I can find a ring
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

WillWorkForTrail
    I doubt it. You only need ramps if you want to shift, and narrow wide stuff doesn't shift well, so if you don't plan to shift (no ramps) it's pretty much all narrow wide for better retention. What, specifically are you looking for? Is there is a reason you need non narrow wide, or is it just a retro-grouch desire to have?

mtbr member
    Maybe he needs a chainring with an odd number of teeth?

mtbr member
    The only reason to not get a n-w ring is if you need an odd-tooth count like a 33t. Otherwise, n-w is better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    The only reason to not get a n-w ring is if you need an odd-tooth count like a 33t. Otherwise, n-w is better.

How is n/w better for ss? Just curious.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Less likely to drop a chain if you lose tension or your chainline is a little off.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    How is n/w better for ss? Just curious.
    I have never worried about dropping a chain, but have been using a OneUp n-w chainring that has held up surprising well. Originally purchased it when building up my Unit, because I do not even know if it possible to get a direct mount non n-w ring for Sram GXP cranks and more so, it was on sale at JensonUSA dirt cheap. With the additional size of every other tooth, I have wondered if the n-w configuration has contributed to its longevity.

Anyway....back to the OP's question. Ran plenty of these over the years and still available for what you want.
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...0&category=648
    Last edited by BrianU; 09-27-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Less likely to drop a chain if you lose tension or your chainline is a little off.

So good for people who don't maintain their bikes?

For those who do I can't see any advantages, probably no disadvantages either though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    ever had an axle slip in the middle of a ride and didn't notice it until later? I would imagine that's happened to all of us. I am not a racer, but I would hate to have to stop in the middle of a race to tighten a chain. even the most fastidious mechanic an lose some chain tension while riding and a n-w ring helps mitigate that.

I've had chainrings drop chains simple from overloading my drivetrain while making a big effort on a steep section. even when the chain was already uber-tight, a n-w ring might have helped. even then, a super tight chain wears your drivertrain and bearings out faster, so the luxury of a smoother chain with a little play in it is a nice way to avoid drivetrain destruction.

And He was Not
    Cant use a 1/2 link on a Narrow wide. and I'm real close to the end of my adjusters.

I've always used KMC 610 Chains, They tend to stay on just fine with out the narrow wide. I didn't see any standard rings listed on Jenson site, but I found a few on Universal.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    ah, I get that. I try to avoid half-links (they literally stretch) unless trying to perfect a magic gear setup, but glad to hear you've figured out why they don't play nice with n-w rings.

mtbr member
    SRAM still have SS chainrings available including 33t
    Just go and asked your LBS to order you one or more.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Endless bike makes them. I've got a couple unused (raffle prizes for an upcoming singlespeed event) and they are gorgeous.

They have even tooth chainrings in N-W and odd-toothed in regular.

https://endlessbikes.com/products/si...ic-chainrings/

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Cant use a 1/2 link on a Narrow wide. and I'm real close to the end of my adjusters.

I've always used KMC 610 Chains, They tend to stay on just fine with out the narrow wide. I didn't see any standard rings listed on Jenson site, but I found a few on Universal.
    I used the KMC 610 chain for years and never even realized it came with a half link until I was comparing an old one I had in the garage, to a new 8-speed chain that I was going to use for another bike with the same gearing. Beast of a chain and really like the traditional master link over the powerlink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    +1 on this. Itís frustrating that manufacturers are solving for a problem that I donít have with SS.

Anyone know if thereís a non-narrow wide option for Race face cinch? Iíd love to find a 30t, non-narrow wide cinch ring so I can run a 1/2 link...

mtbr member
    I have a low milage red 32t 104bcd vintage :lol hbc ring that I could be talked out of

also have a mint black 33t white industries ENO hbc ring for others reading this thread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    +1 on this. Itís frustrating that manufacturers are solving for a problem that I donít have with SS.
    99.8% of the customers who buy single rings need a narrow-wide because they are using a huge 10 or 11 speed drivetrain. Making a ring without the chain retention abilities of a n-w would be catering to a tiny sliver of a niche within their customer base that is dedicated singlespeeders. Riders who use a half-link is an even smaller sliver of that niche. Financially, why bother when you can just make n-w rings that everyone can use?

mtbr member
    Financially, why bother when you can just make n-w rings that everyone can use?
    Yep, I get all of that from a business perspective. I'd do the same thing if I were them. And it's what I meant when I said that manufacturers are "solving for a problem I don't have." I was the operative word. I was being selfish. But it still kinda pisses me off that I spent a ton of $ on a RF Next SL crankset for my blinglespeed only to realize that can't dial in my chain length with a 1/2 link...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCSS View Post
    But it still kinda pisses me off that I spent a ton of $ on a RF Next SL crankset for my blinglespeed only to realize that can't dial in my chain length with a 1/2 link...
    Does that crankset use a direct mount ring? Is there a DM spider available you can put on that crank? That might allow you to use a slightly different gear combination with an odd tooth count ring.

mtbr member
    Does that crankset use a direct mount ring? Is there a DM spider available you can put on that crank?
    Yep, OneUp makes a DM spider and so does Wolftooth. But both only use their own, proprietary rings, and both are N/W... RF also sells one, but it introduces another problem... I have to run the RF cinch chainring "flipped" to get the chainline necessary to clear the chainstay yoke on my 29+ frame. I need to figure out if/how to achieve this chainline with a "regular" spider and ring spacing... Sorry for all of my first world problems.

WillWorkForTrail
    What if you ran a N/W chainring and changed to an odd tooth count cog to tweak what you need chain wise without the half link?

mtbr member
    yeah, changing the cog would dial the length in but it would change your gear ratio drastically, but I think you'd get used to it quickly.

mtbr member
    Yeah, Iíve been trying to keep the same relative gain ratio. Switching to 28x19 from 30x20 wouldíve done the trick - except I didnít have enough room with my paragon rockers to take up the slack! I suppose I could go 30x19 and just htfu... But I really like cleaning techy climbs. Oh, the humanity. Thanks for the ideas.

mtbr member
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Vuelta-SE-Fla...ack/2170551227

These are pretty lightweight too.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes